cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New, improved webmail?

N/A

New, improved webmail?

No warning, no advance notice. I go into the portal to read my emails and am presented with the "new improved service". Well some of it is I am glad we now select our own fonts and send emails in proper html format BUT:
1. What happened to auto login?
2. What happened to my signature?
3. Why is it so slow?
4. Why does it have to open in a new window?
5. Why all these unnecessary folders? Surely ALL spam and trash should simply be deleted? Why does it need to go into a special folder.

I am a happy F9 user and have always found the help engineers patient and intelligent, so please to not put me in the "moaners" category. I simply find the new improved system unwieldly and over endowed with features we don't want.

Please can we go back to the very simple system and instead could f9 experts direct their attention to keeping out the spammers and viruses? Yes I know we can buy into this - but I already have a firewall and my own on board anti-virus software, all I need is the spam and viruses stopped at source.

Please accept this as constructive criticism - most of the time everything works fine
Gina dee
18 REPLIES
N/A

New Web Based email system

Hello,

I think the new web-based email system is a HUGE step forwards!! WELL DONE FORCE9 BRILLIANT This gives me several options I never had before which I can see might be extremely useful in future. The core email service HASNT changed at all which is fundamentaly important, its still pop3 and SMTP phew!!!

**The above comments in this thread just goes to prove you cannot keep ALL the punters happy all of the time. Whilst some users are contented others are not happy bunnies at all, Oh! dear sounds like real life to me??

Cool
N/A

agreed it's poor

Tab order is dodgy - you put your user name and password in - tab and click return and you get sent to some random screen - surely the next tab should be the login button.

As you say it's slow - to the point of not working ! I use it to access mail at work and guess what - no joy.

Also there are more programs out there that stop pop ups - so what do they do - have my mail in a pop up window ! And why do I have to login to say I am a member and then login to my mail ?

Er ... and what about consistent stylesheets - who decided mail should be pink with a hint of summer meadows Smiley
N/A

Slow

My webmail is also painfully slow, although i do like the new format,.

But again why do i have to login to message centre and then login again into webmail (didn't before)..
N/A

Re: New, improved webmail?

Why all these unnecessary folders? Surely ALL spam and trash should simply be deleted? Why does it need to go into a special folder.

I disagree; Spam should NOT be automatically deleted - Spam filters can incorrectly identify letimate mail as Spam, which would then be deleted.
N/A

Re: Slow

But again why do i have to login to message centre and then login again into webmail (didn't before)..
This is something I've also complained about, it is very annoying.
jberry
Grafter

New, improved webmail?

Hi there,

The main reason that the old webmail was removed was because the code was over 5 years old and was simply not scalable for us as a company going forward. As it stood, the webmail system used roughly 70% of the capacity of the portal servers (and there are now 13 of these, all high spec server machines) and at our current rate of growth as a company this was not workable.

The other problem with the age of the code was that we could not "fix" it - so we had the choice of either writing a new system from scratch (which seems a little pointless as there are loads of webmail systems available) or purchasing one - and we selected @mail after an extensive internal selection process based on support, scalability, cost, features and other factors.

The testing process took several months and although we have some teething problems these are being resolved as fast as possible. The feedback we have received is also positive in the main - as soon as you are used to the new system you will see it is a definate improvment.

Regards,
N/A

New, improved webmail?

There is a problem with the new code in that the "delete" icon on the main page doesn't work with Mozilla Firefox on Linux. At least, that's the platform I'm testing on. Clicking "delete" whilst viewing the mail brings up a javascript confirmation dialog, but it's irritating to have to view each mail to delete it, especially when several are easily identified as spam from the subject lines and should be able to be deleted with one click from the folder view.

Cheers,

Tony
N/A

New, improved webmail?

New webmail looks sweet but can I plead for speed? When you're accessing email via a damp bit of string in some far off jungle the last thing you want on top of dodgy comms is slow servers!
N/A

New, improved webmail?

I agree the User Interface is much improved over the old system.

BUT the new system is just way too slow!

I get a lot of a cases where I click to read something and I then get a long wait and then and error the server responds -1 (timeout?)
N/A

New, improved webmail?

Why does the new mail system not offer the chance to remember your prefered viewer, current the default is IE6 but I prefer the simple viewer and have to change it every time? That would be nicer stored in your user preferences/email settings and if you need to change it then go there?

Secondly, with the old mail, I could log in once and then go and view a USENET newsgroup via a toolbar link, now I have to login yet again. A step backwards there!

Regards,
Mark
N/A

New, improved webmail?

I agree with most of the comments above, the features of the new email system are very worthwhile even with the odd niggle.

However the speed is simply terrible. Any time of the day or night it takes minutes to load and read a mail even on a 2Mb line. No word yet on whether F9 are doing anything about it (presumably not).
Marteknet
Grafter

need for speed

If its speed you are after then why not use MailWasher (it's free) and Outlook express.

I just got back from a short break and de-spammed my email, all 370 plus of them in a few moments. MailWasher is well worth looking at it as it has configurable spam filters and a simple be effective display screen. You will be able to quickly scan the sender, subject and the to email address. Spam rules can include to address, from address, subject, keywords and much more.

It reads only the headers from your popmail account (very quickly). you then scan the display and if you are happy with the settings click the process button. it then deletes the spam directly from the mail server and then opens outlook express where you receive your spam free emails.

before you ask am I getting commission on this the answer is no. :-).

Its a great tool and well worth the price :-) (free).

I hope this is of some help to you.
N/A

Re: need for speed

If its speed you are after then why not use MailWasher (it's free) and Outlook express

Because the whole point of webmail is that you can use it on computers other than your own, where you don't have your own mail software (and wouldn't want your post left for the next user to read). Besides, anyone who uses Outlook Express is asking for what they get in my opinion. And yes, MailWasher is good, but it would be better if Force9 offered spam filtering as standard to all their broadband users, to reduce the amount one needs to go through.

As other users have pointed out, the new 'improved' system is appallingly slow even on a fast connection. It certainly makes it mostly unusable for me at work, which is when I need it.

morxa
Marteknet
Grafter

mmm

Yes for those without a laptop webmail is very handy. sorry its been so long i forgot about that. good point i stand corrected.

What is wrong with Outlook express ?. it works for me just fine.