cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off peak start at exactly midnight?

N/A

Just curious. Last month i ws put onto lvl 3 management and i noticed it didnt go to full speed until 1am sometimes, so does this mean that PNs off peak meter is somewhat inaccurate?

If i start a download at 12:01 will it definately not go onto peak time useage or is it recomended to wait till 2am just to make sure im on off peak time?

Mainly asking as i can get about 800mb an hour and if the off peak doesnt work till 1am thats 20% of my total months useage gone.

Im not trying to start a flame fest, and this is a serious question.
32 REPLIES
jimmcginty
Grafter

Yep noticed that to, as have a few other people

Usually starts at 12:30 am according to my graphs.

Jim
N/A

redesdale,

I have hijacked someones connection to have a quick scout round the boards so please dont expect me to answer if you ask a question to me.

Your usage will go onto your off peak usage meter from midnight onwards. The ellacoyas are a little slow at letting go on the strong hold they have on peoples connections and I dont know why this is.

But as far as usage is concerned you are safe you will be measured as using off peak from midnight on ( i always use 00:05 as a rule to be safe ).

Regards,
N/A

It seems to start when it likes, after midnight. I downloaded a 646MB demo from the Xbox Live Marketplace the other week, well after midnight, yet the VMU put it down almost fully (maybe 80% of it) to being *before midnight*. I wasn't too impressed, but seeing as my usage is under the SUP levels it didn't worry me too much.
N/A

hmm,

I dare say I have never had that happen before.

I think this is another good reason for running your own monitoring software that monitors your routers activity ( such as the one in my sig ).

Although at the moment my router wont be doing nothing as I am left to either use my PDA or hijack other peoples connections to look on these here boards.

Perhaps asking Plusnet about this might help.

I would say that using your own software monitoring tool and then checking it against the Plusnet one to be on the safe side Wink
N/A

What good does that do when you get part-way through the month though and just tip the scale on PN's VMBU readout, and they whack you with a management email? Like I say it's not an issue for me as my usage isn't high enough to get them (currently/yet), but would PN really care (and retract the management email) if I proved to them with my own stats that the VMU data isn't showing the truth? I doubt it somehow.

So what anyone who is bordering on the edge of the management levels/SUP allowances needs to be wary of is the fact that downloads "just after midnight" (and I'm not too sure how long after this is - I'm sure mine was about 12:40am!) could well eat out of the "peak time" allowance. Do we have to give an extra amount of time as a buffer at the start of the "off peak" just to be on the safe side now?
N/A

ukdsl,

Not at all. You shouldnt have to allow for any sort of buffer. As for contending Plusnet about the VMBU if you used something like what I used that monitors 24/7 and is software based you have a good stand point. Me personally for the sake of 5mb etc isnt worth it but if like you say our downloading and your getting 240kb/s 40 minutes is a long time and could eat a hell of a lot out of your allowance.

The way I see it is if you dont try or arent willing, then there aint no point getting worried about it or even getting angry about it.
Sounds nasty I know, but thats how I see it.

Regards,
N/A

The way I see it is if you dont try or arent willing, then there aint no point getting worried about it or even getting angry about it.
Sounds nasty I know, but thats how I see it.

Like I say, I'm not worried about it (hence why I didn't bring it up when I noticed it the other week, but having seen it be discussed here I thought it was worth adding my experience to the topic as some background info), so not really too fussed about doing anything about it right now - if my circumstances and usage change, maybe it'll be a different matter.

I do however feel that PlusNet should look in to this, as it does seem there's a possible problem with how accurately transfer is being measured to the times of the day, and when "off peak" usage is being mis-reported as "peak" and people risk getting penalised for it, that seems to be a major issue which needs fixing.

So I'd like to know (much like the OP's original question) at what time at/after midnight we're safe in knowing it's definitely only being counted as "off peak" and isn't in any way being counted as "peak" transfer.
N/A

I had a similar problem on my Plus account. I got on and started downloading just after midnight one day and it still added some 80MB or so of download to the previous day.

Perhaps adding a message to the broadand usage page so you can confirm what PN's systems think the day / peak status is? (although we're still waiting on seperate peak / off-peak graphs for this page as it is...)
N/A

Perhaps adding a message to the broadand usage page so you can confirm what PN's systems think the day / peak status is? (although we're still waiting on seperate peak / off-peak graphs for this page as it is...)

You shouldn't have to go to the portal though, log in, check the VMU, just to check that it's "past midnight" on the allowance counting, when it's gone "00:00" on the clock. Midnight should mean midnight. I can understand a couple of minutes either side (possibly) due to clocks drifting and things processing a couple of minutes out of sync, but it seems that usage is being mis-reported for quite some time outside of the actual times that it's meant to be.

Hopefully PlusNet can provide some further info.
N/A

Wait so what happens if i go out and set off a download at say 11:30pm....does the adding up stop at midnight or does it carry on as i started at 11:30? may be a daft question but was just wondering.

Sorry for the slight highjack there.
JonathanW
Grafter

It will stop counting at midnight, even if the download is starting during one time frame and finished in a different one.
N/A

shadowbane,

What ordinarily happens is that for the 30 minutes prior to midnight you would see the usage added to Peak time. and the rest after midnight added to off peak.
This is still very much the case ( as in it will automatically move the download onto off peak when it kicks in ). The problem is though that midnight does not appear to be midnight but rather more the new 23:00, or at least this seems to be the general look of things.

If there are many reported cases then this is something that would need to be looked into as its looking more and more in this way that things like management are able to kick in bang on the minute or hour but arent released as quickly.

Perhaps if everyone were to monitor their usage from certain hours till certain hours etc or have a timer built into the monitoring software then this could be presented to Plusnet.

I dont think the tool is of any use broken, but it may need everyone to gather the evidence to have something done about it.

Regards,
N/A

You shouldn't have to go to the portal though, log in, check the VMU, just to check that it's "past midnight" on the allowance counting, when it's gone "00:00" on the clock. Midnight should mean midnight. I can understand a couple of minutes either side (possibly) due to clocks drifting and things processing a couple of minutes out of sync, but it seems that usage is being mis-reported for quite some time outside of the actual times that it's meant to be.

Did some further testing on this last night. I waited until the VMU page had updated to show the highlight on Thursday, so there shouldn't have been any clock sync issues, then kicked off a download.

This morning, I check VMU and 140MB of the download has been added to Wednesday's quota.

Working from the rough download speed I know I was getting from the site, that's about 20min of download.
N/A

I think an explanation and perhaps a look into this by Plusnet might help matters.

Seems odd though that the portal highlights thursday but adds the usage to wednesday's quota. Something is or is most likely not functioning right.