cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-stop problems!

Azagoth
Grafter

Non-stop problems!

Ever since my line was maxed I've had nothing but problems. Today is by far the worst, I'm suffering constant disconnections all the time which is making using the internet for anything pretty hit and miss. Before, I had a perfectly stable 2.2MB connection without a single problem. Now, well if it wasn't so screwed up it'd be funny.

I won't even mention the 3-5 minutes it takes to reconnect again.

I play Guild Wars, and thanks to this problem I can't even guarantee my team mates that I'll be able to last the full battle without disconnecting and causing us to lose and therefore lose places in the World rankings.

Always on broadband? What a joke!
11 REPLIES
ady
Grafter

Non-stop problems!

well what are you currently synching at, and what is your SNR and line attenuation

SNR seems to drop during peak times causing you to have an unrealible connection
N/A

Strait Answers To Straight Questions

It would be nice to have some straight answers to some straight questions:

1) On MaxDSL, why does the SNR drop during peak times (6pm-11pm), causing the connection to drop? Some days it doesn't happen, on other days, this might happen several times in an evening.

2) When this happens, the router resyncs quickly, but it takes anywhere between three minutes and fifteen minutes to actually get back on-line i.e. pick up an IP address, DNS servers etc. from PlusNet.

3) Are the above general problems, or are they specific to PlusNet?
Azagoth
Grafter

Non-stop problems!

I don't lose synch, the connection just dies or just quits altogether. Then it takes about 5 minutes to re-connect, although the BT Speed test connects instantly.

I'm not paying money for an unreliable connection, I'm paying money for an 'always on' broadband connection. The reliability is down to Plusnet to supply. Something they seem unable to do these day's.

I synch at 7168 down and 448 up

Attenuation 28/18
SNR 13/6.5

Plus, no matter what, I keep on receiving about 300 portscans a minute whenever I connect. It's getting to the point where my firewall is never inactive.
N/A

Non-stop problems!

Your first post on this thread is exactly the same as me. I get sick of clicking redial.
N/A

Non-stop problems!

My speed has been going down and down but the last few weeks i cant play any games online even loading websites can be slow and painful.
This a ping to PN site speaks for it self
PING 208.67.219.40 (208.67.219.40): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 208.67.219.40: icmp_seq=0 ttl=52 time=255.0 ms
64 bytes from 208.67.219.40: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=175.0 ms
64 bytes from 208.67.219.40: icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=175.0 ms
64 bytes from 208.67.219.40: icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=175.0 ms

--- 208.67.219.40 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 175.0/195.0/255.0 ms

Ive changed the dns but it seems to be just as bad and have had no conection about 10 times today and having to reboot router everytime.

How about plusnet giving us some cash back as the service has been bad for along time now and just getting a joke now. :twisted: Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
N/A

Non-stop problems!

Exactly the same problem as the OP

2-3 weeks ago I had a perfectly stable 2MBIT connection, but once I found out my exchange now supports 5.8MBPS, I naturally opted in for the paid upgrade.

For a week I put up with the disconnections because the line is supposed to be unstable for the first 10 days. But, as the time went on, the problems got worse.

I've been trying to sort it out via tickets and so far all that's been done is interleaving has been turned on. But the disconnections are still, if not more frequent. And my pings are 120+
Actually, playing any online games has now become a no-no., because, by the time i've connected to the server, my line drops. So If I do want to play I have to wait until the early hours, which is just pathetic.

Stable hours: 1.30 am - 6pm
Unstable hours: 6pm - 1.30am

As I'm writing this reply, i've been disconnected three times.

I'm coming to the end of my tether now, there's nothing more frustrating than coming in for a quiet night, talking to friends online and the connection dropping every 5 minutes

I thought it might be down to me having a Speedtouch 330 ADSL Modem, but seeing as people with routers are having the same problems, it must be a problem on Plusnets end?

Evil

My plus.net ping:

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=249

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 30ms
N/A

Non-stop problems!

your problem undoubtably lies with your ISP - the real issue is that they really couldn't care less as long as you keep paying them cash each month. Even if you leave they won't actually care.

I just feel sorry for the support staff - it must be horrible trying to support a company that just doesn't give a crap about its customers. I'v worked on a helpdesk and it's horrible having to lie all day long that the comapny is "doing it's best" to resolve issues, when you know full well they are sat around trying to work out how they can make some money on a takeover bid.
webcord

me too

think you are right, I been with PN for 7 years and recommended them to loads of people, now I am embarrassed to have done so.
They used to be ok but think they have maybe got too big and since cutting the "customer support" they are impossible, they don't respond and do nothing to make you feel they give a damn.
I have been trying to move bb to new house but NOTHING has been done in over a month, nothing, zilch F.A
aNYONE RECOMMEND A NEW ISP? Preferably one who you can contact when there is a problem?
I suspect that moving will be a problem and pn will probably not transfer out for me, wish I had never joined, anyone else feeling like me?
N/A

Non-stop problems!

In a word yes...

I have been feeling like you for a while now, the biggest thing that annoys me is that I seem no longer able to contact PN by phone, wos the point sitting here typing out messages and waiting 3 days for an answer when Eddison Bell invented the telephone for our convenience and ease of use.

I just noticed on one of PN's announcements about all their recent improvements that they have cut telephone answering time down from 19 mins to 11 mins, funny that, I can't even find a number that I can get around having to press 2 for this and 4 for for that etc. etc. etc. only to arrive back where I started 19 minutes later.

I have just sent a ticket regarding refcom that they don't seem to want to give me for the last month or three, we will see what happens.

Regards,

Chris Donne
N/A

Non-stop problems!

Deleted due to (As they say in the BBC handbook) a technical cock up...
N/A

Non-stop problems!

Hmm again... Here is the dictionary definition of the [Censored] word:-

Oddly, in British English it is not these days a vulgarism, or at least only a very mild one. It co...