cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non PN FTP upload 6.5k What gives?

Community Veteran

When I was on a 2k line I used to get about 30k upload on non PN FTP, when my line changed to 8k it went up to 40k for a while.....

For the last three months its been 12 or less, tonight its sat at 6.5k.. Totally soul destroying.

Why oh why am I being throttled to this speed... even as a lowly bb+ user I should get more than this when I haven’t even scraped half way to my notional monthly limits.

I know folks will jump in on this, but I really would like a response from Plusnet here?

Thanks

Peter
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,

What kind of http speeds are you getting?
Have you tried rebooting your connection?
Where are you trying to upload to?
Community Veteran

It is now averaging 9k a second. I am uploading to FTP space on fastnet.

I havent rebooted tonight but this has been going on for 3 months now. Also I am using the same kit and uploading to exactly the same space that I was getting 30 and 40k a second several months back.

Cheers

Peter
James
Grafter

Peter,

You've not answered any of my questions, save the rebooting issue. This would help as we might be able to test from my end.
Community Veteran

Ok I have rebooted and if anything it is worse.... averaging 4.6k a second uploading to fasthosts ftp area.

I just tried an http download from nvidia and it started at 70k and then dropped quickly to 50k and continued to fall.

Router stats as follows:

connect downstream 8128
connect upstream 448
Line attenuation 16db up 9 db down
Noise Margin 14.8 db up 22.db down
James
Grafter

Peter,

What speeds do you get from http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
Community Veteran

5913 / 375 This was tested just after midnight... I dont know if that will affect timings.

Cheers

Peter
Community Veteran

Bump... Do those figures tell you anything?

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Please do not bump posts, it is against the link:rules
James
Grafter

Yup, they tell us that it's not a problem with your connection.

FTP Speeds are something that I've commented on elsewhere - We're looking into latency issues on silver traffic, but as Elvin has mentioned, we have been seeing some drops on gold traffic which has to take priority over silver.
N/A

The more I read about the Gold/Silver/Bronze whatever things, the more I get the feeling the whole thing is totally knackered.

I'm a Broadband Premier customer.

I've used less than 1GB of bandwidth so far this month and yet I find my FTP speeds shaped/throttled/whatever you want to call it.

Why is this?

How can it be fair/reasonable to throttle/shape/whatever my FTP speeds when I've not exceeded any limits and I only want to upload 1 megabyte of photos to a non-PN server?

Meanwhile, presumably, someone else on PAYG (for instance) is able to get GOLD everything - while FTP on Premier is only SILVER?

Or better yet, someone on the same product as me might have used 10 gig and they're gaming speeds are still HIGHER than my FTP?!!?!

In short - why does throttling/shaping happen immediately?!?

For example: why can't I do a little FTPing when I'm able to get this off a speedtest:

suec45
Grafter

MIne is the same tonight so dont worry, its not just you.

4k upload.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked, its down to 3k now.
N/A

PLUSNET: Do you have any news on this issue? Or is it all our own fault?