cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - Question regarding Broadband Plus

Desperion
Dabbler

I have just signed up for 2Mb Broadband Plus *today* and having read some of the forum input re activation of account, I feel somewhat concerned.

Apparently if the 2Mb Broadband plus is applied for, Plusnet place and order for 2Mb irrespective of whether the line is capable of accepting 2Mb or not. ? According to some writers, if the line does not support 2Mb then BT will reject this order neccessitating a further order for example, for a 1Mb line, thus increasing the delay in the connectivity period ?

Surely, as is the case with other ISP's, the line check would include a check to determine whether the line could support 2Mb in the first instance, before the order was actually placed Huh

For the record, during my search for a suitable ISP, I have been informed by no less than three other ISP's that my line will only support 1Mb !!!!!

Would any support staff or others care to comment Huh? :?
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

A preliminary check is made to see what speed your line could support, if there's no chance of 2Mbps, then it will get submitted at a lower speed. Only if we are fairly confident that your line would support 2Mbps would it go through as 2Mbps. Even then it also needs to pass BT Wholesale's checks to get enabled at that speed.

If other ISP's are saying the line will only support 1Mbps then I'd say it's very likely that's the speed it will be ordered at. Once the order is submitted you can check what speed was ordered via Contact Us, click help at the top then Contact Us on the left and view all queries and there should be a closed ticket that says something like

"line check for phone number 0**********, IPStream XXXXX." The XXXXX being the speed.
Desperion
Dabbler

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the swift reply, I feel more re-assured now.

If all comms are as swift as that at Plusnet I look forward to a long stay Cheesy
N/A

Oh just wait for your Plus P2P speeds...you'll be speechless :lol:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed. Please only use PART of a preceding post as a quote.
Desperion
Dabbler

I've done the research - surprise me! Wink

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote removed.
N/A

Speechless for sure he will be..thats if he uses p2p .

But e-mail and surfing will be ok.. :roll:

thxs
N/A

I've done the research - surprise me! Wink

Remember all those years ago on dialup...waiting 25 minutes to get 1 song? :lol:
Desperion
Dabbler

I'll just have to "whistle a happy tune" :lol:
N/A

As a new BB+ customer, I'm very happy with the value for money this product represents. Surfing and Download speeds are great, and gaming / xbox live isn't too bad either. At £14.99 a month, it's a steal.

P2P speeds don't really concern me - although I did a quick test, and it wasn't going anywhere fast Smiley

-Paul
Desperion
Dabbler

Thanks for that Paul, I'm sure I'll agree with you Wink

Must sign off now, look forward to joining you all in the "Surf"

Donald