cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New usage

N/A

New usage

Wondering if anyone but me think Premier option 1 ( Premier upto 2mb)'s new useage policy is a rip off.

15gb a month PEAK usage...

I agreed with plus's old usage. 100gb a month was fair. i would never of went over that.

BUT ive already went over 10gb this month of peak time usage... is it my fault i mostly use my internet during the day? i work nights (5pm - 2am) how am i ment to use the net when i am not in??

Ive complaint to plusnet but all i got was "we will pass your feedback on".

Sorry but i know alot of plusnet customer. or should i say EX plusnet customers, who got rid of plus because of this and more.

Im really disapointed in plusnet, another thing that gets me, they are upgrading most of us to 8mb/s.. YET lowering our max usage... this makes no damn sense what so ever. you want us to download fast and then *COUGH* off or somehing?

All in all, if plus doesnt sort there usage out im off. im not paying for Premier to be limited this much.

SORT IT OUT PLUS. or lose ANOTHER customer!

edit: edited post and killed poll... my bad...
40 REPLIES
N/A

New usage

I've been stressing about this for a while myself, I feel just the same as you and totally agree. Its a total joke and this package seriously needs to be revised so everyones happy, and not just the MAJORITY OF USERS.

I've been proud to be a Plusnet customer and recommend this service to friends, but now its just turned into a big rip off and it needs sorting out.

And yes, getting an 8mb connection sounds exciting but when you are capped at such a low level this type of connection is worthless, the whole point in a faster connection is so you can download faster and this will obviously encourage users to download more due to the speed, but being capped at 10gb and after that your broadband speed is lowered is total garbage.
N/A

New usage

Erm, isn't the 15GB peak usage between 4pm and 12 midnight, not the other way around?

It's not an ideal situation, but I work from home so I've just made sure all my work-related FTP usage is done outside of the peak time if possible. PlusNet are throttling my FTP speeds, of course, and denying that they're doing so, but that's another story...
N/A

New usage

to be honest there peak times have me confused to hell.

7am to 6pm = bt bis time.
plus bis time = 4pm till 12amHuh or 12am to 4pm?? im confused. and annoyed
N/A

New usage

isn't it 10gb and there afer the speed of the connection is lowered, just a little slap on the wrist punishment to say we have been bad for over using our internet connection.
N/A

New usage

peak time = 4pm till 12am
off peak time = 12am till 4pm

However if most people schedule downloading at off-peak times wont we notice a significant speed reduction in any case?.due to heavy loads of people downloading off peak?..

and then if we download at peak times we risk going over 10gb in a matter of a few days, meaning we end up with a lower connection at each milestone?

and then once the connection is upgraded to 8mb ( or already is) the speeds will be faster, but the chances of reaching the limit will be increased dramatically?
CRTC
Grafter

New usage

Agree with you guys.

Premier is anything but Premier anymore.

I've been a loyal +net user since 2002 (BB Premier since Feb 2003, and Dialup before that), and I've recommended friends, family and work colleagues to +net because of the great service I was getting.

However, all the changes with speed upgrades, yet lower usage allowances is just a sham, and I have virtually lost all faith in +net's ability to improve the user experience.

My average usage is 15-25 gig a month, but that is because I also work from home. +net's SUP with 30 gig a month was bad enough when they said "don't worry - this policy will only ever effect something like 5% of customers..."

Yet now? Even less usage allowances of 15 Gb, and only 10 Gb of that is without being managed. Very poor +net. If it carries on like this... I will seriously think about leaving, because the majority of my usage is during the day, and I thought "Premier" meant it was the best, and you could use it in a sensible way without restrictions. Sadly, it doesn't look like this will ever be the case again.

I'd much rather have 30 Gb monthly peak, and stay at 2 Mb. 8 Mb will be worthless for me.
N/A

New usage

I totally agree, I even posted in another topic about this, and the reply I get is that at Plusnet they wish to provide a package that suits the majority of users.

But from all the posts I've been looking at the majority of users are un-happy about this new scheme.Its a total joke. and Yes there is no point in this 8mb upgrade with such dramtically capped broadband

Its limitted that much I'm going to have to keep visiting the Plusnet site to check my usage, now that is stupid, I feel like i'm on Pay as you go but I'm topped up with bandwith of 10gb a month..

Plusnet is not the same anymore, its such a shame to be honest. but it makes me very angry..
N/A

New usage

isn't it 10gb and there afer the speed of the connection is lowered, just a little slap on the wrist punishment to say we have been bad for over using our internet connection.

peak time = 4pm till 12am
off peak time = 12am till 4pm

However if most people schedule downloading at off-peak times wont we notice a significant speed reduction in any case?.due to heavy loads of people downloading off peak?..

and then if we download at peak times we risk going over 10gb in a matter of a few days, meaning we end up with a lower connection at each milestone?

and then once the connection is upgraded to 8mb ( or already is) the speeds will be faster, but the chances of reaching the limit will be increased dramatically?

The average peak connection times is 322.58 MB a day. This is based on 10,000MB deivided by 31 days. I am within these limits without any loss of connectivity
aeroalfie
Grafter

New usage

Darrencook:

You still get a rough 100gb a month and you have 16 hours (off peak) each day to use it however you want.
Peak time is 4pm - 12am in which you can use 15gb or what ever the premier 1 peak time allowance is a month.

Just schedule your downloads to fit in the 18 hours off peak 100gb allowance.
N/A

New usage

Darrencook:

You still get a rough 100gb a month and you have 18 hours (off peak) each day to use it however you want.
Peak time is 4pm - 12am in which you can use 15gb or what ever the premier 1 peak time allowance is a month.

Just schedule your downloads to fit in the 18 hours off peak 100gb allowance.

as the other person said. if everyone sets things to upload / download at off peak plus will soon lower that limit also. also the fact of getting higher download speeds means more usage. i would rather stick to 2mb/s with the old usage policy then 8mb/s on this one!!
CRTC
Grafter

New usage

The thing which I find really annoying is that +net seem to keep moving the goalposts.

Why say you have a usage limit of 15 Gb, when in reality it's really 10 Gb of "Premier" Internet experience before you become a "bad boy" and we put you on our list of "people eating into our profit too much ...."

In reality, I'm sure it's nothing like that, but without +net publishing crystal clear guidelines that everybody could understand, and without various members of the comms team all giving their own little hints, and setting of rumours about things everybody seems to just assume it will be as bad as they fear.

I understand they need to manage their network, but why not just become a pure ISP, instead of trying to entice people with lots of "add-ons". They funny thing is at the same time as all these restrictions/speed upgrades, they are trying to be all things for all people( at least in marketing terms)

For example, get rid of:

Referrals
    (it's only saving me a quid a month, so hardly losing anything, and I doubt most people have that many referrals - could be wrong though)
    Webspace/CGI
    (I'll use a dedicated host... they can then save money on the servers/support for that as well)
    plusTalk
    (I'd much rather choose my own solution/equipment/provider, as it stands I don't use it)
    Usenet/add-on stuff like diaries/bbc player etc
    All this extra stuff could be taken away, and I wouldn't miss it. I'd find and pay for access if I wanted it. Bundling all this costs +net, but probably appeals to a very small minority of the userbase.

In summary, I'd be happy to pay £25 - £35, but it would need to be clear. Look, this is your range of options. Pay this per month, and you get x amount of bandwidth. Go over, and your limit for next month will be reduced etc. You will get a clean connection for anything you want up until your limit - anything after that and you will be limited on P2P, which is what these restrictions are really to do with in my opinion.

All this talk of so much bandwidth allowance, but use 75% of that, and you'll be managed just means to most people something like "we say we give you x amount of bandwidth, but in reality it's much less... but we say you have more, otherwise there'd be a revolt and customers might leave enmasse..." I think the use a % of this just muddles things, and makes most people angry and suspicious of things +net say, and I can't really blame them.
michaelscott
Grafter

New usage

as the other person said. if everyone sets things to upload / download at off peak plus will soon lower that limit also. also the fact of getting higher download speeds means more usage. i would rather stick to 2mb/s with the old usage policy then 8mb/s on this one!!

People have been scheduling downloads for off-peak hours ever since SUP was announced and they've always ran fine. PlusNet have increased the number of off peak hours in a day. So, if anything, off-peak download speeds should improve as downloads can be scheduled across a bigger slice of the day.
N/A

New usage

I'm another customer who's been with Plusnet for several years, and in the past I've recommended them to friends and work colleagues - that won't be happening again!

The number of times they've changed their usage policies in the last 12 months is staggering, and the way in which they've communicated these changes has been nothing short of disgraceful. Especially their lack of consistency.

Have a look at the following 2 pages, and see if you can work out what your usage limits are:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Surely these 2 pages are completely contradictory?

Also, to quote from the Issue 3 Plusnet Newsletter:

"Option 1 includes a massive 15GB of usage at peak times (4pm – midnight) and no usage limits during off-peak hours"

And yet I found this post in another topic:

"For the rest of the day, there's no set limit as to how much you can use. Though as a guidline figure 100GB is about right, after which we might take a further interest in the ammount of data you're using.

Jon Whiting
PlusNet Customer Support"

Does that mean they were lying in the newsletter?

I can't work it out... :?
N/A

New usage

Im sorry, I dont normal bother posting anything on the forum as I never have any answers Wink however having read this thread I must agree PlusNet are really pushing EVERYONE! How can a company get away with this!?Huh