cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Usage Tool - when exactly?

Sandro
Grafter

Having no a working tool for assessing our peak and off-peak usage, I would really like to know WHEN exactly this tool would be available?
I wonder if anybody could elucidate the mystery?

The coined phrase like "our engineers are currently working on it" doesn't tell me anything.. : Shockedops:
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How long is your piece of string... Smiley

Basically it will be ready when it's ready. i.e. as soon as the developers are happy for it to be released it will be. What timescales they are working to is unlikely to be published to stop people complaning when there is a delay and it's not released when they stated it would be.

I would hope something would be made available within a month but the VMU is very complex so could take longer.
channel
Grafter

Peter,

Is there any chance you could highlight what it is that makes it so complicated? It seems all the data is there, produced by the e-coli equipment. So it would require an SQL database to look up the data. Quite a large one. But then, on top of that ....... ? I don't understand how it could be so difficult.
N/A

How do Plusnet know if someone has breached the 'peak hours' cap, if they cannot let individuals check for themselves?

Where do they get the data fromHuh?
Community Veteran

Exactly the point that many others are asking.

Also seeing as they are informing individuals that have broken these limits up to a couple of months ago, it would also seem to suggest that the ability to determine peak hours usage has been available to PN for quite some time.

One would hope that the tool has been in development since they had this ability, therefore is it safe to assume this has already been in development for a couple of months?
N/A

Exactly the point that many others are asking.

Also seeing as they are informing individuals that have broken these limits up to a couple of months ago, it would also seem to suggest that the ability to determine peak hours usage has been available to PN for quite some time.

One would hope that the tool has been in development since they had this ability, therefore is it safe to assume this has already been in development for a couple of months?

This is why I left wanadoo after recieving snotty letters saying I'd exceeded my cap, but no online tools to let me monitor usage. This I told them by letter, e-mail and phone call to wanadoo with no reason/reply. In average I was only exceeding my cap by 2gig over a three month period.
Community Veteran

The data does not come from the ellacoya but from BT, for every ADSL connection, approx every 2 hours in raw forum. This raw usage data has to be processed and added up to give your current totals.

Changes to the VMB are complicated by the fact that this data now has to be processed in a different way to extract the peak and off-peak figures and the VMU page changed to show the new data. There are also 100s of different product types (due to all the product changes that have occured since plusnet started) that the code has to cater for which adds to the complication of showing the usage correctly for each product.

It is not just a simple case of changing the processing code to split peak/off-peak data and showing it. It has to allow for PAYG, dialup, if you have exceeded 100GB/150GB/200GB (depending on product) , if you have exceeded 30GB peak/45GB peak, 60GB peak (depending on product), if you have exceeded your PAYG allowances, if you have reached the PAYG maximum payment (which then takes you off to another page to indicate you have to change your limit), if you have reached your PAYG pre-pay limit, if you are on BB+ (which the limits may not apply to) and 10s of other differences.

Due to the range of product differences, the amount of testing involved just for a simple one line code change (which thjis is not by the way) is large because test data has to be generated for many different product types and schenarios.

Finally, if they had already developed this change, do you think they would have already released it. Like many changes recently, this was a decision made very recently and not several months ago which did not give the developers time to do the work on the VMU.

When this was all discussed in PUG (and we only heard about it approx 1 week before it was implemented) we made it clear that there should be a way to monitor your peak/off peak usage and it should not be implemented until that is available, but PN made the decision to release it when they did without any monitoring method.
N/A

Just another way of saying we know, but we will not let you check yourselves!
LiamM
Grafter

Stew indicated it's likely to be at least two months.
N/A

Not that I expect to be one myself.

This means people are likely to fall foul of the cap for at least two months and have no way of knowing they are doing it, and Plusnet will continue restricting the service to these accounts.
LiamM
Grafter

You can download a bandwidth monitor to your PC?

It has been argued that it's up to you to keep an eye on your bandwidth. Much like if your speeding down a road without a speedometer.
N/A

It is obviously not worth continuing this one sided discussion where Plusnet are right, and everyone else is wrong.

Bye.
N/A

"You can download a bandwidth monitor to your PC? "

I have one - BMextreme. It doesn't tell me what my *peak* usage is.
There is also the popular DUmeter. It doesn't tell you what your *peak* usage is.
I do not wish to bore you by repeating all the details of what I have already said in another thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
but I find the idea that an ISP can enforce a *peak* limit *before* they provide the facility for customers to monitor their peak usage unacceptable.

Just the latest in a long line of basically reasonable limitations that PlusNet seem to be incapable of thinking through properly, thus putting people's backs up unnecessarily - including mine, so I will be going.
N/A

Thanks for that. I did already know that monitors are available, and I have them, but I have no knowledge of one that reports "peak" usage either.
LiamM
Grafter

I havent said I agree. I have simply stated an argument that Plusnet have.

I too agree that we need an updated VMU, and I personally wouldn't have rolled out the SUP until it was available.