cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No secure email connection?

N/A

Am I right in thinking that there is no support for SSL or TLS when connecting to the PlusNet imap, pop and smtp servers?

If so this means that checking email involves sending your password in cleartext over whichever networks you are using - wireless, public LAN etc.. If you check your default email account then this password is also your login password.

Please let me know if I am wrong or if there is any other way to improve the security of the email system (such as ssh tunnelling).

Thanks,

Tim.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Reading the webmail incident report it would seem that no email security is available at present but that SSL (why not TLS?) will be available at some time in the future. Until then we will have to continue to send our passwords in cleartext over the networks.

In the meantime, the ability to reassign the postmaster alias to another mailbox would allow me to ignore all email to my default mailbox and thus remove the need to send my ISP login password to everyone with access to the network I'm on whenever I want to read email. Is this possible (I've tried and it doesn't appear to be)?

Any help or comments from the community or PlusNet staff would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim.
N/A

my postmaster account is redirected to a external email address and works fine
Liam
Grafter

Yep.. This is something we are looking into.

You should be able to setup your postmaster mailbox as an alias to another mailbox, or a redirect elsewhere.
Laugh
Grafter

Absolutely priceless!

Imagine the PN Management Meeting.....

Manager 1: DOH! We've had our mail system hacked!

Manager 2: What will we do?
*** Runs round table screaming ****

Manager 3: I know! We'll ditch the secure Login!

Manager 2: ** stops running ** Perfect! That'll confuse the hackers!

Manager 1: Absolutely! There won't be any security to hack!

Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We haven't offered SSL or TLS before, so it's not a case of having 'ditched' it.

This is one of the things we have said we will be implementing ASAP, as detailed in the Incident Report earlier this week.

We will have more information on those plans next week.
Laugh
Grafter

Sorry Mand, my mistake Shockedops:

I misread it but I still have that mental picture of the managers and I'll enjoy it for a while longer if I may Wink
N/A

Yep.. This is something we are looking into.

You should be able to setup your postmaster mailbox as an alias to another mailbox, or a redirect elsewhere.

I'm probably being thick but I can't find a way of setting up the postmaster alias to another mailbox - I can't select or choose the properties of either the alias or the default mailbox (I'm an old-style default) and trying to create another alias called postmaster doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas what I should do?

Tim.
N/A

You can set up a redirect from 'postmaster@username.plus.com' to an alternate email address. That seems to override the default postmaster alias which points to 'username@username.plus.com'.

Logically, one would expect to be able to change the postmaster alias, but that doesn't seem possible (not yet anyway).
N/A

Thanks webwise.

I hope that this only redirects the postmaster stuff rather than all the username@username.plus.com emails (since postmaster is an alias for that address) or else the bucketloads of spam I never used to get will get redirected too!

I'll try it and see.

Tim.
N/A

Things are never straightforward!

'The redirect can't be the same as a mailbox you currently have on your account'

So, while I can redirect to one of my external email addresses (none of which is suitable for receiving PlusNet postmaster emails) there is no way to reroute PlusNet postmaster email to another PlusNet email address in your account. The sooner the new improvements to the email system arrive the better.

Tim.
N/A

Thanks webwise.
You're welcome Smiley

I hope that this only redirects the postmaster stuff rather than all the username@username.plus.com emails (since postmaster is an alias for that address) or else the bucketloads of spam I never used to get will get redirected too!
Yes, as long as you redirect 'postmaster' to an alternative email address you will only receive emails addressed to postmaster@username.plus.com, such as emails from PlusNet.

'The redirect can't be the same as a mailbox you currently have on your account'
I saw that too, but it seems PlusNet make an exception for 'postmaster'! Shocked I have successfully redirected postmaster to one of my mailboxes without any complaints/problems Wink
N/A

Thanks again webwise :-)

Following your suggestion, I have setup a redirect for postmaster to another of my PlusNet accounts.

Perhaps the wording of the add redirect instructions should to modified to show that this is possible? Presumably, the stated restriction is there to stop cyclic redirects but it must be simple to restrict accounts to be either a redirect source or destination but not both.

At least I don't need to check my default email address now and don't need to expose my login password.

Tim.
N/A

Thanks again webwise :-)
No problem! Smiley

Following your suggestion, I have setup a redirect for postmaster to another of my PlusNet accounts.
Excellent Cheesy

Perhaps the wording of the add redirect instructions should to modified to show that this is possible?
Yes, I agree - PlusNet should really update the redirect instructions.