cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off peak download limits

curleydel
Dabbler

Off peak download limits

Hi all, I've just found bittorrents and I'm on Premier 1, are there any limit to the off peak downloading, because the last week has seen my useage rocketing. Have searched the forums and PN home but all I can find is the peak time limits.
Cheers everyone Curleydel. Cheesy Wink
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Off peak download limits

Officialy there are no off peak limits published and they are not set in tablets of stone Smiley
However if you exeed somewhere in the region of 10OGB in a month you may get a finger wagged at you. Sad

Just be sensible and only download what you need and you shouldn't run into any trouble with off peak downloads. Smiley
curleydel
Dabbler

Off peak download limits

Cheers for that John, I see you have to be a bit careful, you could hit that 100Gig in a week or so. I'll have to calm down a wee bit and only use it a few days a week.
You be lucky Wink
Alecto
Grafter

Off peak download limits

I definitely saw a post from a Pn employee - James I think it was, in the days when he was writing no limits in red letters - in answer to the same question, and he said that they have customers who download 300GB off peak and they have no problem with that.

Not that I'd risk it myself, even if I could find that much stuff I wanted. :lol:

Perhaps James would care to confirm that this is still the case?
Liam
Grafter

Off peak download limits

Basically, we have no problems with you guys making use of the network when it is least busy. This is during off-peak hours. For these reason we don't enforce set limits on off-peak usage.

I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're downloading - we'll let you know if we consider it excessive or if it's affecting the network / other users.
Sandro
Grafter

Off peak download limits

lmartin, thank you for saying that. It makes sense since the PN counter doesn't show the usage correctly. According to the PN usage meter I hit the 100 GB off-peak a while ago - contrary to the fact that my traffic controller shows 71Gb off-peak.
I would prefer to believe my little program - since my hard drive is only 80 Gb. Wink And the recorder doesn't work for more than a month.
Since I allegedly hit this 100GB I had limited myself whith downloading of one 51mb file once a day (which is a radio program coming via usenet) and watch a prerecorded, 40 mb, half-an-hour TV programme - all in the off-peak time. Still the PN counter shows daily usage from 327 to 580 mb.
I didn't bother to raise a ticket knowing the problems CS face at the moment.
Taking in consideration of the above facts, I guess, the attitude you show is only fair one. Thanks, I am one of the folks who had been worring.
Alecto
Grafter

Off peak download limits

@russica
I suggest you save a link to this post so you can quote it when / if you get warned off using so much.

Plusnet policy is not always as consistent as they present it.
N/A

Off peak download limits

Geoff,

I think that the words you were thinking of were "No Defined Limits" thus leaving it as an ever changing value depending on the habits of others aswell.

From what I understand though and in support of Liams statement as far as im aware all that will happen in the end of the day is your connection will be profiled if you are deemed as using excessive amounts of bandwidth. But dont quote me.
Alecto
Grafter

Off peak download limits

as far as im aware all that will happen in the end of the day is your connection will be profiled if you are deemed as using excessive amounts of bandwidth. .

That's what I mean.
You're told there are no "fixed" limits and suddenly your connection gets "profiled" (= throttled). I'd hate that to happen to anybody who took Liam at his word. Not that one can't believe what Liam says of course. He's only passing on what the higher ups tell him.

ps cool avatar, Tom, but the flashing eyes have been done :lol:
and my cat even meows as well (thanks John)
Liam
Grafter

Off peak download limits

@russica
I suggest you save a link to this post so you can quote it when / if you get warned off using so much.

I'm pretty sure I covered myself on this :

I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're downloading - we'll let you know if we consider it excessive or if it's affecting the network / other users.

It's a very very small minority that ever cause any problem with excessive bandwidth usage. Therefore, by the law of averages I would expect this user to have no such problems.

I've simply advised that he need not worry too much about how much he's using off-peak - and that we'll contact him if it becomes a cause for concern. Fairly clear I thought.
Alecto
Grafter

Off peak download limits

No probs Liam.
I'd have left it as you said it, but Tom implied in his post that Plusnet's way of "letting you know" you were using too much was by suddenly and out of the blue managing your connection rather than just "letting you know".
If it's the latter, than I withdraw my remarks.
James
Grafter

Off peak download limits

Has *anyone* on a Premier account received a warning for their *off peak* usage since the product refresh back in April?

I'd be very surprised if they had done.
amjrobson
Grafter

Off peak download limits

If a user were to go over a certain amount of off peak usage that Plusnet feel is excessive, is a warning email just sent, or is trafic shaping enabled on the users download instantly also.