cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New packages?

N/A

New packages?

Hi I was wondering if plusnet has looked at or made any plans for new services in the future that will offer faster upload bandwidth. I understand that this normally will involve SDSL or LLU but they are fast aproaching an exchange about 2miles from me have been subject to LLU.

Im not after definate info but it would be nice to know if I have to look for a new isp in the future or not Smiley
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

New packages?

As far as I know PlusNet are not involved in LLU and are concentrating on IPStream based products. But who knows what may happen in the future.

SDSL is still new technology and it only available in a limited number of exchanges (mostly city centre based). It is also very expensive and only viable for business use at this time. So even if PlusNet go down the SDSL path, it will be many years before it will be priced to be affordable to home users. Line lengths are also much reduced where comparable SDSL speeds are only possible at 1/3 to 1/2 the distance that ADSL would require - i.e. 512K SDSL is only available if you are 3.5KM or less from the exchange. Just search the news archive of ADSLguide for details.
N/A

New packages?

Thats the thing Im asking for my business lines, im currently trying to decided if I should move them from bt to another isp and if I do what options will be available in future, currently I use a load ballencing router to give me overall faster speeds for the business network so when one user is emailing out say a 2mb image other users arnt affected so much.

My only other option seams to be a leased line but the costing for them seams to be far more than I want to pay at the moment (ie more than an average persons wage before installation and hardware costs).
Community Veteran

New packages?

PlusNet are planning a revamp of their business packages at the end of this month so I would wait until you know what is being offered there before deciding what to do with your connection. At present only the likes of Bulldog have SDSL and I'm not sure if the SDSL market is in a state where other ISPs can make money out of it yet due to the high costs and very limited exchange availability.

At some point i'm sure ISPs will look at the SDSL market and start to offer such products. When that will be is anyones guess.
N/A

New packages?

From what i can figure out, BT wholesale already provides faster upload for ADSL connections.

386k upload is there, and some others (400-500k?) Check out with BT, but i'm almsot positive 288k isn't the restriction.
Community Veteran

New packages?

I think you will find it's not BT but other ISPs using LLU that are doing this as they can control the upload and download speeds that are available on their lines, so can offer connections with faster upload speeds.

The IPStream based products that BT supply are limited to 256K upload speeds and I'm not aware of that changing any time soon.
N/A

New packages?

Well I'm sure I saw it listed on BT's website, but that's probably why. I know nothing about LLU.

Is LLU available from most exchanges? Or like SDSL, restricted to more populated areas?

if it's available anywhere then it'd be nice if PlusNet offered it. 256k upload is really poor.
N/A

New packages?

LLU is very limited im afraid there are only a few ISPs that currently offer it and only one that has much prescence outside of london. Basically BT lets an isp install their own equipment in an exchange which then give the isp controll over every aspect of the DSL connection so they can provide anything that fits within the DSL and regualtion specs Smiley

as for 256k not being very much this is true, but bt dont think home users need more than this as home users download more then they upload. The limits of ADSL for upload are lower than people might expect due to the line having to be able to carry voice data as well. A SDSL line would have to be seperate and would be unable to carry voice data. Just one of the reasons why they would cost several hundred a month to run.

This is why at the moment isp's arnt looking at them for residential usage as only business's would be willing to pay that much for faster uploads.
N/A

New packages?

well for some strange reason i've still got two phone lines. Originally i got a second phone line for dial-up, at the time ADSL wasn't around my area and i wasn't expecting it any time soon.

Since then I've still got two phone lines, one of which i use my phone on, the other is strictly for ADSL. Naturally losing voice data on that line isn't any issue. Shame there's no such connection i can trade in my voice data for.

I've basically kept that second line because i can't be arsed paying the 65 quid to move it, although in the long term i'm saving money.