cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News Server access from another ISP?

N/A

Is it possible to authenticate to the news server with my plusnet username and password from a different ISP?

It's just that I want to run a perl script (iirc) on a server using crontab that would post a faq to a newsgroup every other week. This script would be running on my hosting provider, thus a different network to plusnet! hence the question...? :?:
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Only PlusNet IPs have access to the news server so you can't access it from another ISP.
N/A

I see Sad

Can I run perl scripts on our standard webspace? and if so, do you know if they can access usenet?

If not!, what about setting up a separate hosting account with plusnet, would that allow this perl script to post to usenet?!

Sorry for the newbie questions, I haven't really had a chance to investigate as my migration from Zen :twisted: dosen't go live until this Monday the 13th Tongue
Community Veteran

You can only run perl scripts on your CGI webspace (they must go in the cgi-bin directory) which is a separate server to the homepages (www) webspace.. The homepages (www) webspace does not allow cgi / php.

Access to port 119 is avalable on the cg server so you could access usenet from there.

I suggest you look at the tutorials forum which explains how to setup and access your CGI shell.