cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newsgroup Settings

mrchalk
Grafter

Newsgroup Settings

EDIT*** Just got on newsgroups there but i cant dl from a certain group? What is going on? Are there only limited groups now or what? Cheers dudes...
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Newsgroup Settings

Hi,

Which group are you having a problem with? If you've got old settings it may be worth updating your group list.
mrchalk
Grafter

Newsgroup Settings

Hi its alt.binaries.boneless

Im getting a message saying something like "error, group does not exist on this server"...

Cheers for your help btw Wink

P.S Is the hostname news.plus.net? thats what i have it set to & i have tried a full update of the groups...
N/A

Newsgroup Settings

You wont get binary newsgroups on PN anymore, they stopped binaries at the beginning of April, so you'll have to pay.

Personally I'm not that heavy a user of Usenet so I use Astraweb, it has a pay as you go option so you can use your GB's when you like. They have their offer on again, 90GB for $25 which works out at 17p per GB, cheap enough really, a 4GB DVD for about 70p isn't too bad Smiley 90GB lasts me about 3-4 months.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/
mrchalk
Grafter

Newsgroup Settings

Cheers for that info! Thats a bit poo, aint it! :lol: I was paying there for about a year but havent been using them as much recently so i just cancelled. I was with Giganews An it cost £7 for 25gb per month. Anyway, astraweb looks good enough as i can use the 90gb over a few months, is that right? Onli thing is, i was a bit spoilt with Giganews cause they had like over 60 days retention... Anywayz, ill give it a go! Cheers Wink Cheesy
N/A

Newsgroup Settings

At first I was a bit annoyed that PN had got rid of the binaries but then realised that a year earlier I was paying £29.99 for a 1MB service, now I pay £21.99 for a 6.5MB service, it's give and take really, so I have no complaints.

The retention on Astraweb is about 25-30 days (nearer 30) and they have three different servers so there is always a connection. 30 day retention isn't fantastic but for the price you can't go wrong and you'll get most of what you want.
mrchalk
Grafter

Newsgroup Settings

Yes, very true! I agree with everything you say there! Thanks very much for your help Wink