cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New limits hit a nerve.....

N/A

I'm on Broadband Premier Option 1, my billing date is the 3rd and my VMBU has been changed over today to the new version. I, like others, have also received the email stating I've gone over 8GB peak time and will encounter 'light restrictions' to my peak time connection should I breach the 10GB level.

From the links included in the email, am I right in thinking that my 2Mbps connection will be throttled to 256Kbps download once I hit 10GB? (it is currently up to 9.21GB).

I know this subject has been done to death but I'm suddenly feeling rather patronised and am starting to understand why there appears to be a mass exodus taking place.

I have no problem personally with Plusnet imposing limits on accounts. Bandwidth is clearly not a bottomless pit and unless and until BT's charging policy alters then I feel there is little option. How video on demand etc is supposed to work on the existing pricing structure baffles me, but that's another issue and not under Plusnet's control.

I also have no problem with traffic shaping in an effort to slice up the pie fairly amongst all users. There are obviously peak times and these need to be catered for.

What I DO feel irritated by is the way I am given a 15GB peak time monthly allocation and then have further restrictions imposed as to how I can use the final third of that allocation. I feel that I should be able to choose when I use that allocation, subject to whatever traffic shaping is currently in force. If I have the need to use up the 15GB in the first week of the month then I should be treated like the 49 year old that I am and be allowed to use it. If that means that I only have dribbling or even no peak time use for the rest of the month then so be it. It feels rather like my Easter egg consumption is being restricted for my own good because I'll make myself sick.

The problem with the 'light restriction' policy that has been adopted is that it bears no relation to the actual peak time usage which is going on at the time. So if my 'light restriction' (I personally don't call a 75% reduction 'light') comes into effect then it doesn't matter if the rest of the Plusnetters have gone off to the pub for the evening, I'll still be sitting at home with my 256Mbps speed to 'help me stay within my allowance' and to 'ensure that all customers receive the best possible quality of service'. But I thought that the purpose of traffic shaping was to ensure the quality of service? I think it would be more honest to state that there is actually a 10GB allowance and throttling comes in at that point.

So, the purpose of my post is just to point out to Plusnet how the implementation of their policy has managed to move a normally placid and silent member of their community into this diatribe. If I have misinterpreted any of the various bits of information and I have based all of this on a false premise, then I apologise whole-heartedly.

One final thing before I implode, having followed the link to the new VMBU tool, it took me some time to realise that I was actually looking at today's usage and this week's usage. Surely the default view should be this month's usage? Why would I care what I'd used today or even this week? There's no indication on the summary page of how much of my peak time allocation has been used. This has to be the most important figure to display when looking at the information.

Ok, got that off my chest! Sorry for the long post.
45 REPLIES
N/A

Hear, hear.

I think there are many PN customers that feel like you - I being one of them.

My solution - jump ship!

Bish

PS gotadsl, with your username, you'd feel very at home with nildram.

B
N/A

Only p2p/ftp and usenet would be throttled down to 256kbps. Although if you are one of the ones that uses encryption on p2p then a latge percentage wouldnt even be slowed!

Normal browsing would be down to 2Mb speeds and would only go as low as 512Mb unless you went over 30Gb in the month.

All restrictions again, would only apply at peak time and between midnight and 4pm would be as normal.
N/A

Re: New limits hit a nerve.....

there appears to be a mass exodus taking place.

Nah - it's just a tiny portion - of course it's only the vociferous ones who are happy to pop their heads out of the sand who you see here, on PUG or AG. The shy 95% will never be seen to post until something rocks their boat.

Same with newsgroups.. Could be 100,000 downloading (perhaps even reading!) the comments and never do they post until they personally feel there's a problem

What I DO feel irritated by is the way I am given a 15GB peak time monthly allocation

Think yourself lucky it is from 16:00 then ! You've just reminded me to request my MAC today, a little before billing date, so I can pay a fiver less in future months, get double the peak time allowance, and have that peak time counting for 6 hours not 16 (free migration and free first month too).

Of course I will hang about for the next 2-3 weeks to use up next month's traffic quota, since I'm paying for it and like my pound of flesh!
N/A

PS gotadsl, with your username, you'd feel very at home with nildram.

B

That's where I migrated from 3 years ago Wink

mourby, thanks for the info.
N/A

Oh no! Does that mean the grass is not greener........ :?

Bish
N/A

Surely the speed limiting is a good thing?

Its to stop you downloading too much and then having your connection dropped completly, because you went right over your limit, until the next billing date.

As bad as everyone says it is, I think its a good thing. Its here to stay and other ISP's are or will be utilising this technique whether you are told about it or not.
shellsong
Grafter

@bumzig

Nice speed-- shame about the usage limits! Speed limiting isn't so necessary if usage allowances are sufficient-- my ISP of choice puts a limit of about 15GB on accounts. That's 15GB PER DAY!

I can live with that! Cool
N/A

Oh no! Does that mean the grass is not greener........ :?

Bish

Well it was at the time!

I am still thinking of moving but the words 'frying pan' and 'fire' keep coming to mind.
N/A

@bumzig

Nice speed-- shame about the usage limits! Speed limiting isn't so necessary if usage allowances are sufficient-- my ISP of choice puts a limit of about 15GB on accounts. That's 15GB PER DAY!

But how many isp's offer no set limit off peak usage?
If you are willing to set a download manager schedules for larger files for off peak then plusnet is perfect!

I know alot of ppl have problems with that, but for me its perfect as my browsing speed is not affected by downloading large files.
N/A

Surely the speed limiting is a good thing?

As the opposite was the basis of my original post, I think I'm going to have to disagree on that one Wink

Its to stop you downloading too much and then having your connection dropped completly, because you went right over your limit, until the next billing date.

Yes, but I'd like to be treated like a grown up as I feel able to manage my own peak time quota, subject to the traffic shaping requirements. Otherwise the 15GB limit is really a 10GB limit.

In any event, the level of throttling makes no logical sense as it takes no account of where I am in my billing month. So, assuming I've just hit the magic 10GB barrier (which I still haven't...quite) and I've only got 4 days left in my billing month, then I am still going to be throttled back to 256Kbps during peak time as I would if I'd hit that level 4 days into my billing month.

You can tell I've just been watching 'Grumpy Old Men' on the telly Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

I've not been watching them-- I am one! Wink
willhome
Grafter

@bumzig

But how many isp's offer no set limit off peak usage?
If you are willing to set a download manager schedules for larger files for off peak then plusnet is perfect!

I know alot of ppl have problems with that, but for me its perfect as my browsing speed is not affected by downloading large files.

100% agree. i would consider myself heavy user with 40-50gb per month but only about 9.5-10.5peak time.

now with new account i got netlimiter and make it kill my p2p at peak hours. works fine for me. i will stilll hit over8 gb per month from ts/gaming and alot more my 4 computers do. but if i can manage it im sure everyone else can. just download off peak.... and its a bloody good offpeak at that only 8 hours of onpeak.. i love it
shellsong
Grafter

Quite frankly I consider that the way protocols such as usenet and P2P have had their ability to be used during the peak period squeezed down to 10-15GB per month over the past six months is an absolute disgrace!

I don't use these protocols much myself but I have observed with sympathy how usenet users who pay for external services have had the life throttled and capped out of their usage-- a mere eight months ago they were able to access their chosen media with only the constraints of contention, but no more!

My point that seems to have been missed by the control freaks is that some ISPs are showing that it is not necessary to take the PlusNet route of turning their customers into a sort of chain gang "for the good of all" and in fact PlusNet themselves used to be an ISP of similar ilk not too long ago!
N/A

now with new account i got netlimiter and make it kill my p2p at peak hours. works fine for me. i will stilll hit over8 gb per month from ts/gaming and alot more my 4 computers do. but if i can manage it im sure everyone else can.

Yes, but who is controlling netlimiter on your computer(s)? It's not Plusnet is it? So that's fine, but if you are on the final day of your billing month and you have only just hit your 10GB 'limit' (as opposed to the other 15GB 'limit') and there is some 'mission critical' file that you want to download that evening, then you are able to open up netlimiter to full speed. However, even though you've still got 5GB available usage available, for the next 8 hours Plusnet are going to limit you to 256Kbps whether there is any need for traffic shaping or not.