Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No MaxDSL connection in the evenings

alliejc
Grafter

Is anyone else having this trouble?

My connection is fine all day long and then between about 8:30 and 9:30 it will drop and I just cannot get back on, usually until the following morning. Is there anything I can try that might help me reconnect more quickly?

I phoned support and was told that some disconnects are to be expected with maxdsl but this isn't "some" disconnects - this is unable to use my connection from around 8:30pm onwards until the following morning.

I was told to check filters, try without anything else plugged in, use the master socket etc but none of this has solved anything.

I'm using a Netgear router DG834PN and I've had maxdsl for about 8 days now. My router says I'm connected at 8128kbps. The stable rate checker says 7000kbps but speed tests say 4431kbps for download and 372 for upload.

Any advice would be welcome.

Allie
7 REPLIES
N/A

My connection is up and down like a yo-yo around this time - it does normally reconnect though, just not for long Sad

Si
N/A

get you line stats

What i imagine is happening at your are training @ 8128 your daytime snr may well be within limits 6+ etc..

but at night your snr is dropping due to outside interferance, this is causing the modem to loose sync until the snr comes back up..

Mine in the daytime is around 10-8db snr at night that can drop to 6-8db snr

monitor you line stats during the day time and going into the evening...
N/A

Re: get you line stats

but at night your snr is dropping due to outside interferance,

Can I ask what these outside interferences might be? I can understand data rates slowing during peak periods, but not why SNR would drop every evening so as to lose sync.

I'm suffering the same issues as the OP - fine during the day, dropping like crazy through the evenings. Can't get line stats as my ST330 modem software refuses to report them since I was Maxed 9 days ago. Syncing pretty consistently at 7.6M, download speed is 2.5M (went up from 2M about two days after regrade and has stayed there). Edit: Just discovered my Stable Rate is 7000.

Thanks
N/A

hmm.

Things like any electrial appliance.

i used to have a microwave that could shut of my adsl when it was running... it was leaking widespectrum radio interferenace.. that soon got swapped under warrenty..

Anything making noise in this range 25.875 kHz - 1.104 MHz could affect ADSL service .

cookers fridges TV etc... also due to wires cooling in the evening dampness could cause problems...
N/A

I also get interference from an AV sender box I use to watch Sky in the bedroom (too tight fisted to pay the multiroom subscription since I can only watch one telly at a time) Could be that you have a neighbour who turns one of these on at that time (operates in the 2.4Ghz frequency)
alliejc
Grafter

Thanks for your help so far. I checked the stats and throughout the day the SNR is 8.9 to 9.1 and it stays this way till about 8pm. Then I watched it slowly and steadily drop until at 8:50pm the connection was lost with an SNR of 6.3.

The weird thing was is that it actually came straight back on which is the first time that's ever happened since we got maxdsl. It came on at 6.7 but then dropped to 5.3 but still stayed on for the next 35 minutes!

Then it dropped again and this time I couldn't reconnect until this morning.

Any further ideas or advice for things I can try?

TIA

Allie
N/A

DG834PN Dropping SNR at night

I am having the exact same problem.

I can connect at 3800 kbps during the day but at night the SNR worsens hence the Signal to Noise Margin on my DG834PN drops. If I reboot at night I connect at 2800 kbps. If I am connected at daytime speeds into the evening the router 'stalls' at about 2100hrs - it appears to stay synced but will not pass data (no IP address in modem details but connection status reports connected). Later it may disconnect then not reconnncect 'LCP failing to come up'. The only cure is to reboot - just disconnecting and reconnectiong won't work. I understand at the point where it looses a connection the DG834PN is supposed to reboot/resync at a lower speed to give a better signal to noise margin but it doesn't.

I have a ticket running with Netgear support who are suggesting things like turning the router off and on etc! - eventually I will get past level 1 support and speak to someone who understands the problem.

If you find a soloution before them please let me know.