cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Registrations - F9 need to change policy

N/A

I've just built my nephew a new computer, as he is starting to learn Information Technology at his school, and wanted one to help with his studies. Not only that his mother also wanted to use it for internet access so they can start doing many of the things other users use it for and my nephew wants to get into online gaming.

I recommended them to contact F9 and ask to register for the Broadband Premier as this will give them everything they want and will only cost £21.99 a month.

So of they went and phoned F9 to join, and were promptly told by the person on the end of the line 'Sorry we can't take new registrations via phone, you have to do it online'.

So F9 if someone has never had internet access, and have just got a computer, how are they supposed to sign-up, if they have no access at all. A bit daft telling them you must sign-up via the web ain't it. Other ISP's can do so why not you.

This means that their sign-up is delayed until I next speak with them, when I'm in front of my computer and they are available to give me all their bank details to enter for them.

And no they can't just pop round and enter the details as they live 200 miles away.

So come on F9 allow new users to sign-up via phone, especially when your customers are recommending them, saying how good the service is you provide...

regards
mike
11 REPLIES
N/A

So true, and before someone suggests doing it at school/library/internet cafe, just think for a few more seconds.

* time for thinking *

Would you want your banking details being entered via a shared pc which could have key loggers/viruses on?
N/A

come on F9, no replies from your side on this, seems a bit odd...

regards
mike
N/A

http://www.f9.net.uk/support/general/signup_faq.shtml#iwanttosign

2. I want to signup for an account, but my computer doesn't have an Internet connection. Can you help?
N/A

2. I want to signup for an account, but my computer doesn't have an Internet connection. Can you help?

This assumes that the person wanting to sign up has an analogue modem they can configure, and doing this manually for a non-techie is probably enough to send them running to another ISP that does accept telephone signups.

I must admit this sounds daft that an ISP is only interested in attracting customers who are already internet users, rather than the untapped market of the first timers... or maybe f9 are not that stupid afterall... by making it hard for first timers to sign up, think of how much customer service effort they will save by not having to hand-hold the net virgins who don't know what they're doing.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There are a number of reasons why we do not accept telephone signups. With ADSL it is very important that the telephone number and postcode etc are supplied correctly, if these are misheard then the order can be placed on completely the wrong line.

Also, when someone signs up over the phone there is no real way to show that they have seen and agreed to the Terms and Conditions.
N/A

well if AOL can do it then surely F9 can do it

how hard is it to get the wrong info when someone phones up

when customers phone up you ask for our usernames, and 2 letters from our password

I work for a customer support company and for new customers we take their postcode, etc and repeat it back to them, to ensure it is correct.

regards
mike

ps - if they don't have access and want someone else to enter the details for them as they don't know the termonolgy etc then they won't have see the t&c's anyway
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't think the position on this is going to change because the issue of the T's & C's is the key reason for not accepting a telephone signup.

If a customer doesn't have Internet access then their first opportunity to see the T's & C's would be once they've received their modem and the service is active at which point they would be well within their rights to say they don't agree with a certain aspect of them at which either customer is going to be £80 out of pocket for no fault of their own, or we would be.

As Ben also says it's also important to ensure that the correct details are recorded, but probably just as important is how much of the support team's time would this take up. One of the most important parts of our business is automation. The vast majority of our orders go through the system completely untouched by anyone with no manual intervention. By the support team taking telephone signups we lose some of that advantage.
N/A

so really it seems so much hazzle referring people for a 50p deduction in your monthly fee.

i know now then that any new pc owners that what an internet account and ask me for recommendation, we'll be told to go with someone else.

regards
mike
David_W
Rising Star

I kinda agree that its silly to have people needing internet access to get internet access, it reminds me of the old modem catch 22. My modem doesnt work because my drivers are too old! Go on the internet and download the latest ones! How?

One way I can think of, if people ask "I'd like to join please" by telephone, you can say "ok, you need to set your modem up to dial [freephone number], fill out the form there, and you'll be connected instantly". The freephone number's DNS pointing every website to http://www.force9.co.uk/signup.php or whatnot, so people are sure the T&C are in place.

If they do not have a modem, some dont, you can tell them that you will connect them, for a fee, but before they can use your service they must accept the T&C. When the account is activated, its flagged as "Deactive" which means every site they try to visit goes straight to terms.php which they must agree to, and when they click "I agree", the account is automatically set to "Active" and the restrictions on websites lifted.

Makes much more sence than "grab a freeserve cd and sign up with them before you can with us, thanks Smiley"
N/A

If they do not have a modem, some dont, you can tell them that you will connect them, for a fee, but before they can use your service they must accept the T&C. When the account is activated, its flagged as "Deactive" which means every site they try to visit goes straight to terms.php which they must agree to, and when they click "I agree", the account is automatically set to "Active" and the restrictions on websites lifted.

Problem with this is that f9 will be out of pocket for the fee paid to BT if the new customer refuses to accept the T&C's.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

One way I can think of, if people ask "I'd like to join please" by telephone, you can say "ok, you need to set your modem up to dial [freephone number], fill out the form there, and you'll be connected instantly". The freephone number's DNS pointing every website to http://www.force9.co.uk/signup.php or whatnot, so people are sure the T&C are in place.

If they do have a 56k modem then is something what we do actually do. We'll give out the 0845 number, you can use the username/password signup/signup and go to the portal to register.