cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SQL Launch

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New SQL Launch

Also, we would like to remind all customers of the service again, that we are moving from MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1, and as such, there may be some compatibility issues for some users, and we urge you to thoroughly check whether you need to make modifications to your SQL, or even your databases in order to receive a seamless transition between servers.

How?

I have two phpBB forums running - a live one and a duplicate (with it's own set of tables) which I use for testing MODS etc. I would quite happily start testing this today against the new database server.

Is the new server(s) in such a state that we could start testing against it now by specifying the new IP or server names?

If this is possible could we switch over to the new servers for live databases prior to 8th March?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

New SQL Launch

AFAIK PhpBB won't be affected in anyway, it works on all MySQL 4.1 as it does 4.0
N/A

New SQL Launch

I thought it had already been implemented because the interface on php administration has changed.

MySQL shows the following:

MySQL 4.0.18-log running on humbug as theatticxxxxxxxxxxx

Which one am I on MySQL 4.0 or MySQL 4.1?
Community Veteran

New SQL Launch

I think phpmyadmin was upgraded last week but AFAIK everyone is still on 4.0
Community Veteran

New SQL Launch

AFAIK PhpBB won't be affected in anyway, it works on all MySQL 4.1 as it does 4.0

Vanilla phpBB will be OK - but what about testing MODS?

I have also other applications (Mantis for one) that I would like to check out.
N/A

New SQL Launch

When is the change over due to take place?

If the last time is anything to go by then I'm going to get hosting from another company before it happens!

Edit: Maintenance Window: - 07:00 8th March 2006 - just checked.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: New SQL Launch

How?

I have two phpBB forums running - a live one and a duplicate (with it's own set of tables) which I use for testing MODS etc. I would quite happily start testing this today against the new database server.

I would suggest the best thing is to contact the authors of any scripts you use to see if there are any known problems changing to 4.1. phpBB though should be perfectly fine.

Not sure if it can be used early, will check up on that.
Community Veteran

Re: New SQL Launch

I would suggest the best thing is to contact the authors of any scripts you use to see if there are any known problems changing to 4.1. phpBB though should be perfectly fine.

I've done what you suggested:
Dear John,
You know that customised script you wrote - can you tell me if it works with mySQL 4.1?

John

John

I'm sorry I can't answer that - I haven't tested it under 4.1 as I don't currently have access to a 4.1 server as PN haven't made one available for testing.

John

That didn't get me far - next suggestion please.
N/A

New SQL Launch

It should be fine. Its quite unlikely that it wont work.
Community Veteran

New SQL Launch

Jelv is not just talking about phpBB. It is a general concern that it is not possible to test the scripts that people have on the new MySQL servers. Many will have been modified by various people along the way and in a lot of cases you can't contact the original authors so the only way you will find out is March 8th which gives you 0 time to correct any issues or find alternative scripts that will work.

With the ccgi, it was run in paralell for a while to allow testing to occur. This should also be done for the MySQL servers and I don't see why it can't be if the databases will be replicated between the systems or at least have some sort of Beta testing done.
Community Veteran

New SQL Launch

I gather not even PUG members have been given the opportunity to Beta test the new servers.

Given PN's recent history, how confident are we all that the changeover will go smoothly?
N/A

New SQL Launch

Given PN's recent history, how confident are we all that the changeover will go smoothly?

I can't say I'm confident that the changeover will go any smoother than the other changeovers that PlusNet have attempted recently.
N/A

New SQL Launch

Jelv is not just talking about phpBB. It is a general concern that it is not possible to test the scripts that people have on the new MySQL servers. Many will have been modified by various people along the way and in a lot of cases you can't contact the original authors so the only way you will find out is March 8th which gives you 0 time to correct any issues or find alternative scripts that will work.

With the ccgi, it was run in paralell for a while to allow testing to occur. This should also be done for the MySQL servers and I don't see why it can't be if the databases will be replicated between the systems or at least have some sort of Beta testing done.

Well, the ccgi platform was infinately more complex than a pair of SQL servers; whats more, it was entirely replaced, from scratch.

The SQL upgrade is primarilly just that, a (relatively) simple upgrade between 4.0 and 4.1 - OK, so it's being put on some new hardware at the same time, bit thats only because the existing hardware has issues.

There is a perfectly good set of documentation on the MySQL website which outlines compatibility issue, so it'll be trivial for anyone who has SQL or scripts with SQL in to determine whether how they have set up their databases, or using SQL will cause a problem or not.

Also, what isn't clear from the posting is that I've been replicating between the new platforms for a while now, and I've already identified the types of usage which may cause a problem, along with who has been using it in this way. 15 users have been specifically emailled alerting them explicitly to the issue. So, as a general rule, if you have an active database, which has updated data in it's normal way recently, and you haven't had an email to you at your registered contact mailbox, then you can be _fairly_ sure the changeover won't affect you.
N/A

New SQL Launch

I gather not even PUG members have been given the opportunity to Beta test the new servers.

Actually, the PUG, along with volunteer staff, had an opporunity to test the new platform a couple of months ago in order to identify any major compatibility issues.

I am confident the changeover will be smooth, with the only "issue" being speed of DNS updates; and it's for that reason that I will continue to replicate from the old system for a while, so that anyone with old DNS data will still have their changes added to the new platform.
N/A

New SQL Launch

Gary because of your past history, I just can't be optimistic about your posting. I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong.