cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service for 5 weeks now.

N/A

My sister moved house at the begining of September and she still doesn't have a connection, router is all setup up properly but says there is no DSL on the line.

I found out last weekend, and added some comments to the ticket which was open and waiting for an action on the 6th September, still no response.

I'm pretty tempted just to get MAC's for both accounts (mine and hers) and go elsewhere. But who knows the actual status of her line, another ISP advised me that I'd be better off waiting until ADSL is reactivated and then going or there could be problems. But how long might that take!

She tried phoning to sort this out. She tried 3 times, once waiting for 1.5 hours, but still didn't get through.

Tickets 20146116, 20412875, although I see even the comms team are busy now.
17 REPLIES
N/A

Can you post the make and model of your router and the current config you've got? Just in case anyone can spot something.
N/A

I don't remember which router it is and its at my sisters so I don't have immediate access to it.

But its the same router that worked at her old house. I checked last weekend that it hadn't lost its settings, it hadn't and they all looked fine.

As I said the DSL led is off, on my router its solid if it finds DSL on the line and flashes when its properly connected. I assume this one would be similar.

Thanks for replying.
Community Veteran

Yep if the DSL light is not lit then its not getting a signal from the BT exchange. Either the line is not set up by BT or the router is faulty.
Take your known working router down there when you can and just check that it has no light showing as well.
This will prove it to be the exchange and you could add this information to the ticket.
N/A

I guess the router being broken is a possibility, I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Reading the ticket it does look more like a stalled cancel/reprovide rather than anything else but it will rule hardware failure at her end out so could save some time.

Did I also mention that they'd charged her for her month of no service, happy about that she wasn't!
Community Veteran

She can get a refund for the time that service has been unavailable but this can only be payed once service has been restored.
Makes sense I suppose as until it's restored they wont know how much to pay back.
N/A

My service was unavailable for 3 weeks last month, can i get a refund on that?
Community Veteran

Raise a question (ticket) as they are saying that they will refund you if you have lost service for more than 7 days
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just to add - I've had a router suddenly die on me. It worked fine then one morning I noticed the sync light wouldn't come on anymore (same symptoms as what you're getting). I assumed it was PlusNet or BT at fault but didn't bother raising a ticket as I seem to remember it being the day before Christmas Eve and didn't see the point.

Wasn't until I tried the router round a friends and it still didn't work, but it did with his modem. So I realised it was the router bought a new one and everything was fine.

So there is a possibility you have the same situation.
N/A

I'm going to test her line with my router at the weekend.

It would have to be a pretty huge coincidence (and some kind of conspiracy surely!) that she moves house and the router dies.

But as hunthome says these things can happen and its best to rule it out. If a ticket is taking the best part of a week to respond too then its best not to give them any reason to put it on hold again either!
N/A

I finally have a reply to one of my tickets!

So it looks like the real ticket response time is 5 days and 4 hours.

Great reply too said that the department that I need doesn't work weekends!

It goes on to claim that it'll get looked at on Monday.
Community Veteran

Aggh Bangs head on wall. Sad
Have you managed to prove the router?
N/A

At least it was some progress, hopefully the tickets are now in the correct pool as opposed to being ignored in the general one.

I should get the router checked tomorrow, my sister lives 60 miles away so its not like nipping across town.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

These ADSL devices can be really flaky! My line synch vanished around the same time I upgraded the bandwidth on my PAYG BB service. I've 30 year's experience in the IT industry, I do not believe in coincidences, so in my mind it was clear that it was all PN's fault!

After lots of doing the tests required by PN, the problem was still not resolved. Got a line test done - still no difference. Contacted a friend (who I knew I could trust) in BT and got the line remotely checked out - no fault found.

Then I borrowed the ADSL router I'd obtained for a friend previously (same as mine) and that worked fine on my line - just as mine worked fine on his. I got mine replaced under warranty - the new box (same model / specification) works fine and runs faster than the old one did.

Conclusion - this technology is marginal; the box / line combination tolerances are low. What works on one line will not always work on another.

If PN say the line is OK, then there's a fair chance that it is and logical assumptions about the state of kit that worked elsewhere or before fly out of the window. In truth though, I only reached this conclusion after the problem had been looked at by one of the CS staff I trust (DT). The lesson to be learnt is that other CS staff can be trusted too and the kit does not perform as consistently as one might expect!

Hope you get a resolution soon.
N/A

Took my router, the very one I am using now, over to my sisters and it also can't find any ADSL on the line.

I'll add the info to my tickets at least it removes any question of user hardware failure.

I also found out that the previous owner of the house has had adsl so there is no problem getting it at the property.

Lets hope PN do get back to me tomorrow and they know whats gone wrong and its something simple, most likely that the provide just didn't happen.