cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newsgroup missing messages

N/A

Newsgroup missing messages

Just been using the Plus newsgroups for the first time. I notice that there are so many incomplete posts, particularly in the binaries. I have been used to NTL which sometimes has the same problem but nowhere near so bad. Is this a normal condition for Plusnet? Has anyone else noticed it? Is anthing being done about it ?

Rod
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Newsgroup missing messages

Hi Rod, Due to the way peering works, we are never going to be able to display every post that is posted to a newsgroup.

We are always looking to improve the service and we have a lot of our customers that regularly perform tests in comparison with other news feeds and we regularly equal major news suppliers in the ammount of posts carrtied in a particular group.

However, if you raise a issue using the contact us system and provide us with the news group that you were reading we will be happy to assist further.

Best Regards,
Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

dave please how can u say them words Huh?

since ya parted with a well known company news services as never been the same!!!!
unless i have missed some big say from plusnet Huh?

my advice for cheapest is claranews.com m8y
they are starting to pull there socks up!!!

> Hi Rod, Due to the way peering works, we are never going to be able to display every post that is posted to a newsgroup.
>
> We are always looking to improve the service and we have a lot of our customers that regularly perform tests in comparison with other news feeds and we regularly equal major news suppliers in the ammount of posts carrtied in a particular group.
>
> However, if you raise a issue using the contact us system and provide us with the news group that you were reading we will be happy to assist further.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dave.
>
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

Thanks for the response.
Take a look at any of the alt.binaries.sounds.HuhHuh? groups and you will see enough part 1's and last parts missing to make one think it might not be entirely accidental ?

Rod
N/A

Of course anyone who makes a posting can issue a deletion to the posting. Or the posting may not have been posted in the first place.

PlusNet do not censor its feed, every posting that reaches our servers appears on our feed without human intervention on our part.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

What exactly is a binarie newsgroup as oposed to a normal newsgroup?, they look the same to me
N/A

text groups are noted as purely contain text postings, while binary groups are full of downloadable files.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
N/A

Well I'm glad to hear that.
I guess it must be some one down the line
doing a censor job.
There may be some 'never posted it all' situations but the fact is a good portion of the missing posts are on the NTL news server.
So what is it that they have got that Plusnet does not have ?

Rod
N/A

Is it that the binary items have expired? We carry a 100% of the news which is provided by our news peers. If the article is passed to us, it is avaiulable to download.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
N/A

> May as well add my two penneth,
I use a couple of 0845 ISP' as well as PlusNet, and their binary feed is always complete, however when i switch to PlusNet the missing parts are obvious, surely this must be a prob at PlusNets end?
I'd love to use my Connect account for everything, but at present it ain't possible. Get the binary feed sorted and things will be peachy.....cheers.
Steve.
N/A

> > May as well add my two penneth,
> I use a couple of 0845 ISP' as well as PlusNet, and their binary feed is always complete, however when i switch to PlusNet the missing parts are obvious, surely this must be a prob at PlusNets end?
> I'd love to use my Connect account for everything, but at present it ain't possible. Get the binary feed sorted and things will be peachy.....cheers.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your comments regarding our news feed, we always welcome feed-back from our users.

As stated by Kevin, we do provide all of the posts provided to us. Our Network Operations Centre will continue to monitor the news server for you and are continually looking at ways of improving the service we provide.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
taeppa
Dabbler

Dave (and all of Plusnet),

The Plusnet binary newsgroup service has been the subject of continuous customer criticism over many months due to the high number of incomplete postings. Given the otherwise high standard of service delivery from Plusnet, I am extremely frustrated that customer support repeatedly offer platitudes each time, saying that this will be investigated/looked into/etc/etc. As a long time user of Plusnet the newsgroup service is not improving.

It is unclear if Plusnet is unwilling or unable to address the problem of frequent missing binary posts, I'd simply like Plusnet to be honest. I don't believe that they are not technically competent enough to discover the cause, maybe it's a low priority for them, maybe there aren't enough users who care? The only way to resolve this may be for all those who care enough to raise a ticket through the contact us process - but I wouldn't want to overwhelm the system.

As ADSL take-up increases, users will inevitably expect to make greater user of this service. So lets have a view from Plusnet please, one we can all live with (no spin, just honest facts).

Ken
N/A

You might be interested in this.
I was just checking some random newsgroups on plus against my NTL account
in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.bluegrass
on ntl nearly every multipart is complete.
the same group on Plus has nearly every multipart incomplete (mostly the top bottom or middle message missing).
As an experiment I thought I would download
some thing and see if I could recombine it using a part from NTL.
I started downloading the it fell over saying
the message was no linger on the server.
More checking reveiled that even the ones I had downloaded had been deleted in fact there are now NO messages on the server for that group.
Come on plus guys stop messing us about.
Rod
N/A

Dear Users,

I would admint that our usenet service is not perfect. We do operate our own news servers, and we do care about usenet. We have a dedicated satelite feed for our binary groups, and peer with multiple global ISP's for our text groups... I'd be the first to admit though that our binary feed does have the occasional hole. This is something that we are working on improving.

There are plans in the pipeline for improvements in our usenet service over the next few months.

Kind regards

Kevin
N/A

Thanks for the response.

I think 'occasional holes' is a bit of an understatement. Haver you checked out those binaries lately ? You will find you are hard pressed to find ANY complete post in any of them.
Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words, I look forward to changes for the better.
Rod