cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New spam filtering

garywood84
Grafter

New spam filtering

Despite the recent disucssions on this forum and other PlusNet related discussion groups, the FAQ section for the new Spam tools states:

Also, even though you set your Spam Protection settings for your whole account, each of your mailboxes will have its own 'Spam' folder. These will need to be checked individually.

Many people have asked if there could be the option to have just one spam folder for the whole account, with spam-tagged messages being directed there, regardless of which mailbox they were originally addressed to.

The issue is that some users have multiple mailboxes which they use for different purposes. If these are checked through POP, the spam won't show up, and with the new system which has been implemented users will either have to put up with the spam, or start checking all of their mailboxes via IMAP and then check each mailbox's spam folder individually.

If all spam could be directed into one junk box for the whole account, then only that mailbox would have to be checked via IMAP.

PlusNet: please can you respond to this suggestion that many people asked for, to let us know if it can be implemented and when?
15 REPLIES
mapletree
Grafter

New spam filtering

There is an issue about this on the usergroup. You can add your vote to it:

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=306
decomplexity
Rising Star

New spam filtering

Unless you use a large number of mailboxes, checking the spam hived off from these into spam folders should only be a marginal inconvenience. Assume you are using some common non-web client – Outlook 2003 for example – and that you usually use (and I assume want to continue to use) POP3 for non-spam email:

Simply:
a. IMAP-subscribe only to the spam folders (not the IMAP inboxes or other IMAP folders such as Trash) associated with each mailbox
b. include these folders for download in each send/receive (in Outlook, for example, Tools => Send/Receive => Send/Receive Settings => Define Send/Receive Groups), but with ‘download headers only’

Then continue to use POP3 send/receive for your non-spam inbox emails as usual.

When spam is added to one of the IMAP folders, the folder will be highlighted bold. You can then check, delete and purge deleted messages at will.

(Perhaps to ease the start-up issues which have been reported, PN should have sent each mailbox a dummy spam email to prime each IMAP spam folder!)

In passing, the new feature is a huge bonus for those like me who use POP3 or IMAP email from a mobile phone: I can download useful (non spam) email without also downloading another two or three hundred spams. Before the change, even downloading just the headers (to save airtime charges) gave a mailbox so full of rubbish that it was difficult to sort the gold from the dross on a tiny screen.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Andrew
Grafter

New spam filtering

Here's an alternative that is working for me.

I've created an Alias for the different mailboxes I use and deleted the mailboxes. Everything now gets delivered to the same mailbox, I only have one mailbox to download mail from and only one mailbox with a spam folder. I simply check this via webmail each morning for false positives and delete the rubbish. An outlook rule moves stuff that's for other members of the family into their own folders on delivery.

Hooray, no more email notifications when spam is delivered - coz it isn't delivered any more, faster send/receive, less band width usage and reading email via my mobile is possible again. This is actually better for me than the situation was before the security breach!

If I could whitelist the people who send me jokes etc that I want to read and can get tagged as spam it would be perfect. I wouldn't bother checking the spam folder, I'd just leave it to delete on it's own.
garywood84
Grafter

New spam filtering

decomplexity,

What you suggest is exactly what I want to do with the single spam box I'm pushing for.

As things stand, I have 5 or 6 mailboxes, with as many spam boxes to check. This also means that I have twice as many accounts set up in my mail client (Outlook 2007), because there's a POP3 and an IMAP for each.

So, I have to manually check inside each of these spam folders each day and delete the trash. It's just an extra hassle that could be easily solved by having it all moved to one mailbox.

Gary
Andrew
Grafter

New spam filtering

Gary, can you do what I've done then?

I have a mailbox abc@domain.co.uk and alias's set up of cde@domain.co.uk, fgh@domain.co.uk etc, these are all delivered to abc@domain.co.uk so there's only one spam folder, and I only have to d/l mail from one account.

It took me a while to get my head round what an alias is, it's basically a redirect to your main mailbox.

Andrew
garywood84
Grafter

New spam filtering

atetley,

Thanks for your reply. This soution may work well for some users, and would help with a couple of my mailboxes. But, one of the reasons that I have mutiple accounts is that I check them from different machines, which I use for different purposes. This means that I can't run all my mail through one account.

I really wish the PlusNet would respond to these requests. I'm not the only one who wants this - there are several threads in this forum asking for it and some on the usergroup.

Gary
garywood84
Grafter

New spam filtering

Any comments, Plus?
mooneyfamily
Grafter

New spam filtering

But why have an online SPAM folder check it?
Just download spam email as before and have a rule that puts it into a spam folder and then check it.
Much easier than mucking about with the PLusnet system.
Simple is best.
garywood84
Grafter

New spam filtering

mooneyfamily,

I'm not necessarily looking for the simplest solution, rather the most conveninent.

I've just had to download 700+ spam emails via POP3, and although these are filtered into my junk mail box by message rules, I still have to wait for them all to download and it takes 13Mb+ of my download limit to do so!

If PlusNet could give us the option to filter spam messages into a specific (say spam@username) mailbox, then we wouldn't have to download the entire messages, only the headers (i.e. subjet, date, sender, etc), by IMAP.

So, your junk mailbox would no longer be on your computer, with messages filtered into it via message rules at your end of things. The junk mailbox would be on the server, and messages would stay there unless you download them manually (by dragging and dropping them to your actual mailbox).

I hope this clarifies - and that we'll get a response from Plus soon...

Gary
mooneyfamily
Grafter

New spam filtering

By blackholing my account except for a few speific mailboxes i have cut right down on spam.
I just don't fancy having to go and look every few days at a special account that is not easy to access and is different for each mailbox.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

New spam filtering

Is there a reason why you have the mail set up with multiple mailboxes? With the new alias tool I'm wondering if it would be simpler to merge all the mailboxes into one by creating aliases instead and then you'd have just one spam mailbox.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New spam filtering

Different users, using different PCs is one reason I have multiple mailboxes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Malwa
Grafter

New spam filtering

Simply:
a. IMAP-subscribe only to the spam folders (not the IMAP inboxes or other IMAP folders such as Trash) associated with each mailbox....

How do you IMAP-subscribe just to the spam folders? I'm using Thnderbird 2.0 and all I seem to be able to do is get all the folders or none.
mcgerard
Grafter

New spam filtering

As well as using PlusNet I have an email service on 1and1. With the 1and1 service the spam also gets sent to my spam folder and is not dowloaded. But one thing extra thing you get from 1and1 is a daily email telling you about any new spam that has arrived. It gives the sender and the subject line so it can be quickly checked for any false positives. No need to log on to Web Mail to check the spam folder.

Maybe PlusNet might like to consider offering this.