cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Way Am I Using This Much Bandwidth

N/A

I was reading the stats for my daily bandwidth usage. This is a connection I have in my student house that is only used during the week mostly, according to the usage monitor I downloaded nearly 10gb last weekend which is impossible as no one was using the connection. whats going on?
38 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

Do you have a wireless network, secured or otherwise?

Did you leave any computers on at the weekend, that may be generating automated traffic whilst you are away?

These are the two most common causes, and can quite easily generate these sorts of data volumes.

Kind Regards,
Alecto
Grafter

Re: No Way Am I Using This Much Bandwidth

. This is a connection I have in my student house

Unless you're not the only one with the problem, it's more likely that somebody was using it without your knowledge than that Plusnet's recording is wrong.

If you're convinced nobody could possibly have been using it (the machine was under lock and key and it and the router were definitely turned off and seen to be turned off while you were away) and you've not got an unsecured wireless connection, raise a ticket and see what Plusnet say about it.
N/A

I have my wireless secured at 128bit encryption. Yes there were computers left on but were not running any sort of download programs. I cant see how its possible to download 10gb without purposely downloading this much data. It has now meant that I have been capped to a ridiculously low speed for the rest of the month. I signed up to plusnet because they offered an uncapped service which i thought benificial to a house full of students who are all studying computing degrees, only to find your new capping policy is as bad as BTs.

How can i trust a usage management system i dont believe to be accuarate and is this policy going to be enforced as is long term?

If so can you tell me are there any penalties for migrating to another isp who hasnt enforced such stringent policies?
N/A

I cant see how its possible to download 10gb without purposely downloading this much data

Nope, me neither but how can you be sure "in a house full of students who are all studying computing degrees" and where connections are left on? Why don't you address this part first....

If so can you tell me are there any penalties for migrating to another isp who hasnt enforced such stringent policies

...then that would be the other option

Sorry, but from a purely spectator point of view, the 'innocent victim' undertone to your email looks very 'iffy' in context of connections shared with a house full of students on a wireless network and as we see traffic management kicking in for you.
N/A

The reason I know that nobody was using the connection over this period was because we finished our exams the week before and everyone was at home on holidays, my computer was the only one left in the house over this period. Im not stupid if i thought someone else had been using the connection i wouldnt have raised the question about how reliable is this management software is?!
N/A

I have my wireless secured at 128bit encryption. Yes there were computers left on but were not running any sort of download programs. I cant see how its possible to download 10gb without purposely downloading this much data. It has now meant that I have been capped to a ridiculously low speed for the rest of the month. I signed up to plusnet because they offered an uncapped service which i thought benificial to a house full of students who are all studying computing degrees, only to find your new capping policy is as bad as BTs.

How can i trust a usage management system i dont believe to be accuarate and is this policy going to be enforced as is long term?

If so can you tell me are there any penalties for migrating to another isp who hasnt enforced such stringent policies?

You're CS students and you don't know how easy 128bit WEP is to break? You only need to capture and analyze about 600MB of data to break it with tools available off of the net.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The raw data that comes into VMBU is part of the RADIUS data we get from BT Wholesale and has proven to be very reliable. A few MB difference may be possible, but I don't think it would be wrong by 10GB. My other reason for thinking this is that you say that you've now been managed because of this. This means that the Ellacoyas have measured some or all of that 10GB as P2P/FTP/Usenet, if the raw data was wrong, then the Ellacoya measurement wouldn't have registered the traffic so I can only assume that it's correct and that someone may have accessed your wireless network without your knowledge.
N/A

What is this trying to prove my connection is being hacked?! Its not!

I dont see the need to go into the security settings that are enabled, yes someone could eventually hack the wireless key but then they would have to hack the router and add their machines to the trusted MAC addresses which of course i would know about along with the DHCP client list logs showing me a list of computers that use or have used my network.

My complaint still stands that i dont believe the bandwith usage on my account is accurate at times and because of this I keep getting capped annoyingly
N/A

connorbunting.

As an outsider looking in and having read your posts I am starting to think there is a little more to the story than what is being told.
I have never known any connection to build up 10GB in one weekend with nothing running or no-one using the connection. Yes a couple to 10MB I would overlook and cast aside as a daily figure that your router uses to keep the connection alive.

As you have said, you are studying a computing course and doing a degree. Then you yourself must know how easy it is for someone to hack and leech your connection if using wireless. The other point is you keep saying that you have no need to check, well why not? Unless you check and make sure you dont know ( and btw any half serious script kiddie would delete all traces of having existed on your network let alone hacker ).

There is no-one else, and never has been ( to my knowledge ) that has this sort of problem. This has got to be, hands on heart, the first ever reported incident that I have seen.
So what are the chances that this is a muck up by the equipment in place ?
I would say very slim indeed.

Regards,
N/A

Not that i'm saynig this is the case i just thought i'd mention this.

ever heard of Mac spoofing m8.

Atm i have to spoof my mac and its 1 keypress to do it - i have to do this as teh stupid uni wireless network blocked me and teh IT staff dont know how or why or how to fix it. I wasnt even doing anything wehn the stupid thing blocked me. meh. thats an aside.

Personally i could login to your wireless network even with mac filtering in under 10mins without any issues. I think quite alot of people could tbh. Guides on doing it are freely availbile and so are tools.

back on topic.

It is quite unlikely that the usage meter would be wrong. You dont have spyware atall do you? use skyby broadband or any other similar services which use ur connection behind ur back and tend to forget to tell you.

Best way to check would be to peridoically look at the router when the system is idle and see if theres any traffic flow.

Having 2 seperate meters being wrong is highly unlikely. well to 10gb wrongness it is. Sorry but it does appear to be your end. DO remember uploads are also couted. not just downlaods.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm not in to P2P, but as I understand it, even if you are not downloading it will still upload to other users. The usage measured by PN is up and down. If you left the PC on you would have to make sure that the P2P was not still running in the background.

Would this account for it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
passer
Grafter

Yes there were computers left on but were not running any sort of download programs.

my computer was the only one left in the house over this period.

Hmmm.. computers or computer ?

That aside, do you live in a detached house? Otherwise, it might well be them next door..there's a lot of that going on. Probably best to turn the router off when you're not using it. As said above, it's not difficult to borrow someone else's bandwidth, unless they really button it down, and it really does sound as though that might be your best avenue of enquiry.
passer
Grafter

......though having just read elvin's post, I agree that that's a possibility also.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Another thought - have you specified the permitted MAC addresses in the wireless router or have you left that open and relied upon the encryption?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)