cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a moan.. I really need some help (OK, NOW IT'S A MOAN!)

Community Veteran

Hi

I am trying to get torrents working on my PC and running in to some problems that I can’t work out so would like some help with please :-)

Firstly I know that Plusnet sometimes throttles P2P traffic but I am pretty sure this isn’t my problem; as I am only getting about a 2k per second download outside peak hours, although upload will go as high as 32k per second.

Having looked around the net I see the most common problem is likely to be the port for the torrent client isn’t visible reducing my download rate… I have tried the following:-

1. I have turned off my firewall.. Zone Alarm (Free).

2. I have turned off the Windows firewall

3. I have temporarily uninstalled ZA. (Sometimes it looks like services keep running after regular closing.)

4. I have set a rule on my router firewall to allow TCP/UDP traffic in and out on the same port that the bit torrent client listens to.

5. I have tried different torrent clients.

6. Even when tried individually or in combination www.grc.com “shields up” port test shows stealth even if the torrent client is running.

I can’t see much else to change on the router?

I have even tried a very popular torrent and left it running for a day in case it was to do with seed, leecher or upload ratios… but even if 50% through the torrent it still runs like a dog.

Anyone have any ideas please?…
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Which account type are you on - Broadband Plus, PAYG or Premier?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Re: Not a moan.. I really need some technical help!

Hi
Firstly I know that Plusnet sometimes throttles P2P traffic but I am pretty sure this isn’t my problem; as I am only getting about a 2k per second download outside peak hours, although upload will go as high as 32k per second.

First of all limit your uploads to 10k, saturating your upload will affect your download speeds. Also at 10k up I found it is still possible to browse a bit whilst running P2P.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Hi
Firstly I know that Plusnet sometimes throttles P2P traffic but I am pretty sure this isn’t my problem;

And I am pretty sure that it is.

as I am only getting about a 2k per second download outside peak hours, although upload will go as high as 32k per second.

Yes, hence my reason for thinking that you are also the victim of throttling. I get the same speeds as you. So do many others. PN will tell you the speed is a 'little' low. Basically if you can get dial-up speed on any torrent, consider yourself very lucky. A while back I was only getting 300BYTES!

Having looked around the net I see the most common problem is likely to be the port for the torrent client isn’t visible reducing my download rate…

Yes and No. You need an open port for other peers to be able to connect to you and download file pieces from. If you use a client like Azureus, it has auto UPnP port mapping (XP only) which will take care of port mappings if you are on a network.

1. I have turned off my firewall.. Zone Alarm (Free).

Very bad idea. You can leave ZA running it will not make any difference at all.

2. I have turned off the Windows firewall

Good idea: As long as you have ZoneAlarm running.

3. I have temporarily uninstalled ZA. (Sometimes it looks like services keep running after regular closing.)

Re-Install it. There is nothing wrong with ZA and I can assure you it is NOT affecting your torrent speeds.

4. I have set a rule on my router firewall to allow TCP/UDP traffic in and out on the same port that the bit torrent client listens to.

A) If your router is UPnP capable, you can set your torrent client (if it supports UPnP) to automatically setup the port mapping rules for your ports. B) Your torrent cllient only needs port mappings because it actually has an internal server so that other clients can connect to you. The client side of your torrent program doesn't need port mappings as it is an outgoing connection and can establish a direct connection to the internet using your PC's default gateway settings. The reason the port mappings must be setup is so that clients on the internet can connect to your Torrent clients internal server. Basically if it is running on a networked PC they will not be able to connect unless the traffic on that port is redirected to your PC for that port.

5. I have tried different torrent clients.

It will make no difference. PlusNet is throttling the heck out of all p2p traffic.

6. Even when tried individually or in combination www.grc.com “shields up” port test shows stealth even if the torrent client is running.

Shields up is a bit tempermental sometimes. While I recommend it for general security scanning (EG to find possible weaknesses in your own system/network) I wouldn't completely rely on it.

I can’t see much else to change on the router?

Because there is nothing else to change. Except your login name, password and ISP that you connect to.

I have even tried a very popular torrent and left it running for a day in case it was to do with seed, leecher or upload ratios… but even if 50% through the torrent it still runs like a dog.

ISP throttling.

Change ISP ASAP. Sorry, but you are (like the rest of us) victim of Plusnets throttling system. Sorry I know you didn't think you were but I can assure you that you are being throttled whether you like to admit it or not. They're not giving you any special treatment.

Get your MAC code and move to another ISP. Good luck.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

As the above poster said , its not you its plusnet throttling you.
I tried everything to make my p2p better , made no difference .

I changed ISP now p2p works . I was also on a premier account and my monthly usage was about 5gb.

Time for your MAC m8
bobbygeorge
Grafter

woot,

plusnet SOMETIMES throttle P2P traffic :shock:

Have you been living in a time warp ..

plusnet DO throttle P2P along with every other aspect of your service. I can assure you your problem is entirely down to plusnet.

the end !!!
GersFans
Grafter

I am trying to get torrents working on my PC

Through a Plusnet connection?? Damn good luck with that..

Run, run fast and dont look back!
N/A

its not just throttling of p2p. the real problem is the network being at a standstill through under provision of capacity, pretty much every protocol is affected, plusnet have even recently introduced speed limits on time sensitive applications (VOIP and gaming) so you can just forget about p2p, it isnt going to happen.
Community Veteran

Hmmmm ok I guess I was being naïve then.

That’s a real bummer, I am on bb+ so I expect throttling on some services at some times.

But I am not over my allowance and I have tried all this out off peak hours so according to Plusnet I shouldn’t be throttled?

It seems crazy that I can download files from websites at 700k a second all night if I chose to, but can’t get above 5k a second via P2P.

Thanks for all the input folks; at least I know it’s not my setup…

Plusnet, please will one of your staff comment here on why I am being throttled at off peak times… You regularly send me emails saying I have no restrictions outside of peak hours, just like the one below!

“Your peak-time usage for this billing month just exceeded 4GB.

Light restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the end of the current billing month.

<snip>

Remember, we don't count any of your usage outside of peak hours, and the restrictions on speed only ever apply within peak-time.”

What is the story Plusnet?
jagger
Grafter

I just spent four or five days getting a large file down via p2p.Once,and only once,it jumped to around 40Kbps but most of the time it ran at or below 0 - 8Kbps whilst uploading happily at whatever I set it at (generally <20Kbps)

My upload /download ratio at the end was better than 1.4 which all counts toward my usage don't forget.So the 1.5 Gig file ended up costing me 4 Gig of bandwidth.

I am on Premier which means I'm third in line for any bandwidth available.( Why call it Premier and not Tertiary ?)

You are a naughty person for trying to steal all of Plusnet's bandwidth like that.What do you think this is, a service or something? Wink
bobbygeorge
Grafter

Plusnet, please will one of your staff comment here on why I am being throttled at off peak times… You regularly send me emails saying I have no restrictions outside of peak hours, just like the one below!

unfortunatly we are all in the same situation as yourself, regardless of which BB account you are on plusnet will apply SEVERE throttling to your account irrespective of usage levels.

I'm on BB PREMIER UPTO 8Meg, My P2P,USENET,FTP speeds are pathetic, reaching only max of 5-8 KB/s up and down. This AFTER the so called service improvements implemented recently. I have soon NO improvement at all, only a further reduction is speed ..

see here for external comments, unbelievable ..

Best advice is to request your MAC as many others have, leave to a respectable ISP that will allow you to use your connection for what it is designed for and would welcome your service, look after you and provide you with the service you are paying for.

Simple as that

plusnet will not invest in extra capacity so the problems with speed will NOT improve.

Sad
Community Veteran

Sadly I think I am trapped. I have 700k a second web download, no problems with mail, surfing, games or VOIP. I don’t use news so the only problem is P2P.

I have looked around and the only non capped alternatives in the same price range < £20 seem to be 256k packages that would reduce my total bandwidth to 30-50k a second? Surely to God PlusNot could take the brakes of from midnight to 6.00am?

Bah!
bobbygeorge
Grafter

I have looked around and the only non capped alternatives in the same price range < £20 seem to be 256k packages that would reduce my total bandwidth to 30-50k a second?

err, uncapped Huh

If you are on BB+ you are certainly capped aswell aswell as being throttled. Of course the problem now is that you will also be throttled off peak so its a no win situation.

Also worth mentioning if you want P2P then you are on the wrong package anyway .. PREMIER is :roll: designed for P2P users not BB+

However, given the current state of the service it doesn't matter which package you are on, you will still see pathetic speeds.

entranet,newnet,zen many ISP's will welcome you, wouldn't you rather pay a bit more and get the service you want at full speed all day or pay plusnet and get a tenth of the service you are paying for ..

The answer is obvious, hence the huge migration out of here ..
Community Veteran

Well BB+ is “sort of” uncapped. After 4 gig of peak time services are throttled in peak hours, but as even then I get 400k per second on web downloads It hasn’t been a problem.

I really don’t see why I should change packages to do a little P2P occasionally and as I said in an earlier post according to plusnit I am not throttled outside peak hours. And as you say its irrelevant what package folks are on.

As for paying more, that’s all well and good for those that can afford it. But if you are on a tight budget its not so easy.

The only part of my service that isn’t as advertised is that P2P is throttled to nothing 24/7 and to my mind Plusnot would be keeping to their terms with my BB+ contract if they didn’t throttle it outside peak, obviously I would like it to work inside peak as well!

When I signed up for BB+ over two years ago there was nothing said about crippling services, just that there would be progressive shaping linked with “no” usage limit…. Now the logical conclusion of that is of course that over a certain amount of data it slows to the point of being useless. It was never said that some services would be crippled 24/7 from day one of the billing cycle without a single bite against the notional allowance.

And the scaling of account types was really presented as low medium and high usage, with examples of what typically that was. No mention of not suitable for this or that service… BB+ in fact had games in its suitable for list… that was removed later as the goal posts were shifted.

Hell… I am trying to download about one CD’s worth of data and its been at it for 4 days… Its not like I am trying to download several DVD’s a day!

Double Bah!

I see the Plusnut staffers dont take up the request to respond here... that says quite a lot doesnt it?

Triple Bah!
N/A

BB+ in fact had games in its suitable for list… that was removed later as the goal posts were shifted.

Really? is BB+ now advertised as not suitable for games? That would explain a lot!!

As for P2P on BB+....when i signed up a year ago all that was mentioned was that BB+ was not suitable for heavy downloading, although PN staff were quoted as saying you could download up to 50gigs a month off peak. P2P was throttled at 90kbps (my god that seems fast now!)
I still haven't seen anything advising me that the terms of BB+ have changed, so i expect to be able to still do the things i did a year ago.

Has anyone actually challenged PN about the change in T+C's even though they say there hasn't been any?
Feel free to PM me if you can offer any advice about taking PN to task in the small claims court, as i am convinced im not getting the service i signed up to and am very bitter about having to pay to leave.