Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

N/A

Newbie Questions

Hi All,

Just a couple of quick 'newbie-type' questions:-

I have very recently taken delivery of a PCI ADSL modem, and after installing it, the drivers and configuring it I am now connected.

Once I am connected all is good, however once I disconnect, obtaining a new connection is not possible until I cold boot my Windows 98 PC (a restart doesn't make it work!).

If I click Disconnect from the icon in the system tray, I disconnect.

If I want to reconnect at a later stage, I double-click the AccessRunner DSL icon, but immediately encounter Error 691 - you have been disconnected from the network - and I cannot get connected at this point even if I repeatedly try to connect.

At this point, I can hear the modem clicking repeatedly as though it is trying establish a connection.

The only solution thus far has been to cold boot.

Any suggestions?

Question 2 - am I supposed to leave my connection on/active all the time?

Even though I have a firewall type product loaded, I didn't think that this was a good idea due to possible security breaches.

What do you recommend?
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Newbie Questions

Hi,

> What do you recommend?

What do you recommend?

Question 1:

There are a couple of things I would suggest here. Firstly, it has been known that changing the PCI card to a different available slot can cure this problem so that's definitely worth a go. Secondly, I would ensure that you are using the latest available drivers and that they are one hundred percent compatible with your operating system.

Question 2:

Whether or not you leave your connection 'always on' is entirely down to your preference. The ADSL account does give you the ability to do this but it is obviously not a stipulation that you must!

If you are worried about security issues, you can't do any harm by installing a software firewall and an up to date virus checker; a quick search of the net will provide you with plenty of options.

Best Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

Mark, thanks for your suggestions.

>Firstly, it has been known that changing the PCI card to a different available slot can cure this problem so that's definitely worth a go.

I will try this and let you know how I get on. Cheers!

>Secondly, I would ensure that you are using the latest available drivers and that they are one hundred percent compatible with your operating system.

Where can I obtain the very latest drivers from? On the Conexant website, they only seemed to provide generic drivers.

> If you are worried about security issues, you can't do any harm by installing a software firewall and an up to date virus checker

Appreciate the tip - I already have these in place.

Thanks again.

MARK
{8-)
N/A

Hi again Mark,

> Where can I obtain the very latest drivers from? On the Conexant website, they only seemed to provide generic drivers.

A good site to obtain all the latest drivers is:

www.themad-house.co.uk

The specific link you will require is:

http://www.themad-house.co.uk/Conexant/DOWNLOAD/dabsADSL%202.099.040.000%20WAN.zip

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on ...

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+