cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK.....here's the challenge.......

N/A

OK.....here's the challenge.......

…….I want to set up a home network, to share my adsl connection, between my PC and my boys PC. I have no idea whether I require a router, a hub, or a team of technicians draining my wallet faster than I can fill it! Can anyone explain to me, in simple terms, what I need? There are, however, some considerations before you give me a reply:
1. Firstly, consider that you are replying to an imbecile, my 5 year old has more technical knowledge than I do. My teenage sons would also take great delight to explain, very condescendingly, what all the ‘technical terms’ that leave me with brain ache, really mean! I would so love to avoid that happening just once!
2. I want the two computers to be able to connect to the Internet indecently.
3. I want the two computers to be able to share files/drives etc.
4. The ‘main’ PC uses 98se and has a 10/100(?) Ethernet card.
5. The ‘upstairs’ PC uses ME and has a 10/100 Ethernet card
6. I have plusnets (excellent) adsl home connect through an alcatel speedtouchUSB modem. This is on the ‘main’ PC.
7. I may wish to add a third PC in the near future.

So? Can anyone out there meet the challenge?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: OK.....here's the challenge.......Amendment!

Ooops! For point 2 please replace ‘indecently’ with ‘independently’. I really must take more notice of my spellchecker!

…….I want to set up a home network, to share my adsl connection, between my PC and my boys PC. I have no idea whether I require a router, a hub, or a team of technicians draining my wallet faster than I can fill it! Can anyone explain to me, in simple terms, what I need? There are, however, some considerations before you give me a reply:
1. Firstly, consider that you are replying to an imbecile, my 5 year old has more technical knowledge than I do. My teenage sons would also take great delight to explain, very condescendingly, what all the ‘technical terms’ that leave me with brain ache, really mean! I would so love to avoid that happening just once!
2. I want the two computers to be able to connect to the Internet independently.
3. I want the two computers to be able to share files/drives etc.
4. The ‘main’ PC uses 98se and has a 10/100(?) Ethernet card.
5. The ‘upstairs’ PC uses ME and has a 10/100 Ethernet card
6. I have plusnets (excellent) adsl home connect through an alcatel speedtouchUSB modem. This is on the ‘main’ PC.
7. I may wish to add a third PC in the near future.

So? Can anyone out there meet the challenge?

N/A

RE: OK.....here's the challenge.......Amendment!

Hi there,
In light of you wanting expansion in the future you'll need an ADSL router and two ethernet cables. You then plug each cable into the ADSL router and into the back of a network card in the client machines.
The ADSL router acts as a mini computer, which contains an ASDL modem and stays dialled up all the time (or on demand, you normally specify) - and it shares out the connection between the machines connected to the ethernet ports.
Examples of hardware that does this are the NetGear DG814, the D-Link DSL-504. There's a page over at ADSLGuide with reviews of several (all except the ones labelled as 'modems') here:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/default.asp
That should be enough to get you going, feel free to ask over specifics if you get stuck.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: OK.....here's the challenge.......

I cant add anything from the adsl point of view, but...

in terms of file sharing, you can do so in a very limited manner. bascially you need to tell windows that you wish to share the hard drive(s) of the computers.

To do this you go to windows controll panel, netowrk, and make sure you enable the file and printer sharing, just accept windows defaults to get going. then right click on the drives you wish to share and you should get a sharing option. you can share folders if you dont want to share the entire drive.

Its not good its not secure but it will work, for gamming purposes it would be handy to add ipx/spx, on the network control panel, using add>protocal>microsoft(might not be needed)>ipx/spx add portocal.

you could in theory (my understanding only) share a dvd drive or cd drive etc if you felt the need of it.

--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net
N/A

The answer lies here

http://www.cspry.co.uk/computing/adsl_uk.html#ICS

Enjoy yourself

N/A

Thanks everyone....for once I might just do something without the usual gloating from my boys (I swear....they lay in wait....like vultures....for me to make a mistake!)

Someone has mentioned that file sharing is not safe....is this still the case if I buy a router with a firewall?