cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service at new address - still charged cancellation fee?

savvy
Dabbler

I've moved house within the same exchange but when PlusNet tried to re-provision my service they found that the exchange has no capacity.

Plusnet insist on taking monthly payments even though they are not providing a service. They say that they will refund the charge once the service starts - however they can give no indication of how long this might take - it could be many months away.

Paying money monthly for a non-existent service is lame. I'd rather cancel and find an alternative broadband solution.

I have had the contract for 10 months. Are Plusnet going to charge a cancellation fee even though they can't provide a service to the new address? Does anyone have experience of a similar situation? Thanks.
9 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

The information we have given you is correct, your order is delayed due to BT issues at your exchange and we will refund any downtime once your new order completes.

Should you wish to cancel you would have 2 months of your annual contract remaining and the original deferred activation fee outstanding.
N/A

On reading what you wrote Mand it doesn't really seem very helphul or very nice.
Community Veteran

But even if you did cancel and move out you would be in the same boat.
If there is no capacity at you exchange then there will still be none for whoever you tried to move to. Sad

Not a good situation at all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unless the exchange has a LLU supplier.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

It doesn't seem very nice, offer Savvy his two months at least!
Mand
Grafter

Firstly please accept my apologies my original reply does read as being rather abrubt, it was not meant that way at all Smiley

I answered the question as it was asked, normally we would ask for the 2 remaining months and the deferred activation. However upon a cancellation request being received it may be waived as a GWG.

Like another reply said if there is no capacity in your exchange you will not be able to sign up with any ISP offering BT wholesale products, that said our Provisioning team will chase this regularly with BT and try to get a resolution ASAP.
savvy
Dabbler

Thanks for your your help. It does seem that I am stuck for the moment with unknown timescales. There is no LLU or cable network here. I may try onspeed, or one of the sattellite options.

I might as well keep my contract with PN for the next two months. If there is no progress then I will be free of my 12 month contract and PN will refund money paid for the months without service.

Very frustrating since I am dependent on broadband to work from home - otherwise I have a two hour journey into the office.

I don't suppose there is anyway to encourage BT to upgrade the exchange...?
N/A

Like another reply said if there is no capacity in your exchange you will not be able to sign up with any ISP offering BT wholesale products

But if they can't have BB then they should only need to pay for cheap dial up!
Mand
Grafter

Our provisioning team will chase BT regularly on this issue to get the capacity upgraded ASAP. To be honest this situation does not usually last that long.