cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New limit on size of attachments

redbandit
Grafter

We now seem to have a very low attachment limit as a result of the move to Squirrel. This a change to the previous situation.

I agree with others about Squirrel being far better than @mail in every other respect, but an important, incoming 1Mb attachment has been blocked and this is a real pain. 1Mb is nothing these days. Can PN please review this new policy?

Thanks
Ronnie
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

We are aware of a problem sending attachments in webmail, you can monitor the progress of this here
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Err...

The P1 problem is Sending attachments using SquirrelMail.

The OP is complaining about receiving large attachments!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Shockedops:

Read the post wrong, sorry. I'll get this looked at for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Laugh
Grafter

OK - so there is a problem here but all the lights are green (except CGI).

Should we have a traffic light colour change somewhere?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just tested this and can receive attachments of 11Mb (the largest file I could find to send)

Can you try this again and see if you still have the same problem.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Purely by chance, I have just stumbled over: http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=archive&ispservice_id=&page=219

(Edit: Just in case anyone thinks this is the current policy, this announcement is from 2003)

Outbound Webmail Attachments - Limited to 20MB
Dear Customers,

Following extensive investigations into recent reports of slow responsiveness when using our portal webmail system, it has become apparent that part of the problem occurs as the result of the way the system handles email attachments. Shortly, we will be making changes to the webmail service to prevent the handling of outbound attachments larger than 20MB. As you may be already aware it is not possible for attachments larger than 100MB to be received via our service and this will not be changed on the webmail system.

We would further advise that if your webmail is running slowly this may be the result of large email attachments being stored in your mailbox. If this is the case we recommend you download and delete these attachments these using a normal mail client, details of how to configure common mail clients are available in the customer support section of our website.

We would like to re-iterate that this annoucement does not relate to our normal mail servers where limits were recently introduced to prevent the sending or receiving of email attachments over 100MB. Furthermore, It is our intention to introduce an entirely new webmail system in the future, however at the moment we are unable to provide an ETA for this development.

With Regards,

Customer Support
Laugh
Grafter

Blimey! :shock:

Well done jelv. You're a right little treasure hunter. Well found.
Community Veteran

Does not actually answer the OPs Q as the limit on incoming is still 100MB, the restriction detailed is for 20MB outbound.
Community Veteran

It wasn't intended to be an answer. There's a topic about old service status postings on TBB. By some amazing coincidence when I was looking to see how far back they went, that was at the top of the page!
Laugh
Grafter

I've just sent myself a 6MB mmv file and it came through fine and downloaded - and was viewable.

But you know what it's like with these squirrels......

They bury their nuts and then forget where they've put them Wink
redbandit
Grafter

Just asked my customer to resend the e-mail with the 1Mb attachment and it came through OK this time so may just have been a one-off problem.

For reference, if PN are interested, the id of the one that was blocked is:
Error: Zip.ExceededFileSize
Message Id: F5593ABD2AD2C7408D0A3EDCCB3D6DE827A1A5@PAISLEY.SBGRenfrewshire.local

Thanks for the info guys.
Community Veteran

I wonder if there is a Squirrel configuration option for this and if perhaps it's not the same on all the servers?
Community Veteran

For reference, if PN are interested, the id of the one that was blocked is:
Error: Zip.ExceededFileSize
Message Id: F5593ABD2AD2C7408D0A3EDCCB3D6DE827A1A5@PAISLEY.SBGRenfrewshire.local

Hmm, where did that error message come from? I have my suspcions, but I don't think that is Squirrelmail stopping that attachment.

Incidently, Jelv's Service Status post was from 2003.
redbandit
Grafter

I think you're right Colin. The words 'Zip.ExceededFileSize' caught my attention when I first got the e-mail from PN and that lead me to think the file size had been exceeded!

However, when I saw your post I re-read the full e-mail in detail and now realise it was PN's antivirus programme that sent it, so maybe not file size after all (despite the words 'ExceededFileSize'!)

Funny thing is though, when my client simply re-sent the exact same e-mail again it came through without any problem. Also, this file is e-mailed to me every day and it's never had a problem before.

Still, seems to be OK now.
Thanks.