cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice example of what's wrong with MaxDSL?

NewtonGauss
Grafter

For the first time today, I thought that there was light at the end of the tunnel after 16 days of frustration with MaxDSL. For around 18 hours I had a rock solid connection with a downstream connection speed of 4864 kbps and an SNR of around 8 db, very much in line with the Plusnet reported stable rate of 4500 kbps.

Then at around 9:45 pm my connection went down and, since then, I have experienced numerous disconnects. The reason -- MaxDSL is now forcing downstream connection rates between 5800 and 6100 kbps!

To me this demonstrates that there is something fundamentally wrong with BT's MaxDSL algorithm. If a disconnection has occurred after a long period of stability, why increase the downstream connection rate by over 1000 kbps? It just doesn't make sense.

Alex Balfour
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I've had a similar experience but in the other direction. Was syncing at 2560Kbs @ 6dB SNR for over 120 hours solid. All workng find with a nice data rate of 2Mbs (previously my line would only support 1Mbs) so I was very happy.

Rebooted my router due to having to move it and it would not sync. Left it for 10 mins then power cycled it again. It sybced but only as 1600Kbs and @ 12dB SNR. Since then I have never been able to get above 1600Kbs and get it to sync at anything less than 12dB so it looks like the exchange has decided my min SNR is now 12dB.

As a result my data rate has gone down to 1Mbs now BUT I still have interleaving on so my connecton is worse that it was pre-Max.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the exchange to sync faster but it will not budge.

:x :x :x

So I agree, the algorithms or systems being used for Max are unreliable and forgetful. I know a lot about ADSL and I'm stumped so I feel sorry for those who are not a clued up as I am - and that includes CS who have been fighting a loosing battle with all the Max tickets and irate customers since Max was introduced. Ans with 35,000 users on Max now, thats an lot of problems!!!!
NewtonGauss
Grafter

Peter,

Thank you for confirming my belief.

I guess I would feel a lot happier if someone in Plusnet would acknowledge that there is something fundamentally wrong and that BT is aware of the fact.

Alex Balfour
LiamM
Grafter

I suspect that this is partly the reason that BT pulled out the Bulk Regrade tool yesterday due to a "software glitch". It gives them at least two weeks to try and sort out some problems before ISPs will be able to pile orders in again.
N/A

We can rumble on with this debate for the coming months.

At the moment, I can't do anything decent online like World of Warcraft, chatting to people, downloads etc.

Cry Cry Cry
Firejack
Grafter

Yup I'm I'm having similar difficultly in World of Warcraft. I imagine my situation is a bit more servere then yours since I'm our Main Tank and in the Officer in charge of our new DKP system. Nothing like disconnecting moments before our first ever Chromaggus kill to drive you crazy :shock:

Back on topic. I enjoyed a 36 period where I had a very stable connection. Was 3296 @ 12 SNR. However tonight I've been sync at around 4800 and 6 SNR with disconnections all the time. Irritating issue. Constant 20 second pauses while you reconnect is very annoying.
N/A

I suggest not to play any games online until the whole matter is sorted :/

I keep getting drops EVERY 2 minutes or so...