Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom investigates ISP for selling vapourware

N/A

From AG:
http://www.adslguide.org/

Ofcom that it is has launched an own-initiative investigation as the result of complaints from the general public will be welcome news for customers with issues. The investigation looks set to look at whether Bulldog has contravened General Condition 11.1, which prohibits Communications Providers from billing customers for services that have not been provided.

Maybe there's hope for the Premier 4/8MB punters.

Simon
9 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Maybe I'm missing something - £29.99 is up to 4MB, so a 512 connection (or a 2MB connection) is met by the definition of the product (and therefor the service is being provided) - the case on Bulldog seems to be that they are issuing bills for services not being provided... although, I may be misinterpreting "Whether Bulldog is complying with the requirement not to issue bills to customers for services which have not been provided, and with its Code of Practice for handling complaints."
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately I believe you are correct Colin. Upto 8Mb and upto 4Mb is how they get out of it.
N/A

Some people - including obviously the ones whose BT exchanges won't be upgraded to these speeds - will see no benefit. I cannot imagine that a premium charge of £8 or £18 per month for a queue-jump "benefit" would be found to be legal if there is no queue to jump. No queue = vapourware.

Simon
N/A

Aditionaly, Ofcom are not looking into Bulldog because of vapouware.

The differance is that no service at all is being provided, but the charges are being made.
N/A

Could have implications for people who lose their connection and are billed for the downtime.

It depends if Bulldog have any SLA's in the contract and if it's only for new provisions which haven't been provided or leaving customers without a service.

MaxDSL, I believe, works a different way for the sync speed than the ADSl we are used to. The sync speeds will be much more rate adaptive and more variation in the speeds for each line. e.g. syncing at 2.1Mb/s , 3.43Mb/s etc
Community Veteran

MaxDSL will sync at 2Mbs -> 7Mbs at 0.5Mbs settings so you will have 2.0 or 2.5 but not 2.1 (which will be 2) or 3.43 (which will be 3). It will actually sync at the lower .5 increment to the actual speed tested.
N/A

Thanks for the clarification.
N/A

Could have implications for people who lose their connection and are billed for the downtime.

I'm not quite sure of this.

It's my understanding that Ofcom provide for instances of downtime, were neither the user is the cause or the ISP.

In these instances, the ISP can't hold their hands up and place blame until it is solved.

I realise I didn't exactly make things clear in my reply yesterday.

The investigation here, is regarding when a customer signs up, bulldog continiously charge the customer each month and either their DSL or phone does not work for months, even after reporting it.

In the instance of PlusNet (dodgy as it may be), they are actualy providing a service.
N/A

Not the case - users are charged for downtime because Ofcom didn't make BT Wholesale have any SLA's in the ADSL contracts Sad

Personally I think it's scandalous.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=unhappiness&Number=1989510&page=4&view=expanded&...

quote below from that thread - it's not me (I haven't had any major outages but I'm sure the original poster won't mind).

After a 3 week battle to get my ADSL working again, numberous phone calls and bad customer support from Plusnet I got back online.. After asking for them to not charge me for the month since I have had no ADSL and also been messed about i was told the following:

Actioned : Dear Mr Wilson,
Unfortunately we are unable to provide compensation for downtime due to an ADSL fault, as there is no service level agreement with BT who still charge for a non-working connection.

Regards,
Matt Taylor

--
2005-08-17 - 15:11:32: You
Assigned : I was informed by plusnet customer service during my many previous calls that I would receive a discount due to my service being off for so long. If this is not the case then I will be leaving plusnet as am already unhappy at how the previous call was handled.

--
Actioned : Dear Mr Wilson,
Unfortunately, dsicounting for the period of downtime will not be possible, as we are still charged for the service, even if the service is down.
ADSL does not have a service level agreement, and is not guaranteed to be up 100% of the time. WHilst it is unfortunate that the service was down, this was caused by issues beyond our control.

Regards,
Stephen Rose
--