cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No logfiles - yet again!!!!

N/A

I'm now without logiles for 4 days - 8th June onwards. This is an ongoing saga with intermittent non-appearance of logfiles and patch-up measures being taken each time to restore the missing data - but clearly there is an underlying problem with the logfiles generating system which has not yet been resolved. This issue must have been running for more than a year by now.

Another ongoing issue is the failure of the relevant staff members to post anything about these logfile issues on the Service Status page - at least until late in their dealing with a particular logfiles non-appearance event. I raised a Contact Us ticket on Friday and was promptly told that engineers were already aware of the issue and looking into it. On Sunday, as there was still no mention of the issue in Service Status, I added to my ticket a note that I was then missing three days' logfiles. Again I was promptly informed that engineers were looking into the issue. Yet I see this morning that there is STILL no mention in Service Status that there is any current webspace-related issue.

Please, F9 techies, not only get this issue fully resolved (i.e. including the underlying problem) BUT ALSO post promptly (and keep it updated) in Service Status to let us know what's going on. Otherwise you will keep getting frustrated users like myself raising tickets and nagging and complaining.
17 REPLIES
N/A

This is the 3rd time or thereby since the GREAT DISK CRASH a year ago which wiped out logfile histories and cgi webspace for many users. This is the standard F9 death of a thousand cuts. Eventually, I expect, log files won't be available at all. I'm sure that somewhere in F9 there's a long list of everything except basic internet access which will be steadily axed until nothing is left. So far it's been unlimited bandwidth and webspace, usenet and technical assistance. I expect that the whole of the cgi network is at risk of being next.
Tony_W
Grafter

My webstats have been missing recently - last generated on 9th.

I was told yesterday that 'maintenance has been performed on my account" and that it "will take effect when the script runs tonight" - that was last night.

I am still waiting....
Tony_W
Grafter

There has just been an addition to the Service Status saying that there is a problem with webstats generation for some customers.

Is there any reason why this could not have been done earlier (3 days ago)? It would have saved others the hassle of raising tickets.
N/A

Hi,

Yet another classic example of F9 failure to communicate with their customers Or perhaps arrogance in that they just cannot be bothered to tell users about it.

Ivan
N/A

Yes you are right cyteck. F9's only communication these days is propaganda (I can do without the useless newsletters and they could profitably use the bandwidth for real communication).

More to the point though is that this is the 3rd time inside a year that engineering goofs have disrupted the logfile service. You'd think that they'd learn but apparently not.
JonathanW
Grafter

When it comes to the service status posts, we need to make sure that it isn't something that's only affecting one or two customers, as otherwise we'd end up posting a service status about every minor issue and causing confusion.

The initial status post was made once we were aware that it was affecting a significant portion of the userbase, though due to the fact that this was over a weekend it took a little longer than normal to collate information.
N/A

With all due respect, that's excuses, excuses, excuses. When I raised a ticket last Friday, I got a very prompt response to the effect that they were already aware of the issue and engineers were looking into it. So, the techies were already aware that there was a reasonably general issue relating to logfiles, and THEN was already the time for a post in Service Status.

Incidentally, my logfiles STILL haven't started appearing.
N/A

The reply to my 'contact us' question said to look at the Service Status as it was a known problem.

The Service Status is still all green (apart from an out of date message about the support phone system) now a week after the logfiles stopped appearing.

I really am getting totally sick of this third rate service.
N/A

Yes!!! A reply from CSC -
<<<
Dear Mr ****,
As you will appreciate, we have had some service outages over the past few days and the network team have been working to ensure that normal service is restored, after which the web statistics problem will be looked into.
>>>
The Service Status is of course still bright shiny green with no mention of any problems so just what are the outages which are taking up everyone's time for a whole week now and when might the logfiles reappear I wonder?
N/A

I wonder - could it be that there has been a reduction of relevant staffing? This whole situation smacks of a lack of staff resources and an unwillingness to admit the fact and so covering up with excuses.

Anyway, it's quite inexcusable that Service Status is now showing green for FTP/webspace issues despite the still unresolved logfiles issue.
N/A

It's amazing! Having admitted that something like a week's logfile data has been irrevocably lost, and having given the impression that the system was functioning okay, they still haven't fixed the problem and my logfiles still haven't started appearing. It's still the case that the last logfile data I have is from 7th June. Clearly more staff resources are needed, or this sort of thing is going to run and run, and I'd be running to another ISP.
N/A

A real bummer. I'm absolutely p***d-off with this incompetent ISP and I'm fed-up apologising to my users. Luckily for them F9 aren't too fed-up aplogising to me since they just stumble on regardless without even an email. I'm paid up to the end of the year but I doubt if I'll be renewing - I've already identified a few likely alternatives.
N/A

I got the following reply yesterday to my renewed nagging on my no-logfiles ticket:
Jonathan Defries CSC Agent 4:07pm, Sunday 18th June 2006

Dear Mr Goddard,
The issue that caused the problem is fixed, however the networks team are still catching up with the backlog of log files to be generated, this should be done in the next 24-48 hours.

Regards,
Jonathan Defries

However, at the time of writing this post STILL no logfiles have appeared.
quelquod
Rising Star

I got the following reply yesterday to my renewed nagging on my no-logfiles ticket:
Jonathan Defries CSC Agent 4:07pm, Sunday 18th June 2006

Dear Mr Goddard,
The issue that caused the problem is fixed, however the networks team are still catching up with the backlog of log files to be generated, this should be done in the next 24-48 hours.

Regards,
Jonathan Defries

However, at the time of writing this post STILL no logfiles have appeared.

Ooops!! Shockedops: I think there's a general policy of not naming (and shaming) CSC agents who provide bum info. Hope this reply (which contradicts the Service Status) is correct.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!