cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News groups

N/A

News groups

have all news groups gone, was trying to read the headers but its not picking any groups up, make that picking them up so very slowley, I just installed xnews to have a quick look at the groups but its anything but quick, its like crawling through treacle...

So many problems of late ie email slow connection slow etc etc

Are PlusNet loosing it is it time to move on??

Been over 5mins and Xnews has only picked up 1510 groups.... :shock:
12 REPLIES
N/A

News groups

Check out the other threads here, here and well, you get the idea Wink
There have been problems, reconnecting may help, but it may not... certainly not permanently.

As an aside, who is your news provider? If you're using PlusNet's servers, they are going soon, but a text only feed should still be available at text.usenet.plus.net.
N/A

News groups

Don't use news that often and only use PlusNets, I knew they were going so I thought I'd have a look to see whats about before they dissapear

So those threads after I posted.......
JonathanW
Grafter

News groups

If you're using our servers, which one are you using? If you're using the regular usenet.plus.net server then I'd sugggest trying text.usenet.plus.net to see if that improves performance at all.
N/A

News groups

""If you're using our servers, which one are you using? If you're using the regular usenet.plus.net server then I'd sugggest trying text.usenet.plus.net to see if that improves performance at all.""

are you saying the old usenet.plus.net is'nt up to it anymore
Has it gone before it's timeHuh
N/A

News groups

It's probably just that they're not doing any maintenance on them and letting them slowly die a death as they become more and more overloaded and well, fall over.
That said people have had huge problems using external premium and free servers too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

News groups

I think they are actually the same boxes - it's just that they are given different priorities by the HellyConYas.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

News groups

has anyone got any suggestions for good free binary news servers? used to be on biggulp but it has long gone.there just dont seem to be any reliable ones out there. thanks.
JonathanW
Grafter

News groups

Yesh, its the same platform just handled slightly differently by the rest of the network. Which is why, depending on account type and any specific management, the text only server can be better.
N/A

News groups

I'm a Premier 2MB customer and the old usenet.plus.net is awful

I think your equipment has throttled it to death. much the way the service is going

Slow browsing during peak periods again tonight email very slow

PlusNet peak time bandwidth is not enough to get constant good speeds

Speeds fluctuate between slow and very slow

Time to look around at other ISP's offerings

Every user at PlusNet is getting penalised with the way the network now works

Using the service off peak and speeds are fine but peak time very poor and so many problems of late

Blame your customers PlusNet THEY USE THERE CONNECTIONS :shock: :shock:
N/A

News groups

Same as usaual browsing etc good at this time, but when I get home tonight and try at peak time it'll crawl along ......................
N/A

News groups

Every user at PlusNet is getting penalised with the way the network now works

This is a key point. The idea of traffic management and PlusNet's vision is sound. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it's not working. If it were just the bandwidth heavy apps that were having problems, then at least part of the traffic managemt would be working. But when the range of usage the users are having problems with covers Usenet, P2P, FTP, SSH, Gaming, Web Browsing, Streaming Media, etc, it's clear that there is a deep problem somewhere.

As a side-note, speeds at 0800 seem fine, I can actually get headers quickly from even PlusNet's old binary server. The fact that this is the case and that there is such a difference between the text and binary feeds that plusnet run, after what Jon has said, shows that management at peak times is currently extremely heavy for those of use paying the premium to be able to use our connections as we wish. As I said, if these draconian limits (I understand the need to not abuse the network, but I want to simply use it) actually helped latency sensitive applications then that would be one thing, but seeing as playing WoW lags horribly and streaming from the BBC dies and stutters at peak time..
N/A

News groups

Yes email tonight is slow checking again but no time outs ATM

Browsing is slow also, I understand the need for what PlusNet are trying to do, I have used under 1GB (1 week into my usage) at peak time (the new/old peak time 4pm to Midnight)

But IMHO opinion PlusNet need to get the tweaking better