cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New broadband options and the sustainable useage policy

N/A

Hi All,

Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere here already but I'm slightly confused by these new broadband products that have been announced. I've been reading both the Issue 3 of the PlusNet newsletter and the webpage referring to the new products and both of these state that there are NO RESTRICTIONS outside of the peak times of 4pm to midnight.

Link

Quote from the 3rd issue newletter:
Option 1 includes a massive 15GB of usage at peak times (4pm – midnight) and no usage limits during off-peak hours.

Does this mean that they have removed the monthly sustainable use policy for all times except for peak? ie. If I want to use P2P can I download an UNLIMITED amount during the month btween midnight and 4pm as long as I don't download anything during peak time? That's what the website is indicating to me but I'm sure there's going to be hidden clauses in there somewhere as the website fails to mention anything is regards to the SUP.

Any clarification would be appreciated Smiley

Cheers.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Shortened url as it was stretching the page]
26 REPLIES
N/A

If only Wink

PN reps have indicated that '100gb total usage would be about right as our wholesale costs haven't decreased' - i.e. there is no figure, but, if you use more than 100gb expect PN to come down on you like a ton of bricks.
N/A

And you can bet the speeds will go thorugh the floor for P2P, Usenet etc.. Cry
N/A

Hi all,

In response to stewart25, if I were to use more than 100Gb in one billing month (I'm on the 2Mb premier package) why would should I expect PN to come down on me like a ton of bricks?

No where does it say from the April product refresh post and the latest email sent to Plusnet Customers, that customers currently on the 2Mb premier package will be penalised for going over 100Gb, or have I misread/misunderstood something?

Thanks
N/A

hughesredhead,

Welcome to the forums. Although it has not been specifically stated or mentioned you may have noticed the words "No set limit" being used and not "No limit" or "unlimited". This would pretty much allow Plusnet to apply move and enforce a mythical restriction however they please.

On the other hand we were told that 100GB would be a safe ball point figure to play with when it comes to off peak and we shouldnt go far wrong if we go with this figure.

Regards,
Ianwild
Grafter

Just to clarify - We won't be "Coming down like a ton of bricks" on anyone for off-peak usage.

The 100GB figure has come about because we don't want people to think that the product is designed for Unlimited usage. It isn't, so we want to make it clear that someone who wanted to download say 200GB a month overnight on a £21.99 product isn't a customer we would want to attract to our service.

That said, off-peak usage isn't monitored or counted towards any limit in the new product design, and that genuinelly does mean people can download what they want (And if the network is loaded, their fair share of what is available) without having to think about how much data transfer that equates to.

I appreciate it is not the easiest message for us to have, but the idea behind it is focussed on giving all of our customers the most we possibly can. We are about being the best value and where we don't need to have a limit, we don't have one!

Regards,

Ian Wild
N/A

To tomspcs and ianwild,

Thanks for your replies.
I am clearer on what Plusnet are trying to do.
However, I am not clear on what would happen if I was to say download 200Gb in one month? Would anything happen? Would I have to download heavily consistently before I was contacted?

Maybe its just me, but where possible I like to know clearly what 'I can and cant do', and what the repercussions are if I don't adhere. Its not that I am going try and go out of my way to reach the limit of Plusnets usages. Just having a guideline enables one to prioritise his/her downloads.

The current 2mb Premier package clearly states the boundaries of what one can do during the month and what will happen if usages are exceeded. The new product refresh partly does the same, but does not for every element of the package. I.e. for the peak time usage.

Im sure there are others out there who want a more defined limit and an explanation of the implications if usage is exceeded as the service is not "unlimited".

Apologises for any the questions that have been asked and answered before.

Thanks
Community Veteran

hughesredhead,
Although it has not been specifically stated or mentioned you may have noticed the words "No set limit" being used and not "No limit" or "unlimited". This would pretty much allow Plusnet to apply move and enforce ....

In a legal sense, there is no difference between the terms "No set limit" or "No limit". The term "unlimited" has a very specific meaning.

PN really must provide a specific statement otherwise the law will fall in favour of the consumer if this ever came a court case where this would matter.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Ianwild
Grafter

Maybe its just me, but where possible I like to know clearly what 'I can and cant do', and what the repercussions are if I don't adhere. Its not that I am going try and go out of my way to reach the limit of Plusnets usages. Just having a guideline enables one to prioritise his/her downloads.

Which we understand, and is why the 100GB Off-peak guideline figure got suggested. If you are more confortable in thinking of that as a figure, then we are happy for you to stick to that - We are pleased if you wish to be our customer on that basis!

What happens to your account if you exceed that number?
Answer: Nothing.

The point is, in an 8Mb world, one person could potentially download an awful lot of data in a month of overnight leeching sessions. If only one person wants to do that, then we would easily have the capacity to cope. If 100,000 people want to do that, then it becomes impossible for any ISP to provide enough capacity and EVERYONE will see that they can't get their full line speed. That situation would also cripple some ISPs networks, and all customers could suffer packet loss and poor connection quality.

Our technology investments and development of this strategy mean we can ensure that under these same circumstances everyone can recieve just their fair share of the network resources available. At the same time, the whole network can remain responsibe for browsing, gaming etc. And while that is happening off-peak, the actual amount that an individual is downloading is effectively a non issue for us*.

I hope that helps to provide some clarty on our thinking here - We are out to deliver a service that people realise is fair, realistic and honest... There isn't any spin going on here - We just don't see why we should impose any uneccessary limits on customers...

Regards,

Ian

* The small-print of course is that if someone is deliberatly using encryption techniques, tunneling, or another way to try and cheat the management technology, we are going to reserve the right to give them 30 days notice and ask them to leave our service, because that behaviour is not fair on all of our other customers.
aeroalfie
Grafter

200gb :shock: thats a lot of erm.... linux distro's :twisted: :lol:
N/A

Thanks for that reply Ian, its appreciated!

Luke
Community Veteran

Not sure I am too happy, as during peak times, if I listened to streaming radio for 8 hours per day, I am figuring I could be using 240MB/day (assuming low quality 64kb/s). This gets to 7.2GB (30days/month), for doing nothing but listening to the radio.

Have I got these number right? And this would be mostly at peak times.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Thanks for the information Ian. That has answered my question.
N/A

* The small-print of course is that if someone is deliberatly using encryption techniques, tunneling, or another way to try and cheat the management technology, we are going to reserve the right to give them 30 days notice and ask them to leave our service, because that behaviour is not fair on all of our other customers.

:shock: I know about the deliberate evasion by means of VPN and SSH but surely encrypting P2P or FTP by normal means ( such as what the FTP server or the P2P application allows or has built in ) is acceptable.

Regards,
ceridwen
Grafter

I think the crucial point is that encryption is being use to cheat the management software rather than that encryption is being used.

However, accept in extreme cases (e.g. someone downloading 200GB via sftp at peak time) where you'll probably hit SUP or other limits anyway, it will be difficult to prove that the primary intent behind using encryption was to cheat the management software (as opposed to privacy etc.)

Matthew