cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SPAM Email filter

grimreality
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Does anyone know if the new spam email filter being brought in by Plus.net will affect your account if you are on a legacy account or cost anything extra.
10 REPLIES
N/A

New SPAM Email filter

PlusNet have said it will be available free on all account types.

If you don't want the updated SPAM protection on your account then you'll need to opt out via the tool in the Member Centre.
grimreality
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Where in typing has Plus.net stated that it will be free and available on all types of accounts. And what I need to know is that if I accept it, it will not count as acceptance to change my account thus putting me on BBYW.
holdtight
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

It was stated in an email sent to all customers although some may not have recieved it as yet
so here it is in full and no it wont effect the package your on at all or cost you anything extra

email security improvements

Dear xxxxxx

Due to the recent issues with Webmail security and the subsequent increase in unwanted spam emails to customers, we will soon be making improved spam tools available free of charge to all of our customers.

Our Spam Protection filters currently work by detecting any unwanted spam email sent to your email address and adding a tag to the subject line, allowing you to quickly identify it as spam and delete or filter it accordingly.

From Thursday 24th May we will be making our Spam Protection service available to all customers, so even those who haven't been able to take advantage of the service up until now will be able to benefit from reduced levels of unsolicited and nuisance email.

For those already using our Spam Protection filter, next week will also see a number of improvements made in the way in which we handle the email that we identify as spam.

As of next Thursday, email identified as [-SPAM-] will no longer be delivered to your Inbox. Instead it will be delivered to a dedicated spam folder that will be available for you to check online. In the unlikely event that an email gets incorrectly identified as spam, you will be able to choose to have the message moved from the spam folder and downloaded to your machine. Emails left in the spam folder will be automatically deleted after 30 days. For advanced users, there will also be an option to download spam to a separate IMAP mailbox.

From next week all of your mail will be filtered for spam and any identified emails moved to your online spam folder. This will help cut down the volumes of any spam emails arriving in your inbox.

Whilst it is not recommended, we do recognise that some customers may not want to take advantage of these improvements, or may prefer to turn spam filtering off altogether. For this reason we are providing you with the opportunity to advise us how you would like our mail servers to manage any spam email sent to your addresses. If you haven't done so already, you can choose your preferred method of delivery at the following address. Alternatively you can browse to our website and follow the links to the Member Centre:

http://portal.plus.net/

Don't worry if you're unsure at the moment how you want your spam to be managed. You can always change your preference at a later date should you need to, and if you take no action as a result of this email, the only result is that you will see less spam in your mailbox!

You can find more suggestions on how to reduce levels of spam to your email account by visiting our online help pages:

http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml

Please note that Spam Protection is a feature of our POP3/IMAP email service. If you are running your own (SMTP) mail server, you will not benefit from its protection.

Kind Regards,

Carol Axe
Head of Customer Service
PlusNet
br1anstorm
Grafter

SPAM filtering - clarification please

My brain may just be addled after reading through the six parts of the "Dodgy email" thread and the complex analyses on the Users Group forum. I've also read the FAQs and Carol Axe's message. I'm still trying to understand the whole business of redirects and aliases, never mind new mailboxes and usernames. But in terms of specific current anti-spam measures, I'm not sure if PlusNet is offering what I think I want!

i) I want PlusNet to filter my traffic for possible spam;

ii) I want them to mark it in the subject line - as is happening now;

iii) but I would rather have it marked and downloaded into my Inbox so I can check it (for any messages caught in error) than put into a folder which I can only access by logging in separately online to PlusNet webmail. This is mainly because I haven't used PN webmail previously, and after this episode would rather not start doing so...

Right now, the measures PN has taken suit me. I have the existing PN spam filter on, and the spam I'm getting is almost all correctly marked as [-SPAM-].

But if I read the latest guidance correctly, after 24 May the options will be (a) choose Spam Protection, in which case suspected spam will go into a webmail folder; or (b) choose not to have Spam Protection filtering, in which case all(?) mail will come through into my email inboxes - without any warning markings inserted in the subject line?

Is this latter interpretation right? Or if I choose not to have Spam Protection divert suspect messages to an online folder, can I continue to have PlusNet's filters mark such messages [-SPAM-] as they download them to my Inbox?

Hope someone can clarify this...before 24 May!

holmside33
Mand
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Hi there,

With the changes being rolled out on Thursday you will have 3 basic choices:

1) Have no filtering on and no marking mail as [-SPAM-].

2) Have the filtering and marking work exactly as it does now, mail is scanned for probability of being spam, messages are marked [-SPAM-] but download to your inbox as normal.

3) Have the filtering and marking work as it does now, however mail marked [-SPAM-] is moved to a spam folder, which is accessible via webmail or IMAP.

I appreciate that there's been a lot of information to handle over the last week, but hope that clears this particular issue up for you. Smiley
grimreality
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Thank-you all who answered.
br1anstorm
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Thanks, Mand, for such a clear answer. Makes clear that we'll have three options. Carol Axe's message rather left the impression that it would be an either/or choice: filter on or filter off. I'm going to see how this one works...

[...]

2) Have the filtering and marking work exactly as it does now, mail is scanned for probability of being spam, messages are marked [-SPAM-] but download to your inbox as normal.

I appreciate that there's been a lot of information to handle over the last week, but hope that clears this particular issue up for you. Smiley

Yes. It's been a busy week. But hey, at least life with PlusNet is seldom boring!

holmside33
mapletree
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

3) Have the filtering and marking work as it does now, however mail marked [-SPAM-] is moved to a spam folder, which is accessible via webmail or IMAP.

I would like to see another option similar to (3) where all spam email for all mailboxes is moved to a single spam folder. This would save me time sorting through the family's spam.

M
Community Veteran

New SPAM Email filter

Then do vote for the item @ http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=306

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mand
Grafter

New SPAM Email filter

Yep, so would we. Smiley

We're looking at that for the future, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate this was work already specc'ed which has been pushed forward due to the recent issues.