cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not just PN....

N/A

Not just PN....

Just seen an article on the BBC News site about BT Broadband taking action against 3000+ users who use between 100GB and 200GB a month...

What I did find interesting was the comment from Andrew Craig of web user magazine:

Andrew Craig of Web User magazine says that 100 to 200GB a month was excessive for a personal user.

"These are generally people who are constantly downloading and uploading movies on file-sharing websites," he told the BBC.

(Removed the extra quote tag phpbb stuck in as it was too daft to noticed I'd manually closed it... hi ho)
17 REPLIES
N/A

Not just PN....

Don't think it's ever been said that it's only PlusNet...................
N/A

Not just PN....

Don't think it's ever been said that it's only PlusNet...................

To be fair to BT they have told their users about a 40G cap for some considerable time now. Exceeding the cap by a factor of between 2.5 and 5, rather than PN's approach of 1 byte over and you line is throttled to death, isn't too harsh.
N/A

Not just PN....

No, but PN's permier limit is 100GB over the month.

Remember the 30GB (soon to be 15gb) is peak time only, where as BT's 40GB is 40GB TOTAL.... slight difference there.
N/A

Not just PN....

Haha, too be completely honest...
people downloading that much should be investigated into.

And dare I repeat myself again? the problem plus is even the "normal" internet users 10gb month are being treated like hardcore users.

Im moving to Zen anyway, im about to phone and get my MAC code, im gonna pay the extra £3 month. I come home tonight and couldn't even have a reliable Chris Moyles Play Back from this morning, i mean theres poor service and then theres an utterly unbelivable crap service.

Bye PlusNET, im sure others are going to join me very soon *waves
N/A

Not just PN....

Hm, no.... 15GB Peak time limit - shaped after 10GB to prevent you running into the 15GB peak time limit and getting slapped down at that point, you've still got a pile of gig's to play with off peak.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Not just PN....

Remember the 30GB (soon to be 15gb) is peak time only, where as BT's 40GB is 40GB TOTAL.... slight difference there.

Actually the 30GB is staying as 30GB at peak time, at 15GB your connection will still work at up to 512kbps at peak time for everything bar P2P/FTP/Usenet.

I should note though that as I've said many times before where PlusNet lead other ISP's will follow. We took the lead in answering these questions 18 or so months ago, about creating a broadband product set ready for the faster speed services. We said then that other ISP's would have to address the issues and take action and we've been proven right.

Because we were the first we took a lot of flak, but now everyone else is stepping up to the plate and coming to the same conclusions we did back then and realising that they need to do something and quick.

18 months ago we started building the managed broadband platform, how many other ISP's are going to be ready in time? It's an interesting time ahead and again PlusNet will be leading the way.
N/A

Not just PN....

I wish this whole argument would go away so we can concentrate on the real problems. There is a very very small percentage of customers who have ever used that amount of bandwidth or wanted to and most of those left a long time ago.
Most people's problems with PlusNet over the last 6 months have not been with trying to deal with those who use far more than their 'fair share' of bandwidth, but with the confusing products, misinformation, massive drop in support levels, denial of problems (or dealing with them) and the effect of all this on the average users experience.
If people want to argue about unlimited usage versus capped usage, great, feel free. But to be honest it's a tired argument with zealots on either side and detracts from the real issues that need to be dealt with.
N/A

Not just PN....

I didn't really start this post to start a row just to point out that where as PN are trying to manage the issue proactively (and being brave about it in the process) others are remaining in the use it alot and we'll drop you camp.

The proactive management (ie shaping etc) is having a few, err 'issues', but I suspect overtime it will be the normal method for dealing with bandwidth not the exception.
N/A

Not just PN....

What are people using their connection for when they are transfering 100Gb + per month!!
N/A

Not just PN....

Shocked I don't know you know Tongue

Maybe its Gigabytes of Movies, Music, Apps and Games Wink

Nah...... course not, who in there right mind would do that LOL
N/A

Not just PN....

I didn't really start this post to start a row just to point out that where as PN are trying to manage the issue proactively (and being brave about it in the process) others are remaining in the use it alot and we'll drop you camp.

The proactive management (ie shaping etc) is having a few, err 'issues', but I suspect overtime it will be the normal method for dealing with bandwidth not the exception.

Unfortunately solstans, there are a lot of us who know, understand and appreciate what PlusNet are doing, but far to often we get the 'we're doing this first, we're great' rammed down our throats (no offence to you or Dave). I for one feel insulted by this. There have been far too many things that have been sold as progress but are basically PlusNet experimenting on paying customers. Time and time again we pay for being used as guinea-pigs with little or no information about what is going on and no acceptance that it's changes which have been made that are causing these problems. I totally accept that leaving things alone or leaving them unchecked would have caused at least as many problems, but for gods sake please stop shoving the marketing line at us. I want the 'vision' to succeed but i don't want to be played for a fool.
So you see, I'm sorry, but making another post waving the PlusNet flag was always going to be divisive. Whether you intended it to or not.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Not just PN....

and another -

"BT is cracking down on data gluttons, notifying around 3,000 of its broadband users that they will either have to cut down or pay up for excessive use of its broadband connections.

BT is not alone in curbing its more enthusiastic users. Only a week ago Freedom2Surf took similar action.

(From PC Pro web site)
N/A

Not just PN....

No, but PN's permier limit is 100GB over the month.

But BT aren't stopping people downloading < 100Gig (same as PN), they've given them PLENTY of notice and warnings (unlike PN who tend to tell you after the event) and their service wasn't sold as unlimited.
Community Veteran

Not just PN....

BT did sell unlimited services many moons ago, but you're correct, they dont know, but then again neither was PlusNet's when you signed up.