cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dial tone after ADSL setup

N/A

Hi all,

I was connected to plus.net last thursday, but since then I have no dial tone at all on 2 different, working phones. I have unplugged all equipment and left just a phone connected and still no dial tone ( no noise at all) I've rang BT and had them do line tests twice and both times, they said there was no line problem.

The ADSL is working fine, had a few disconnects which are the least of my problems at the moment. BT want to charge me 50quid for an engineer to come out, then an extra 74 if they think it was my equipment that is the problem? I want to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what the cause could be. My landline was fine before the broadband came up.

Also, I remember I had line sync before i was able to actually surf (and I still had a dial tone as well)

Any ideas? Is Plus.net at fault here? (I hope not, because I just had the displeasure of ringing customer service for the first time)

regards, tas
27 REPLIES
N/A

What happen on incoming calls. Have you a mobile you can use to ring your home phone. If you hear an engaged tone try unplugging the modem and try again. If you still hear an engage tone unplug both phones, with filters. If you still hear an engage tone then the problem could be at the exchange.
N/A

I tried ringing my phone from my work phone and there was a perfect ring, no engaged signal, it sounded as normal.

I've raised a ticket with Plusnet, I'll see how that goes.

Tas
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're having problems with the phone line itself, and these persist with all of the ADSL equipment disconnected, then I'd suggest contacting BT Retail Faults so that they can ensure that everything is working with the voice line itself.
N/A

I tried ringing my phone from my work phone and there was a perfect ring, no engaged signal, it sounded as normal.

But do you know if the phone was ringing in the house. If not and the fact that you have adsl the problem could be in the exchange between the DSLAM and the loop back to the PSTN equipment. I believe the BT test equipment bridge this loop back so they will not see a problem. Did the line have a adsl connection before Thursday. If not and this was a first provide my money will be on this.
N/A

I have contacted BT faults a couple of times and they did the line test which returned OK.

Prior to Thursday, I had line sync but no end to end internet connection and yet I am pretty sure I had a dial tone. (I am not sure if this was just an authentication issue on the plus.net side or not).

So, at this stage, BT do not think its a problem their side, and still waiting on a response to a ticket raised with Plus.Net.

If, as was suggested, that its a problem in the local loop between the DSLAM and the PSTN equipment, then who is responsible for this, PN or BT? If I get a BT engineer to look at it and they find no problem and charge me 120 quid, will Plus net reimburse me for that?

thanks for everyones replies!

Tas
N/A

If the problem is in the exchange this may be a grey area on who responsible. If you have not been LLU than it's down to BTw and Openreach. If you been LLU who knows?
N/A

hmm

I had a situation like this before. turned out the pair was incorrectly terminated at the dslam.

so your line test could be fine... what happens if you ring your number. ?

You could ask BT when was the last voice call made as this will show if someone else is using your line..
N/A

As I expected they would, PN dont want to know about it! I think I'm in the grey area...

From the ticket response

We only supply the broadband service to you and as such can only deal with faults which directly affect the broadband. You will need to report this to BT on 151 as they are the supplier of your telephony services.

I guess now the fun begins!

How can I determine if I have been LLU (local loop unlocked?) Will BT be able to tell me this? Why cant BT detect a fault on my line? Who else can I call?

When Plusnet 'connects' my broadband, how is it done? Do plusnet own the DSLAMS in the exchange? Or is it BT?

As for the previous reply from astyler, If I ring my number, it rings like normal. But I will call BT back and check those details. I have ordered a new line filter (a fancy one someone else recommended on the forum). I think I am going to have to fork out for a BT engineer to fix this one Sad When you sopke with BT on the issue, were they knowledgable about the situation? Who eventually fixed the incorrect pair termination?

Cheers, tas
N/A

When you say that the phone rings is it ringing in the house. If the wires are disconnected from the dslams back to the PSTN then the originator of the call will hear the phone ringing in the earpiece but the phone will not ring in the house. If the phone is ringing in the house then the wires are probably connected.

The DSLAMS belong to BTw or the LLU provided but I'm not sure which personnel do the actual wiring, I believe it's Openreach no matter who the equipment belong to.
Laugh
Grafter

You're in for a fun time. A few months ago we had a problem with our line. Voice didn't work but broadband was fine. BT had been fiddling and they continued to fiddle. Line when up and down more times than the proverbial drawers. Shockedops:

Anyhow, eventually BT fixed the line and we had voices again. But no Broadband! Contacted BT who said that I would have to log it as a fault with my ISP! AAAAAAHHHHHH!

I did this (by telephone because I didn't have a broadband connection!) to be told that it could take up to 2 weeks because it had to go out to BT and they would have to prioritise it. Anyway, I threatened BT that if it wasn't fixed within 24 hours I would switch to another provider. BT miraculously fixed the problem within 5 mins.

Wimbledon might be over but you've got a bit of to-ing and fro-ing ahead of you yet. Good Luck Wink
N/A

ok

So you phone house phone rings, but you have no dial tone ?

even without the dial tone if you try dialing a number say your mobile does it work ?

BT Fixed the incorrect termination.
N/A

When I call the landline, the phone at home does not ring, however, it seems to be ringing from what I hear on the receiver,

I will check when i get home if I can dial out or not.
N/A

The ringing tone heard in the earpiece and the ringing of the phone in the house are generated from 2 different sources. So it is normal in a fault situation that you will hear ringing in the ear piece.

Phone BT on 151 explain to them that the line went dead at the same time as the ADSL provide and if the problem is in the exchange. Speak to a supervisor if necessary.
gabriel
Dabbler

Go to your master socket and unscrew the lower front plate and withdraw it carefully as wires can be directly attached to it.
You will now see an internal socket inside the master box, plug your phone (if possible a different handset) directly into this.

If the phone works then the problem is in your internal wiring.

If it does not then it is a BT Openreach network problem but you may have to argue this out with them as you do not require an engineer home visit.

Last year here in North West London someone put a pickaxe through a main telephone cable servicing several hundred homes and as customers reported faults BT were trying to send out engineers to each customer as the customers cost. It was only after I tried the above test and argued the toss with BT did the realise the magnititude of the problem which their fault management systems seem unable to cope with.