cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now FTP to PN Web Server doesn't work properly

Saturn
Grafter

So today's next problem (for me at least) is intermittent transfer of files to my PN hosted webspace. Evil

This was causing transfer failures until I doubled the timeout period (now 2 mins). Anyone else having the same problems?
25 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

Correction, just increased the timeout to 4 minutes!
Community Veteran

Is this to www or ccgi?

if www, have you tried ftp2.plus.net?

Have you tried both passive & active FTP transfer methods?

Have you tried without your software firewall running - these can sometimes go funny and effect connections?

Have you tried rebooting PC and ADSL equipment?
Saturn
Grafter

1. www

2. Please explain.

3. No, will try active.

4. I don't disconnect my firewall unless I am absolutely sure it's the source of the problem.

5. Yes.

Yesterday evening I transferred files without a problem, the problem has only arisen this evening. No settings have changed since yesterday and I have made many transfers before without incident. I am also very confident my firewall settings are satisfactory. All suggestions above are good (hmmm against 4) but I can't see how the problem is to do with the setup here.
Community Veteran

2. ftp2.plus.net is an alternate FTP server PN have which is recommended when people have problems using ftp.plus.net. It uses a different OS and FTP package which may be more compatible with some email clients.

4. Firewalls are not foolproof and do go 'funny' from time to time. I understand your concerns about disbaling it but you only need to do so for the purpose of testing an FTP transfer to prove if it is at fault or not. It is to eliminate it as a cause and I have known many cases where the firewall has been at fault.
Community Veteran

It's all working for me. COuld it be related to the dns problems?

A
Community Veteran

Not once an FTP connection is established as it only uses DNS to find the correct IP to connect to.
N/A

Thanks for the info, that will help me as well.

Yes, I also get dodgy ftp connections on my PN hosted webspace. Timeout errors regularly. I use cute ftp 7 professional, I will try the ftp2 next time. Doesn't make a difference if I close my firewall down, still get timeout errors.
Saturn
Grafter

Well tried the options (except ftp2) with no improvement. At one point I couldn't even see the files I had already uploaded to the server. I reckon there's a server problem.

How do I access the ftp2.plus.net server then? Normally I logon to ftp.mydomain with my username and password. I assume this accesses the ftp.plus.net server. How is the alternative defined, ftp2.mydomain?
Saturn
Grafter

I've been doing a bit of experimentation and on one occasion I got an error message saying there was no more space.

Could it be that the storage space is full and the transfer locks up until either some space is made by someone else deleting files or the transfer times out. The symptoms would suggest so.
sinewave
Grafter

2. ftp2.plus.net is an alternate FTP server PN have which is recommended when people have problems using ftp.plus.net. It uses a different OS and FTP package which may be more compatible with some email clients.

I've been having the same problems recently: timeouts and slowdowns. The speed issue was particularly annoying at 3.30am when I couldn't leave for bed without seeing things uploaded properly (well you can't can you!)

Having already tried other FTP clients etc etc I called PN twice about this...

I was NOT told about the alternative server to try.
I WAS told BT does not guarantee upload speeds at all: "so my 1K speeds are in spec then?" I asked. "yes" was the reply.
I asked then why a few speed tester sites show my upload speed to be 200kb/s or more and I was told that "perhaps" the way the BT exchange handles different types of data could explain this. (!)
I queried that point but had no further explanation.
I clearly remember asking "Are you sure there is nothing at all that plusnet might be doing that could explain this behaviour with FTP?" and the answer was no.

I delved into the PN portal to read that FTP is a "low priority" service when it comes to traffic shaping.

hmmm... I thought.

I signed up for DotMac to get away from PN's FTP servers but I find it pretty similar in speed to PN. If DotMac is good, so is PN FTP.

Go figure.
Community Veteran

@saturnnet
The server won't have run out of space, but I guess you may have run out of your particular allocation of the space.
Check on the portal at > My Account > Website Settings

I'm not so sure that the figure shown is inclusive of any files you may have on the ccgi or not though.
kitz
Rising Star

>> is intermittent transfer of files to my PN

Been seeing it for the past week or so.
Reported it here:-

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,3473.0.html

>> COuld it be related to the dns problems?

I doubt it, since I dont have problems actually connecting to the server... its just very slow and unresponsive when you do.

In fact I dont even think its transfer speeds that are the problems either, since if you do a larger file the transfer isnt too bad.. small files are noticably slower because of the time it takes to respond to a command such as list.. or acknowledge that the actual file has been sucessfully loaded.

Take for eg when you upload a small file, the actual file seems to go up pretty quick.. then the ftp client just sits around and waits and waits until it gets a 226 transfer complete message.

>> I couldn't even see the files

Yes thats what I was reporting too.
The files will be there, but whenever you have uploaded a file.. or even connected, the server sends a directory listing to your ftp client which should tell it what files are stored on the server.
This is what Im finding is being particulary slow.
Saturn
Grafter

@seventhstar

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem. I have only used 47% and that's after successfully uploading all I wanted to after numberous attempts.

It seemed to improve after midnight and I'm wondering if it was something to do with the network shaping that PN do. I've never got close to any management threshold so I can't help feeling those Ellecoyas might have something to do with it all without justification; I don't have much confidence that they are really under control!
Community Veteran

Hi

I just ran a test upload (8MB), and found that it could max my upload rate out at 400Kbps+. However it was up and down to zero all through, with periods of no data throughput at all.
It did compete though.
Heres a pic showing the troughs and peaks. > Pic
Is this what you are getting - but with longer periods of no data activity?

I remember when the old PN binary nntp servers did this for a while. If I remember correctly, it was when we were complaining of slow downs, around the time they were first playing with the Ellacoyas!
(My memory isn't the best though, so dunno!)