cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not disconnected but no connection

kilmar
Dabbler

Using Premium and a Voyager 205 I have recently started to suffer from this problem. I timeout on connections to Agent, Firefox, Opera and Outlook Express. I connect to the router and it`s showing connected and sometimes reconnecting solves the problem and other times I have to reboot.

Woulod some kind person point me in the right direction?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES
rz2k7
Grafter

Been having the exact same problem over the past two days.
Using a Netgear DG834G router.
When it happens, on my router stats it shows as connected to the exchange but get no IP from plusnet.
So far it hasn't happened since so not sure if it's router or possible dns issues. I have got my router to auto discover dns.
Snarf
Grafter

Mine is the same, I have a Netgear 834G aswell. Both PN and the router say I have not been disconnected, however my l8nc graph shows massive packet loss (which would cause an effect like disconnection but not actually disconnect you).

Could I suggest signing up to l8nc and monitoring your line? I'm interested to see if it looks like mine here. 40 spikes yesterday, around 20 so far today - it does make things like online gaming really hard. The solution given by a CSC analyst was to turn off interleaving but this might leave the line unstable. I've asked them to do this, but also enquired if there was any other solution.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Not disconnected but no connection

Woulod some kind person point me in the right direction?

Hi,

It's difficult to say, looking at your connection logs there are a few disconnections all showing as user request which could mean that there some kind of idle timeout setting on the router or could just be when you've disconnected/reconnected.

This is the sort of problem that's more likely to be a router problem than anything else especially if it's random, but there could be another cause. Don't suppose you are able to try a different modem or router?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Been having the exact same problem over the past two days.
Using a Netgear DG834G router.

Does it happen at midnight? I had this a week or two ago on the DG834G after upgrading the firmware to 3.01.31. Looks like the old midnight bug has crept back in, if you're on v3.01.31 then it's worth downgrading back to 3.01.25.
rz2k7
Grafter

Hi,
The router is version 3 and running firmware 4.01.20.
It happened only twice over the past two days and so far not since.
When it did happen, in the router status it shows as synced at 8128down 448up, but in the ADSL port section there was no IP address or gateway ip.
I've had the router for a month with this firmware so it may be buggy. If it does it again i'll try an older firmware.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If it was overnight then it could have been this:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1170340497.htm

That maintenance work has been going on for a while and could have caused a disconnection or two.