cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New bandwidth usage policy? 8am - midnight now?

trescodrucey
Grafter

I've just noticed this - why weren't we informed of this? I have had no emails informing me of this? So people i've referred to this site, telling them the old policy of less than 30gb between 4 and midnight.. they're on the management thing now.

So now you can use 30gb per month between 8am - midnight - funnily enough, the times i'm awake.

Can plus.net change their T&Cs without informing their customers? Really not happy, i'd appreciate some answers.

Shame to see plus.net have so many bad reviews now, i was always a huge supporter... Sad
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You are confusing the two systems in place related to premier products:

There are now 2 systems related to your usage which is dependant on the type of usage you have.

The SUP (sustainable Usage Policy) peak time (4pm -> midnight) figure is still 30GB and 100GB off-peak for premier up to 2Mbs. This is described here. If you exceed either SUP figure 3 times in 6 months your connection is permanently speed restricted as the link indicates.

The is now an additional figure for P2P/UseNet/FTP peak time (8am -> midnight) that is 20GB after which your connection speed is reduced for that type of traffic only. This is explained here.

Any traffic counted in the 2nd also counts in the first.

At the moment. each system has a different peak period but these will soon be the same 4pm -> midnight once the P2P/Usenet/FTP system is fully automated.

This is not a change of T&C but a clarification of the AUP (acceptable Usage Policy) within the T&C and thus there was no requirement to inform anyone.

Announcements were made in this forum and you can get those emailed to you via the service status by email feature on the usertools website.
N/A

But surely that then requires the user to have played some part in finding out this information, rather than just being told about it as would have been nice.
N/A

It doesn affect most users so theres no point in telling them. If they did. then support would be mobbed with calls which is bad.
trescodrucey
Grafter

Any chance in the AUP is a change in the Ts and Cs.

You should have contacted your members to inform them of this, you can't expect people to go and check every day in case something has changed?
JonathanW
Grafter

As already mentioned above, this was a clarification of the AUP rather than a change. As the AUP already allows us to manage the network in order to prevent individuals from having an adverse effect.
trescodrucey
Grafter

So you could change the AUP to 1gb a month, and not give your members any notice?

That's rubbish. That really is. I need to find a way to get off this sinking ship, and really won't be recommending it to the dozens i do already.
JonathanW
Grafter

This isn't a change. An actual change would require that everyone be contacted. A clarification, such as this one, doesn't require that.

Additionally, this clarification is going to benefit the vast majority of our customers. If you're being adversley affected by it, then you might wish to look at schedualing some of your larger downloads for the off peak period.
trescodrucey
Grafter

what defines a clarification rather than a change?
N/A

Additionally, this clarification is going to benefit the vast majority of our customers. .

Perhaps worthwhile telling everyone then
braindead
Dabbler

This has just tipped me over the edge, I've been a supporter of PlusNet, but I will be leaving as soon as my contract is up - 20gb 8am to midnight is ridiculous, it equates to an upload / download of about 350mb per day. I don't do that every day but I don't want to worry that I'll go over the limit, which I am now. At least my Year's up on 9th March.
trescodrucey
Grafter

i really need to find when my contract is up. i can't wait.

better yet, i wonder if i could find something in the contract/t&cs about this CHANGE in the UAP and how it alters the contract?
___oDiN__
Grafter

your join date is may so id say may 2006 if u are on a years contract
trescodrucey
Grafter

Thanks chap, didn't see that!

T minus 5 months..
N/A

I always find it interesting when companies come up with slogans like Fair and Acceptable Usage Policies where it never occurs to them that if the customer doesnt think the policy is 'acceptable' all theyve come up with is a restrictive operational change with an especially irritating name.

This doesnt affect me much, like the other changes but what does bother me is how many times and how far the goalposts have moved since I first signed on for my 'unlimited' broadband supply.