cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin & Line Attenuation

N/A

Ive been having spped issues for about 3 weeks now, and just wondered if this info from my router was "normal", or acceptable??

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7648 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 14.6 db 23.0 db

Apparantly BTs systems have reduced my line speed... blaming poor quality, or hardware problems... Ive just repalced my microfilters, and my router should be fine Netgear 834GT...

Had great speeds (6mb+) for about 6 weeks, then all of a sudden between 0.5mb and 1.5mb now for the past 3 weeks..!!!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

they seem really healthy numbers (the attenuation indicates you're probably close to your exchange) so it seems surprising that download speed is so slow ... what makes you think BT have reduced the speed on your line? what does your stable rate say here say? Who suggested you might have a hardware problem? Have you tried a different modem or router?
N/A

Your current broadband speed is 1500 Kbps

what makes you think BT have reduced the speed on your line?

I know!! Ive been told both by PN and BT.. and told to change filters, and connect hardware to main BT socket, and disconnect everything else... which I have done with no improvement!!!

Its driving me nuts!!!

Im about 100m from the exchange, as the crow flies!!

Not tried alternative hardware yet..need to source one first!!
Community Veteran

It's always worth remembering that Argos do a no-questions-asked money back on unwanted goods within (I think) 10 days so long as they are undamaged and the packaging's fine. they sell belkin, netgear and linksys kit.
N/A

good point!!! forgot about their "loan" service!!
N/A

Re: Noise Margin & Line Attenuation

Had great speeds (6mb+) for about 6 weeks, then all of a sudden between 0.5mb and 1.5mb now for the past 3 weeks..!!!

I have had exacty the same problem, after getting 4000kbps stable rate for several weeks I am suddenly down to 500kbps.

All I get from PlusNet CS is :-

"Our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is 500kbps.
During the life of your product BT will periodically alter your download speed to what they consider your line to be capable of at the time."

So my line is now only capable 500kbps?, I cannot believe that it has has deteriorated that much in the last few days, I am now getting less that a quarter of my previous speed prior to Max, my old 2Mb connection was rock steady and I never lost sync.

I have tried all the recommended things i.e. new filters, disconnecting all other equipment etc. all to no avail, though I notice my stable rate has increased to 1000kbps this morning despite my router syncing at over 4500kbps.