cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offpeak and OnpeakPeriods

trigat
Grafter

When did these new offpeak and onpeak periods come into force from what i can gather, peak time is now 8am til midnight, this caused me to go over my usage last month (which i have been monitoring regularly to make sure i don't go over), don't you think you should email your customers to let them know abvout such a major change in policy.
Or is it just me perhaps i should have better physic powers.
19 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

The 8am - Midnight peak times, for certain protocols on Premier and for everything on Plus, have been in place since early in December. However, as per This Post this will be changing back to 4pm - Midnight for everything during April.
Community Veteran

Just this time, the usage levels move with them.. Funny how they didnt move when the times went the other way...

Increase length of peak times, keep usage levels the same - leave a few months, let everyone get used to it, then reduce the hours back to where they were before, but reduce the hours with it to make it look "fair".

End result, same peak hours as we had before December, but with less usage.

Great!

Whatever will Plusnet think of next. God forbid they buy enough capacity to service their users with anything more than a bog basic service.

3GB usage on BB+?? What kind of joke is that? 100mb a day? I suppose I could always give up work or become nocturnal, then I could use my connection off peak too - is BB+ now just designed for students, OAP's, people who work nights and the unemployed?
JonathanW
Grafter

There wasn't any other peak time for Plus before December, as it was managed in a different way to the Premier package. Which is why the guideline of 5GB was introduced at the same time as the peak period of 8am - Midnight.

Plus is, and always has been, designed with the light users in mind, the people who want a bit of usage but not as much as the Premier package offers. Its never been designed with heavy users in mind, at £14.99 a month it isn't possible to design it in any other way.

If you're not happy with Plus, and your usage is fairly light, then I'd suggest taking a look at the PayG package, especially with the fact that from April we'll not be counting your over night usage towards the paid for allowance each month.
Community Veteran

Any chance of having a product that actually caters for people who are at work during the day, and dont want to stay up overnight to use the net, as they have to (strangeley enough) get up for work in the morning?

I would hazard a guess that over 95% of my usage is during the hours of 5 to 11.

Chewing through 3GB is easy work with even normal browsing.

BB+ was advertaised as being suitable for those of us that dont want to use P2P or usenet ect or heavy downloading. Which I dont. I just want to use my internet connection for administering a forum, and general web browsing. effectivley limiting that to 100mb a day is ridiculous.

Just at the time that things like streaming media and dynamic pages are becoming more popular with the average user, plusnet reduce the ammount of data the average user can use... Great thinking.

From the graphs I saw when visiting Plusnet, the usage between 8am and 4pm was not two fifths of the entire usage between 8am and midnight. The times may have been reduced, but the reduction in usage allowance is not representative of the actual usage used in that timeframe.

Therefore the usage limits now in place are much more restrictive.

Same old story from Plusnet, throtling, shaping, limiting, blocking, removing. Anything other than using some of the profit to actually buy enough capacity.

Anyway, Im not going to change my usage, if I get caught by the new limits, Im off. Cant say fairer than that.

Just a shame Plusnet can't service the needs of their customers without having to penalise an ever enlarging number of their other customers.
trigat
Grafter

Just at the time that things like streaming media and dynamic pages are becoming more popular with the average user, plusnet reduce the ammount of data the average user can use... Great thinking.

Thats a very good point recently i've been watching bbc programming via the bbc website, and i can only imagine that it's going to get more and more popular with companies like as sky now doing sky by broadband, how do plus net intend to cope with more and more customers using these facilities.
Community Veteran

By making BB+ useless for anything than email receiving and viewing static flat pages once in a while.

As the more bandwidth hungry sites and services become more popular, they can then convince the tens of thousands of BB+ customers, attracted by the £14.99 price and the previous limits, to then sign up for the premier service which has higher than needed specifiaction for the average user, resulting in more profit.

Simple but effective. And like lambs to the slaughter people will swallow it.
JonathanW
Grafter

The future, where things such as Streaming and Sky By Broadband become ever more popular, is something that we're planning for. The idea behind building the managed broadband platform is so that applications such as this can be allowed to run whilst not having an adverse effect on other users. Streaming is something that we're planning for, as this is a latency sensitive protocol and something that is given high priority through our network during the busier times.

Where as applications such as Sky By Broadband, which operate using p2p, aren't going to require the same level of priority during peak hours, as they're not really an interactive application. So people will be encouraged to use them over night, so that the show is ready for watching the following day.
Community Veteran

LOL - what a farce... :roll:

Welcome to the information on demand era. Television on demand, radio on demand, information on demand...

Unless of course your ISP cant cope with the demand and then you will see restrictions to make your "Information on demand era" actually a "delayed information era"

So lets get this straight. In order to plan for the future, and all the information on demand services that are coming. Plusnet are taking the "please do it at a quiet time and watch it later" approach.

How very forward thinking.

Are you asking your users to live in a 12 hour time delayed bubble?Huh
N/A

The problem is Jon, that the bandwidth mangement isn't working. For whatever reasons people are epxeriencing standstills in some protocols (see the P2P and USENET threads) but also massive latency in gaming and other time-senstive protocols, pink spikes and overall packetloss.
As I've said elsewhere, I get what is trying to be done, but that is all anyone from PlusNet ever talks about, ideas and aspirations. In the meantime customers are suffering.
I'm running the L8NC tool, which has been suggested, and it shows problems. On top of this I have local tools (like SmokePing) which also show problems. I'm getting packetloss to plusnet's own DNS servers, when all my connection is being used for, is pings and traces. As soon as I actually try to use my connection (or it's peak time) the situation just gets worse.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Thats a very good point recently i've been watching bbc programming via the bbc website, and i can only imagine that it's going to get more and more popular with companies like as sky now doing sky by broadband, how do plus net intend to cope with more and more customers using these facilities.

Isn't that where Multicasting comes in? PlusNet would configure their server to forward on the BBCi datastream.

I think there is some sort of trial going on at the moment. I'm not sure that they need 320 Kbps x No Of Viewers.

TIA
Stephen

I edited my post to include this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Chewing through 3GB is easy work with even normal browsing.

Really?

I'm working from home so I'm on all day and evening and I wouldn't call my usage particlarly light - I spend a fair amount of time using VPN. However as I don't do P2P and little binary usenet it's fair to compare my usage with BB Plus (it's always been clear that that account isn't suited to people with requirements in that direction). I sometimes listen to radio stations and often watch the BBC news clips.

For many months I was on PAYG with 4GB included - I've recently upgraded to the new special 10GB PAYG as I've started using binary usenet more.

It appears to me that a lot of people who chose BB Plus were looking mainly at one thing - the price. For a considerable length of time they have been getting away with using the product way beyond the way the product was described. Plusnet hoped that people would be sensible and they could allow considerable latitude - they were wrong, many users extracted the urine. Now they are enforcing usage in accordance with the product description.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
trigat
Grafter

Wouldn't streaming tv count against our usage, depending on the quality of the broadcast i would imagine it would soon use up our allowances at peak time, unless plus net are planning to implement different allowances for different protocols which would make it even more confusing than it is now.
Community Veteran

Oh I dont disagree that many users on BB+ extracted the urine. But then yet again we see plusnet take a sledgehamer to crack a nut. Instead of dealing with the users causeing the problem, they shaft the service for everyone.

As someone who does not use their connection for P2P, Usenet or any other file sharing app. I use it for running my forum and browsing the net.

So far this month I have used about 1.4GB in 14 days. Strangely enough 100mb a day on average. Of course some days its next to nothing, but other days I may want to backup my forum, which is 90mb (inc database) in one go. Which will see me sail close to the wind on the 3GB threshold. Hence why 5GB was great.

Anyone from Plusnet care to show a usage graph for BB+... I dont remember 8am to 4pm accounting for two fifths of the usage between 8am and midnight. Yet thats what has been taken away with the reduction of the peak hours..
N/A

I would love to have a good old moan about peak time usage and all that it entails. However, I am what you might call 'lazy', I cant really be bothered to change ISP's & I cant be bothered to complain on the forums too much.

What I would like from PN however, is a bit more help in managing my 'PTU' (Peak Time Usage). Maybe some amendments to the 'View My Usage' or the 'Am I In Trouble Button' as I call it. I give an example below.