cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Connection!

N/A

No Connection!

OK, F9 I give up!

Why can't I connect this afternoon? There I was, working away on a web site for someone and went for a coffee. Arrived back after 5mins to find my router connection down. Line is still syncing but no amount of persuading will make my router reconnect.

This happened to me about a fortnight ago. Same symptoms and although these pages were completely devoid of any howls of protest, the PlusNet pages had quite a few complaints about it.

So, I've gone and dug out my old internal modem, installed it and connected the good old-fashioned way in the hope that the Support page may throw some light on what's wrong and equally importantly, how long before it will be put right. Evil (Just shows how naive I am.)

Force9 continue to provide a very cheap service. The trouble is, it's starting to behave like one.

Fred
20 REPLIES
N/A

No Connection!

Hello forgedykes (fred),

This sounds suspicously like a stale ADSL session, a stale ADSL session has classic symptoms of no data being transferred over the connection, your router or modem light still says your sync'd or still connected. This is a very very common broadband problem and it could happen to anyone and its NOT specific to any one router or modem either. Its happened to me only a very few times, perhaps only 3 or 4 since I've had broadband which is about 3 yrs now.

**If I am right here? the solution is very very easy to apply, simply disconnect your router or modem physically is best (make sure its electronically disconnected). keep the system disconnected for atleast 30-40mins this has the effect of forcing the ADSL Line card at your BT exchange to reset itself. After this just reconnect and you should be given a fresh ADSL session and after that no more problems, it should all work fine.

Ivan
N/A

No Connection!

Hi Ivan

Thanks for your input once more. Much appreciated.

Now back on ADSL.

Hmm, I'd switched off the router this afternoon for about 5 mins but from what you are saying, this would not be enough to reset the session.

I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago and inadvertently left the router on "dial on demand" so the router was disconnecting after 15 mins of no traffic. I suspect that would have happened at some point this afternoon and then I couldn't reconnect. I've now changed that to "Keep alive" with a ping rate of 30sec (which is the default) so I'll wait and see.

Fred
N/A

No Connection!

I have had this problem for a week good luck having any help from force9 with this one !
I suppose I may aswell try this 40 mins shutdown, although my line is very random. Yesterday it was perfect for the whole day, today its back to disconnecting and not syncing then it will be fine for maybe 20 mins, maybe 1 hour then do the same again so nothing to lose here by switching off my router I suppose cant get any worse.
N/A

No Connection!

Hi,

I dont think you are alone bye any means, it seems the connection quality has been "all over the show" in the last 24/48hrs but now seems to be stabilizing again as far as I can see. My speed tester results have been as low as 1.7megs and then back to 4.2megs again. :roll:

Ivan
N/A

No Connection!

Ive had to revert back to my modem and software firewall which I dont want but its all I can do to get on the net. I switched on the PC one morning to find the router not getting a connection. Ive tried every combination of setting for the router - all in vain, disconnected the router for about 4 hours one day and still no joy. Help please!!!!
N/A

No Connection!

Ive had to revert back to my modem and software firewall which I dont want but its all I can do to get on the net. I switched on the PC one morning to find the router not getting a connection. Ive tried every combination of setting for the router - all in vain, disconnected the router for about 4 hours one day and still no joy. Help please!!!!
N/A

No Connection!

Hi michaelberry,

That sounds like a pretty serious problem you have there? if your router is showing no sync, no connection at all I wonder whats going on.

1) I know you may have done all or most of these things, checked all the basic stuff like microfilter or spliiter, is the MF splitter plugged into the BT master socket? make sure you dont have any long phone extension leads (is it a wired or wireless router?). Look at the end of the day you need to be as sure as you can its NOT a problem with your own equipement??

2) Contact BT & report a voice call problem NOT a broadband problem, ask them to test your phone line for a fault. You could say your voice service seems intermittent? or some such but DONT say its anything to do with broadband or they wont help you at all.

3) Have you checked your BT phone exchange status via the Plusnet Usertools website to see if any problems have been reported. http://users.plus.net/

4) Have you checked that your phone line doesnt have a lot of noise or crackling, check by just lifting the receiver and listening to what you get. You should be able to tell if theres alot of noisy stuff going on.

5) have you tries to run the F9 broadband fault checker here on the portal as you still have dialup access?

6) I wouldnt give up!! sounds like you might have to be quite persistent with F9 but thers still a small (very small now!) chance that if you phone them up, you might still get a real person. Also I would also open a support ticket too at the same time it cannot hurt. (but dont expect a quick response).

Ivan
N/A

No Connection!

Have you been Tiscali'd....err....LLU'd?

There are a number of posts similar to this, with customers being placed on the alternate supplier network, without any notification from F9/plusnet.
N/A

No Connection!

Hi Graham,

Yes! you could well be right mate! I thought that when F9 PN moved your service to Tiscarli doesnt that involve a disconnect & then reprovisioning?

I wouldnt be at all suprised if this is the case though and nobody has bothered to tell the customer, that would just be typical of course and would just be a reflection yet again of the attrocious F9 support of late.

Ivan
N/A

No Connection!

Finally I figured the problem with my router.

With my ADSL modem my username has to be "myname"@f9.co.uk.
With the router I only had to type "myname" as my username until one night a setting was changed leaving me to resort back to my modem to get on the net and leaving my daughters pc with no net. I now have to type "myname"@f9.co.uk to get the router working. Thats it. No settings were made on my part and any updates for my pc I checked and nothing that would affect the router were installed.

Thanks for your replies.
N/A

No Connection!

With my ADSL modem my username has to be "myname"@f9.co.uk.
With the router I only had to type "myname" as my username...

Hi michaelberry

Err, not sure I'm following this correctly.

Your username is the same whether using an ADSL modem or a router - it's your ADSL account that dictates your username and password.

When you set up username and password on a router, you ought to be able to save your settings to memory, so do not need to enter anything when powering the router. Your router should be permanently connected to broadband when powered up anyway.
N/A

No Connection!

I got my router about 8 or 9 months ago and I set my username without @f9.co.uk with no problems until I tried to use the internet one morning and couldnt. My router is switched on all the time. I have found that I need to type in @f9.co.uk after my username to get the router working now. I had the settings saved.
N/A

No Connection!

Hi michaelberry

Well, I've always saved my user name as username@f9.co.uk for my ADSL account as instructed by F9 in my Welcome letter and never had any log in problems. (There, that's torn it! Wink)
N/A

No Connection!

What do you mean "thats torn it"