cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VMBU causing Level 2 Management

N/A

Basically, the old and new VMBU stats (when we were able to look at the old VMBU 2 days ago) differ on my account by over 4GB - which is a HUGE amount, particulary as on BB+ this has pushed me into Level 2 Management. Plus.net don't seem to know what's going on - my total usage on old stats showed 2.89GB while on new VMBU showed 7.02GB. Ticket 19563295 ongoing:

6:43pm, Wednesday 7th June 2006
There seems to be quite a lot of difference between the old and new VMBU stats. For example, this month the new stats on my account show (as of this morning) a total of 7.02GB which includes 3.85GB peak - yet the old stats show a total of 2.89GB which includes 2.55GB peak (the old stats have peak being twice as long, i.e. 8:00-midnight not 16:00-midnight).

I shall attach 2 screenshots to this ticket showing the huge difference.

What's going on?

Files Attached:
Old VMBU stats
New VMBU stats
3:19pm, Thursday 8th June 2006
Dear Mr Nicholls,
I beleive a problem has been raised internally to deal with this issue - The summary totals are currently displaying incorrectly.

The daily totals however should be correct, and reflect your current usage accurately.

Regards,
Agents Name

3:27pm, Thursday 8th June 2006
So you're saying that plus.net isn't sure what the correct usage is at the moment then. In that case, please take me off "Level 2 Management" as the old style stats clearly show that total usage is below 3GB (that is until they were taken offline this morning, so customers can't compare such enormous conflicts of information).

11:41am, Friday 9th June 2006
Dear Mr Nicholls,
As my collegue stated we are currently investigating a problem with the vmbu, however your usage is correct overall, we are unable to bring you of level 2 management until your next billing date.
Regards,
Agents Name

11:46am, Friday 9th June 2006
Even though on the screenshots I included, the old VMBU system showed an overall usage of 2.89GB? Be honest - you don't actually know if the usage was 2.89GB or 7.02GB at the time the screenshots were taken, do you?

That is over 4GB difference - at least one of your VMBU systems is wrong, and indeed possibly way way off. Can you explain to me this difference of over 4GB then?

How can plus.net rely on these VMBU stats, particularly while there in an internal issue raised, by pushing people onto the controversial strict "management" - especially when management comes in at such a low level now (3GB on BB+).

The old VMBU showed I was under the limits (the system relied on for so long until recently), yet the recently introduced VMBU shows I'm on 3.85GB peak (as of Wednesday morning) - which is above the total amount shown on old VMBU of 2.89GB (with 2.55GB peak - this peak being twice as long as new VMBU peak).
4 REPLIES
N/A

Further addition to above:
12:32pm, Friday 9th June 2006
Dear Mr Nicholls,
the old VMBU will be incorrect as it is no longer used actively to monitor usage. the old VMBU has now been decommision and has not been reporting your usage correctly since you were change over to the new VMBU

Regards,
Agents Name

12:35pm, Friday 9th June 2006
What you have said contradicts with what Mand Beckett said on the forum just over an hour ago - http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=325440#325440

The part of what Mand said that I'm referring to is:
Regarding discrepancies between old and new VMBU, this is expected as they collect stats from different points, in addition old VMBU will represent peak entirely differently from the new VMBU.

The CSC Agent said the old VMBU is no longer used actively to monitor usage, yet what Mand has said implies that it is and can be used - however with stats coming from a different place, whatever that might mean.

It's not exactly keeping the goalposts in the same place if the acceptable peak usage first decreases, followed by a "new way" of doing the stats is it?
N/A

Changing the goalposts...

It seems I'm getting much quicker replies to this ticket since I posted it online. Another just recently happened:
1:06pm, Friday 9th June 2006
Dear Mr Nicholls,
When Mandy stated "Regarding discrepancies between old and new VMBU, this is expected as they collect stats from different points, in addition old VMBU will represent peak entirely differently from the new VMBU.", This is what Agents Name is trying to get across but in different terminology. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Agents Name

1:11pm, Friday 9th June 2006
"Collecting stats from different points" isn't exactly keeping things fair is it - first the peak usage is decreased, followed up by a "different way of doing the stats".

1) Do you agree that changing the goalposts is not fair, as pointed out?

2) What is bandwith usage in the context of
a) the old VMBU; and
b) the new VMBU?

If only ticket replies happened this quick normally, without also going via the forum.

At the moment it seems that the old and new VMBU stats are counting completely different things, and it hasn't been explained how plus.net come up the different stats, as in the context of them. Over 4GB is a huge difference for a "different way of doing stats" - and the new stats system came on the back of a reduction in peak usage.

So it seems that our possible usage has first been reduced by a reduction in peak allowances and secondly reduced by a different way of doing stats.
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys

I realise my explanation of this has caused more confusion, which was obviously not the intention. Dave has already explained this here:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41953&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
N/A

What Dave has said on that forum post implies that the new VMBU system should show less traffic than the old, as it doesn't include certain things, when the old VMBU system made a count of all the traffic that passes across the line.
There will always be a percentage point or 3 difference because the data is measured at 2 different points. Old VMBU is based on the CBC data from BT and will make a count of all the traffic that passes across your line (so will include data passed just between you and BT such as LCP traffic and a certain amount of ATM overhead) and also any data used logging into the BT speedtest or any other BT test login.

New VMBU measures data on the Ellacoyas so won't include data that passes across your line that doesn't reach the Ellacoyas such as that above.

1) Why would there be over 4GB more traffic being shown on the new VMBU stats than the old VMBU? It seems quite a lot - not just a percentage point or 3 as suggested by Dave.

2) It does seem the goalposts have been changed by plus.net in an unfair way, based on stats I have seen - first the peak usage was decreased by a considerable amount, which was followed by a different way of doing stats that in my case has resulted in a huge difference, pushing me into Level 2 Management - something the old VMBU wouldn't have caused. Please comment on this, including which VMBU system can be trusted, and why is/has the other one being/been used?