cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet at home this morning

Eserim
Rising Star

I was sort of hoping I'd get into work, come here and find a service announcement with some sort of global problem, but no.

So, at home, both PCs are failing to get any web pages/e-mail/FTP - going into my router I can resolve both plus.net and bbc.co.uk to their IPs and Ping those IPs - so I can't really see what the problem could be.

Anyone else have any problems?

Chris
34 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi Chris,

BT are reporting a "trouble ticket" associated with your connection, which is currently expected to be resolved today.
Eserim
Rising Star

Oooo that sounds nasty Cheesy

I dunno, as soon as you sell out to the big boys they start letting you down! Cheesy

Many thanks

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

James

Is it still showing a fault? My connection to the outside world is there but very, very slow - Plus Net pages don't load - only the simplest text based pages get loaded. From what basic diagnostics I could do (of course I don't have software on my PC, and couldn't download any stuff - can you recommend any good diagnostic (free) software) it saeems that there is MASSIVE packet loss

By moving my laptop into the DMZ I got the Windows "Internet Gateway" appearing under Network connections - this gave me LAN packets sent and received and the same for internet. Less than 1 in 50 were getting through.

The only other possible cause is my router - between the last known working time and it breaking, there was a thunder storm over head. But the fact that something is moving confuses me. I can get DNS results back and ping those servers.

Shall I raise a call?

Cheers

Chris
James
Grafter

Hi Chris,

It's definitely looking different today. Previously it was stating not to raise a fault before the trouble ticket was closed. It's now saying to continue trying to connect (although you are currently connected) and if this fails to report to BT after the standard checks.

If you're able to try a different modem or router, please give this a shot, otherwise I'd suggest raising a ticket to support and getting the fault raised.
Eserim
Rising Star

James

Thanks

I have raised a ticket (20735264 )and have got a spare router now on my work desk (the benefits of working in an ICT section Cheesy ) which I will try tonight.

I have constantly re-started the router to no effect. Oddly enough the "Internet Gateway" properties say 8 Mbps, when I move the laptop to the DMZ.

I also tried all sorts of new rules on the firewall to ensure that it wasn't dropping stuff.

Cheers

Chris
James
Grafter

Hi Chris,

Nice one. Let me know how you get on. It does sound rather coincidental that your issues started following the trouble ticket thing.
Eserim
Rising Star

It does sound rather coincidental that your issues started following the trouble ticket thing.

Unless of course, both BT's original problem and my current problem were caused by EMP damage during the storm - although we have had worse, closer, without any problems. Having said that I do know the damage it can do - we lost large parts of our network last year when we were hit, the surge went through the LAN and blew many switch ports, PC cards and other network attached devices.

Cheers

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

No joy with the other router, but it did enable me to get line stats (me old Netgear doesn't do this)

If of interest they are;

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 2,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 150.00 / 729.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 44.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 18.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 20 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22

Now doing the automatate checks thing, but there is no way I can contiue as it needs the Firewalls switched off - which I can't do as I'm at work! And when I get home I can't connect to finish the wizard thingy!

Cheers

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

says it all really

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

So a speed of "none found" is acceptable Cheesy

James - can you do anything - the whole ticket system isn't very useful when the only way it can be accessed is via a PC, and if your connection is down, this is impossible - except at work!

Cheers

Chris
N/A

Is it still showing a fault? My connection to the outside world is there but very, very slow - Plus Net pages don't load - only the simplest text based pages get loaded.

Sounds like it's fixed then.
Eserim
Rising Star

James -any chance you could kick this one for me? It seems to be taking a day for each ticket return, all the time we have no real connection. I've got the dial up working (just, the laptop and IE really didn't like having a choice of connections), but that isn't really an answer.

As you say, it is all very odd that after a BT error report things still are not working.

I've run various trace route software and both show up to 100% packet loss when pinging bbc.co.uk.

Cheers

Chris
Eserim
Rising Star

still 100% packet loss most of the time and still no replies to my tickets.

...and I thought support was getting better Cheesy
James
Grafter

Ok - interesting.

BT appear to have changed the line card that your circuit is connected to at the exchange as an attempt to fix the fault that you have been experiencing. Have you noticed any improvement so far today?
Eserim
Rising Star

James - thanks for getting back so quickly - Cheesy it's really good to know someone listens at Plus Net.

I tested the line this morning before coming to work - replacement router off all night so a clean connection, but still nothing. No real way of checking till later as my wife is out most of the day.

I'll let you know as soon as I can. Is it worth trying the automated checks again?

Cheers

Chris