cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fault checker faulty!

N/A

:? I had to use the new fault checker today - it said there were no external faults and sent me off down a long wizard even though a simple tracert told me there was a problem at plusnet!

After telling the wizard that i had replaced my hardware - rewired my house and stood on one leg whilst trying to re-enact the can can i finally got to start the 2 hour checker which subsequently reported there was a 'system fault'.

By this time i had learned from another source that my exchange was down, the problem was then fixed and I have been surfing happily!

Don't forget that among the muppets there are people who can help you to solve problems by using simple commands such as tracert and ping!
!GIVE THE TECHIES A BREAK!
6 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

The initials checks are designed to do a few things, but are not a comprehensive list of checks.

These tasks include to verify that an ADSL service exists on your number, that there are no current major service outages marked as causing problems on your line, that there is no open PSTN fault (A BT fault raise via bt.com or 150) and also verifies that the needed records exists to allow you to login.

These basic checks are things that signify a problem with the service, but are not actualy faults.

Once this check is done, a series of questions are asked, in order to conduct the right set of tests and provide you with the right set of answers based on your line circumstances, the fault type and action you have done in the last few days.

Once this information is entered, two automated tests are performed, to determine if a fault condition exists. The reason for two tests is that these tests alone can often fix a problem on the line, so the second test verifies the first tests findings.

These tests take place over a 4 hour period. When submitting a fault to us originaly, we could often see delays of 4 days or upwards to perform the tests manualy.

The original questions used for faults are also rather hard to read when in a ticket.

In all, the new system is quicker, simpler and by far easier to manage faults with. It allows the user to feel empowered.

There are indeed flaws in the system, which can only be addressed as when when they arrise.

We don't pretent this is the system for every circumstance, but for many it can and will be the best place to turn during a problem.

Kind regards,
shellsong
Grafter

I have been experiencing very infrequent disconnections which leave the router synched and still connected to irssi but unable to connect via PlusNet's DNS, although I can still ping the primary and secondary.
The only way to get things running properly again is to reboot the router.
Would there be any mileage in running the Fault Tester after the reboot or would it be a waste of time do you think?
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

It would unlikely help you with your problems.

Bassed on your description, it sounds like you remain connected, but just that no new connections to sites or servers can be made. Is this correct?

If so, this does sound like a router related problem, but without further tests, it couldn't be concluded either way.

Fo you have any alternate hardware you can try, or can you beg/borrow some for a short period, in order to rule this out?

Kind Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

It's a pretty new ZoomVOIP router and similar things had been happening with the previous router, which was part of the reason for getting the new one!
Mind you I've been meaning to get the latest firmware upgrade but haven't got round to it yet, although Zoom reckoned that it wasn't a problem they'd had reported before.
(The previous router was an Ebuyer thing with a Connexant chipset and slightly suspect firmware)
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

If you have received near same problems with a previous modem, we can almost rule that out as the problem.

With regards to your computer setup, have you reinstalled at any point and confirmed it is not the PC at fault?

Do you have multiple systems that show the same problem?

Kind Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Three or four systems usually running some pretty stable version of linux or other-- and, yes, it affects all!
The router also passes its own diagnostic tests with flying colours and shows no untoward event in its log
(edit) I'm afraid this has drifted somewhat away from topic! Shockedops: