cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No problems with plusnet-is it just me?

N/A

Lately the discussion forums on here and on adslguide.org seem to be stuffed full of bitter recriminations about plusnet.I actually feel sorry for the likes of Ben Brown(bet he wished he'd taken up that other job offer)
Meanwhile I find my internet connection works fine,good speeds,the odd ticket i raise is sorted quickly,politely and competently....and i am 100% happy.
Ok i dont use some features-I dont even know what easynet is-but for a simple soul like me who wants to check email,surf web daily,play online occasionally and download the odd large file;it works for me.
To those who complain so bitterly-if you dont like it just leave.So aerated do some become that I think-Jeez its only an internet connection,maybe you should get out more??
Do some peoples lives depend on Plusnet?It seems so,the way some people complain.
I suspect that i am among the vast majority,for whom Plusnet works fine.Lets hope i havent just jinxed myself :?
23 REPLIES
N/A

Looks like you'll be okay with PlusNet (touch wood). Smiley

People are moving from Plusnet, and many are leaving on moral grounds, as PlusNet has lost trust (click the link at bottom of my sig for an example), rather than the quality of internet connection.
egrog52
Grafter

99% of people are prabably perfectly happy with Plusnet but as you are seeing on here and Adslguide 1% sure can make a lot of noise and nothing Plusnet does will satisfy them.
N/A

Hi,

Like you, I dont have a problem with my connection. It works and works well and at an attractive price.

My difficulty is the direction in which Plus Net are heading. They have gone from a very customer focused ISP to a share holder focused isp, where profits come way before the interests of customers.

Customer relations are at an all time low due to poor communication and strange decisions taken by management or directors.

The standard of support provision has fallen and the CSC has been put under a massive amount of pressure due to poorly planned and thought out business decisions.

Some of the steps Plus Net have introduced of late are necessary. The manner in which these steps were introduced was poor.

Communication with customers is dreadful and this is reflected in the poor internal communications where different members of staff provide customers with opposing information.

In April 2004 PN formed the Plus Net User Group. The group was conceived with the aim of being an officially recognised group of individuals working with each other and with PlusNet to ensure that the products, services, support and facilities are the best we could ask for.

Recent events have proved that Senior members of staff are prepared to ignore and dismiss reasonable suggestions from this group thus fuelling speculation that they dont give a hoot about customer relations .

The Comms Team have an extremely difficult role in all this. They have a job to do and must display loyalty to the people that pay their wages. The level of direct personal abuse aimed at that team of late is unwarranted and unnecessary but is a reflection of the current level of unrest amongst customers, brought about in an entirely avoidable manner.

Those Comms team members have my respect. It would have been easy to stay under hard cover but they continually choose to put themselves in the direct line of fire and face the music.

In summary, yes my connection works but the attitude and direction of certain members of Plus Net is what is causing the bad feeling. Until that is addressed and somthing done to improve customer relations, the level of complaint and dissatisfaction will not improve.

Plus Net have been the authors of their own misery. They and they alone are the only ones who can restore harmony.

The ball is entirely in their court.
octafish
Grafter

Nope, you're not alone by any means. My experience of PN is just like yours, fast, reliable connection and polite, helpful customer support - on the rare occasions i've needed it. Moreover, I personally know about a dozen PN account holders and they are also more than happy.

It's funny but I've seen the hoohah going on against PN with other ISPs in the past and the fuss has always been generated by individuals who want to download what must quickly add up to terabytes of data. I can understand streamed TV and the like absorbing bandwidth but much of this has to be file downloads. I can only wonder at certain people's deep pockets when it comes to buying HDD space...

I know that some people will have genuine issues about the way they feel the've been handled and I can't gainsay that but support staff have the right to be treated politely. If I felt that I was ignored and that staff were obstructive I would go elsewhere but I haven't been and they haven't.

PN's position on sustainable usage is, I believe, now quite clear. If it didn't suit my needs I would again go elsewhere but so far I remain happy, so I echo your sentiments above.

Any ISP would have to act to preserve its business viability. Zen advertises no limits for the 2MB service but their AUP states that on uncapped accounts their staff will step in if there's excessive use..... I would want them to do that if I was with them and my bandwidth was adversely affected. PN have now spelt this out in their SUP because they have had to, maybe Zen should do the same?
N/A

Thank you for those thoughts..I just want to understand better,what it is that plusnet are doing exactly which is so upsetting people,when I dont see the impact of these things myself.Maybe i should beat myself up for not using my internet connection to the full!
Still cannot understand tho,how some people download such vast amounts monthly-and where they store it all
N/A

Still cannot understand tho,how some people download such vast amounts monthly-and where they store it all

Try Google Earth soon uses up you’re Bandwidth.
ceridwen
Grafter

There are those who think they should be allowed to download 24/7 - however from the various postings those are in the minority.

There are however a disturbing number of complaints from people who have tried to keep within sustainable limits. They have asked PN either on these forums or via CSC over the last few months whether there use is sustainable or not, and despite having have kept within the limits suggested by PN at that time, only to find that they have still been throttled because PN have changed the limits and applied them retrospectively (if the published SUP has always been the internal guidelines as claimed then CSC etc. have been misinforming users).

There are also concerns about dubious business practice:

selling of up to 4 and 8 Mb connections when these aren't available (nor even a date know when they will).

Not e-mailing about the SUP (on the basis customers aren't intelligent to understand what a GB is - despite the PAYG accounts using this for charging!!!)

telling customers on 12 months contracts that they must buy out the remaining months of their contract if they rejected the new T&Cs - when this was brought to light on the public forums, they admitted this was incorrect and would inform all staff - however *senior* members of PN were still telling customers this two weeks later. The same claim was made for those trying to leave under the 45 day "satisfaction guaranteed".

The latest seems to be that if your billing period falls within the 30 day notice period they will charge you for a full month and not refund, so effectively charging you for up to 30 days service *after* the end of your contract.

etc.

These taken alone are all fairly minor, but taken together suggest that PN (as a company - I'm not aiming this at individuals) no longer has any respect for its customers and the constant swapping and changing (bad boy pipes, FUP, traffic management, SUP etc.) that it doesn't have a coherent long term plan for its network management, have undermined many peoples faith in the company.

Like you I'm not a heavy downloader and the actual service I'm getting seems fine (I might get a few extra Kbps on say ZEN but on the service basis I'm happy). However, when choosing between suppliers, it was the customer focus which won me (like many others) over to PN, and also made me recommend them to others. However, I doubt I would have chosen PN were I looking for an ISP now, and I certainly wo'n't recommend them to others at the moment.

Matthew
owlguard
Grafter

happy with +net

Im just an happy +net customer.I noticed the other day that there was a download capacity, the equivalent of 36,000 mp3s a month before you get an email from +net saying your a bit over the top usage wise.You would have to be tied to your computer and crackers to spend as much time as was neccesary to download that lot.I joined plus net because im a swfc supporter and read also that plus net were a decent company and up to now im finding them great,I only do about 2 gbts per month and if they gave me any hassle i would leave if necc but anyone who needs that much downloading,needs to log on to the pentagon for there isp,thats the only place big enough for them.
up the owls.ray Tongue
N/A

Im just an happy +net customer.I noticed the other day that there was a download capacity, the equivalent of 36,000 mp3s a month before you get an email from +net saying your a bit over the top usage wise.You would have to be tied to your computer and crackers to spend as much time as was neccesary to download

I dont think plusnet are telling you are a bit over the top, that is one part of the problem they just cut your dl speeds to that of dial up and tell you afterwards
+ net only revealed off peak/on peak times a short while ago, so how are people supposed to know everyone thought there were no limits
As for 36,000 mp3's use your loaf that is what is possible, but worded differently how many live football games or concerts plus the odd downloaded movie in peak time does that add up to?.
Dont know about anyone elses view but what i do or anyone else does or how they use their PC is up to them but plusnet sold me an unlimited service (dont bother to answer this point old ground) when in full knowledge could not provide for my needs
Now had i known all these restrictions never would have signed obvious innit
Ben_Brown
Grafter

that is one part of the problem they just cut your dl speeds to that of dial up

This is not correct, 67 kbps is faster than dial up, and only p2p, usenet and SSH are slowed down.

We've not advertised the products as unlimited for a very long time and even so they have never been described as unlimited in the T&C's.
N/A

56kbs 67kbs hardly any difference compared to 2mb
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It is faster than dial up though, and not on all services. Web and email traffic is unaffected.
N/A

In july of this year CS informed me that their were no limits with bb premier, but with bb+ there were limits on p2p but with very little difference off peak
even ticketed you if you want to dig it out describing my average monthly usage
60gb to 100gb you said 60gb would be fine
N/A

99% of people are prabably perfectly happy with Plusnet but as you are seeing on here and Adslguide 1% sure can make a lot of noise and nothing Plusnet does will satisfy them.

Sorry GC I have to disagree with that statement. I am one of those 1% and I do think that PlusNet do a lot of things right. This is why we hate being forced away.

We live in a world of monopolies, these lead to a lack of customer choice. For example how many people would like to have an affordable Sky TV package, one where they could choose the channels they need and pay an reasonable fee. Instead we are blackmailed into buying the most expensive package otherwise we have to pay £10 just to have a Sky Plus box. In a truly competitive environment, SkyPlus boxes would be made by all the major electronics companies and there would be no link to the package you subscribe to.

I believe that many of these corporates no longer view us as customers but simply as consumers. They manipulate their market, pricing and customers to reduce any real choice and eliminate competition.

Now what has this got to do with PlusNet I hear you say?

Well a former PlusNet employee took several hours to explain the situation to me. He said that BT had completely changed the business model for ISP's, forcing them into a complete change how they delivered ADSL. He said that PlusNet had little choice and there was no one who they could complain to at least no one who would listen.

Where Plusnet IS guilty is in it's delivery of change, it completely fails to communicate this with it's customers. When it does things like covert traffic shaping without informing customers of course those affected most are going to shout.

I am not one of those affected most, i.e. up to now I have only needed 1 to 2 gb of traffic per month and this is conventional traffic not file sharing. So why am I in that “1%” you refer to?

Well simply because I am very old fashioned about customer service, especially when a company displays a level of arrogance to its customers that is verging on the contemptuous.

Last time I made a noise I ended up being banned from these forums and long after the “month” was over Plusnet declined to reinstate this service. I don’t know, but I think it may have been the threat of legal action for breach of contract that finally got me back in.

Anyway my response at that time was to cut back my service to the £14.99 service and thus cost them £120 a year. Strangely my reported traffic has increased from 0.6gb to up to 2gb per month, but perhaps I am being cynical?

Another reason that the “1%” complain so vigorously is that they can see where this is leading. As more and more of the user community realise or feel this impact they themselves become part of the “1%” thus replacing those that have gone.

Ironically PlusNet has better facilities to consult its customers than most companies, yet it has failed to communicate or utilised these customers to fight against the unfair conditions imposed upon it.

Ultimately until PlusNet operates a policy of total transparency, honesty, consultation and true choice then the 1% will continue to exist and probably grow. Meanwhile for the 99% can take comfort in the fact the "Ignorance is bliss".