cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Package for Peer-to-Peer Users?

N/A

Looking at the bandwidth stats on Plusnet network usage it seems that Peer-to-Peer traffic accounts for a disproportionate amount of network traffic (and central pipe hogging).

Perhaps it's time that Plusnet sold a product specifically for those who wish to engage in Peer-To-Peer activities and let the rest of us benefit from lower prices and superfast internet speeds for web browsing and e-mail.

With advanced management systems in place this should be relatively straight-forward and would better direct the costs onto those individuals who utilise the most bandwidth. :lol:
22 REPLIES
N/A

Nice idea and it has been suggested before, but the costs of such a product would make it unnactractive tbh.

Bandwidth and ancillary costs would ensure that not too many, if any, people would buy the product, even if there was a generous amount of bandwidth included. I reckon what we have now is as good as we are going to get until wholesale costs improve.
N/A

What is wrong with the way things are currently done? I assume that this post is piggybacking off the 'extra charges for peer-to-peer downloads' thread?

If you only use a tiny amount of bandwidth the get a payg account!!!
N/A

Re: New Package for Peer-to-Peer Users?

With advanced management systems in place this should be relatively straight-forwardand would better direct the costs onto those individuals who utilise the most bandwidth. :lol:

Nothing seems to be straight forward in PlusNet land at the moment, relative or not I'm afraid. Smiley

PAYG is ok though; and you do get free bandwidth between xx.xx hours and xx.xx hours; the times may vary according to the coil in the whim-wom on the ball gadgy.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Re: New Package for Peer-to-Peer Users?

Perhaps it's time that Plusnet sold a product specifically for those who wish to engage in Peer-To-Peer activities and let the rest of us benefit from lower prices and superfast internet speeds for web browsing and e-mail.

It exists already, and is called Premier.

--
Neil
shellsong
Grafter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
N/A

No Piggybacking Here!

SimonArrgent wrote

"What is wrong with the way things are currently done? I assume that this post is piggybacking off the 'extra charges for peer-to-peer downloads' thread?

If you only use a tiny amount of bandwidth the get a payg account!!!"

Completely misses the point of the post - and somewhat personal in tone. Sad This post was independent of other threads and expresses a valid point of view.
N/A

gerry, what I am saying is that with the different packages, you CAN get lower prices.

If you are only using mail and web browsing then all you really need is the payg package which is a lower price. If you are download hefty amounts then you need the premier package which costs more.

And while this may be a valid point of view I was merely stating that there is another thread with pretty much the same thoughts, just worded differently!
N/A

Surely the bulk of p2p involves downloading copyrighted material illegally so shouldnt they pay more for the privilegeHuh ie) Dodgy copys of films etc at god knows how may Gbs.
N/A

Do you call Open Office dodgey?
http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

How about tribes legends?
http://legendsthegame.net/
http://legendsthegame.net/index.php?m=fileswap&view=65

There are Legit uses for p2p as well as illigit!

I use it for legit... would you stop me? Why when I break no law?
N/A

Johnathon - you're clearly missing an important word
"Surely the bulk of p2p..."

While certain distribution of software and other material is legitimately done using peer-to-peer, it is also true that the vast majority of traffic is not of legitimate material.

I hope that in the longer term, the distribution by this method does not increase, because I have greater trust in downloading software direct from the developers or their authorised distribution schemes (such as a big downloads service) than from a 'torrent' where a corrupted or infected version may have replaced the legitimate version.
N/A

Still, some stuff I use p2p to download - like open office.. because I dont want to put a large ammount of strain and bandwidth costs onto thier server, when they've been kind enough to do all that work, and make the software in the first place.

(And yes, bandwith is quite pricy!)

How would you seperate legit uses, like mine from ilegit?

How would you stop me being punished for somthing that others do?

(And yes, I know the bult is used, but I'm not bulk, and I wouldnt want to be lumped in the bulk!)
N/A

How about an "allowance" of say 750 MB a month... Exceed it and pay something extra on a sliding scale. Don't use it and it rolls over to the next month (and doesn't expire).

That way some light or non-user who after X months needed to use peer-to-peer to get something, would be able to do so without any worries.

But someone transferring 20 GB a month would need to reach into their wallet... or change ISP.
N/A

750 isnt enough. Thats one CD. OK, thats Open Office.

What about legends? What about Ubuntu?

I'm still being penalised for my use of it.

Oh, also, and double the allowance:
P2p always Uploads as well as Downloads - thats how it works. (Evryone shares to everyone what they have downloaded.) So the data transfered will always be more than the size of what you want.
N/A

I don't know what it would take to download Legends or Ubuntu

Do you download these every month or two ?

Mine was only a suggestion - fair enough if the amount I suggested was too low for your need, but you could surely see the way it was intended - those who are flagrantly abusing copyright on material presumably download several times what you do, and are being given a cheap ride by the 90% of Premier and other customers who are using less than 10 GB a month.

Only need to see the graph of traffic usage to know from 50% to 75% is peer-to-peer, night and day, every day of the week.

That's not a few people getting 50 or 100 MB of free software.