cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Good or Bad

N/A

New Router Good or Bad

Hi I've just installed a new Netgear DG834G wireless router ( only took me 3 hours Shockedops: think I got it right :shock: ) I don't know much about routers to be honest as I've had a green frog until now, I was looking at the stats page ( total jibberish to me) and I got these results can someone be kind enough to tell if these stats are any good.

Connection Speed 6912 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation down 36 db up 11 db
Noise Margin down 0 db up 16 db
Any infor would be appreciated

Many thanks

Del
9 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

New Router Good or Bad

The downstream SNR (Noise Margin) of 0dB would indicate that you won't get a good connection at the present speed and it will probably need to increase to about 6dB which will mean a sync speed of about 3500kbps.

If you can improve the SNR by improving your connection with the things you have access to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm you might see an improvement
N/A

New Router Good or Bad

Shellsong thanx for the info I'll try the BT test socket first and see what happens
and I'll keep an eye on the SNR hopefully as I've just connected the router it might settle down in the next couple of days.

Many thanx

Del

P.s do I leave the router plugged in all the time as I turn my computer off over night ?
N/A

New Router Good or Bad

Hey Shell, thanks for posting that, made me decide to double check mine, two images below, 1 normal, through an extension lead, the other straight from router into the engineers socket behind the faceplate, both VERY similar readings, that I presume, means my extension is good quality stuff?

N/A

New Router Good or Bad

there's nothing to worry about there in terms of difference - you got a good extension
shellsong
Grafter

New Router Good or Bad

@robynfali

You've not got any worries about your stats at least! Tongue

@barkingspider

I've not gone through the mangling of MaxDSL yet so I can only stand on the sidelines giving sage advice like one of the lager swilling couch potatoes at a football match! Cheesy

As a mere observer of the present game I understand it's best to disconnect your router for about 30 mins every 2-3 days during the 10 day training period. Switching off the computer and leaving the router on probably doesn't make much odds but won't count as a disconnect

Gerry
N/A

New Router Good or Bad

Thanx again Gerry
N/A

New Router Good or Bad

I've never really understood why people seem to recommend all this unplugging and plugging back in malarky. You shouldn't be doing this. As long as your house wiring is all kosher, your modem will work its way to its maximum stable sync rate anyway (the way dslMAX is supposed to operate) and your data rate matched with it.

Unplugging / plugging / rebooting is just asking for trouble. Why do you think people are having so many problems?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

New Router Good or Bad

@gotdsl

MaxDSL is a lot more fussy about line conditions, so if you are syncing below 8128 or the noise margin at that speed drops below 6db it's worth investigating if things can be improved. Given that most phone extensions will have been fitted before ADSL was even thought about, a lot of them may be sub-standard.

However, if you are getting 8128 with db to spare then the less messing about the better.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shellsong
Grafter

New Router Good or Bad

I'm basically repeating advice given by knowledgeable people like Peter Vaughan-- disconnects every 2-3 days allegedly assists the training process and can help "unstick" the process if it gets locked up but frequent disconnects can cause the BT equipment to diagnose and compensate for a fault condition that isn't there thus hindering the "training"
DSLMAX upgrades do tend to be done at night.

rbentley, No idea where you got the 3 times an hour from. Maybe you are confusing it with disconnecting once per day for 3 days to try and force the exchange to set a new MSR as explained on the MSR PN page.

During the 10 day trialling phase, you should disconnect a few times (not per day) at different times during the day/night so the resync checks are done at different times thus getting a better overall setting for your line.