cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sync

N/A

No Sync

Hi.

I am on a fixed 1Meg connection, via IPStream. I have suddenly started to have issues with sync. Modem refuses to sync upstairs with an extension cable, but syncs via the master socket. Stats at master socket are:-

Down attn 60dB
Down margin 4dB
Up Attn 31dB
Up Margin 12dB

These stas are quite poor I know, I haver tried new extension lines and filters, to no avail. I suspect the loss upstars is too great for reliable sync, but what are my options. Its always been OK until a few days ago. Would BT helpHuh
4 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

No Sync

Extension cables are often the cause of poor sync or intermittent problems. Truth is they are not designed for broadband and, whilst they may work for some time, they will invariably fail.

BT won't do anything as they only guarantee your line upto the point it enters your premises. If the service is working in the master socket then they won't help with extensions etc.

Your best bet is to get a wireless router if you want to use the internet upstairs. This way you can plug the router directly into the master socket and connect wirelessly.
N/A

No Sync

Thanks Chris, but honestly, its been working for ages, and then suddently just stopped. The answer cant just be to get a wireless router!!! There is obviously some issue with the noise on the line.
chrisc
Grafter

No Sync

As I said, extension cables can work for an unlimited amount of time but ultimatley they are not designed for broadband. Some will simply stop working, some will slow speeds down, and others will cause intermittent drops.

As the connection works in the master socket the extension cable is clearly to blame.

The only other alternative would be to get another extension - I don't recommend this however because it will only be so long until it starts to experience problems.
N/A

No Sync

so..... If I move to BBYW option 2, I will pay the same price as I do now, and get a free router. Not keen on wireless, would prefer to run Cat5E cable upstairs. Is BBYW option 2 equivalent to PAYG, in terms of useing for internet, email, and communicating with my daugher in China via MSN and a webcam?