cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PN SPam filter - TYVM

iainmacmillan
Grafter

Having used Mail Washer Pro for a number years to combat the 100's of spam emails i was getting per week, although initially dismayed that PN had a major issue with the mail system, I have to say thanks for fixing it so quickly, and for providing a better spam filtering service.

My wife and I have noticed a vast difference in the last week, only removing about 20+ spam messages per week, rather than 300+. Whatever you have done, keep it up, I know from my current job, how hard it is to keep IT services running, and the problems that can arise when dealing with 'users'.

Thank you very much, keep up the good work, I know others are not quite happy/there yet, but at least your showing that your are making progress.
19 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

Glad to see that the spam filter is having a positive effect for you.

We are all aware how much of a problem was caused by the recent events and hopefully the steps that we have taken will significantly minimise the impact on our customers.

For what its worth all the changes that we have made were planned as part of our ongoing anti spam project but some were rolled early because of the situation.

Thanks for the positive comments.
hamsandwich
Grafter

I'm still getting significantly more spam than I was before thanks to you ********s
rahewitt
Grafter

I don't think that was really necessary, was it?

I was already receiving quite alot of spam, due to my foolishly posting to a newsgroup in a hurry, without disguising my email addess. I won't do that again.

Unfortunately some of my other emails accounts including one for my girlfriend started to receive quantities of spam after this hacking incident. But the new Spam measures have largely caught most of this. I'm also remarkably surprised by the complete lack of false positives with this new system. Unless I've missed some...

I too would like to thank those that have worked hard to try and minimise this problem with Spam. Smiley
alben
Grafter

Not convinced about the spam filter. most of this spam is about the same stuff,wonder*** and still it comes (pun intended) Most go to the spam folder but every day some gets through, how do they vary them,how are they analyzed? I do forward the ones that get through.Surely any mention of W* or girth could be filtered as easily as this will be *****sake

Alan
N/A

We are all aware how much of a problem was caused by the recent events and hopefully the steps that we have taken will significantly minimise the impact on our customers.

Previously, my email addresses, including my domain hosted with plus, were 100% spam free (I use free webmail addresses for forum registration, online purchasing and other such activities.) Thanks to plus' spam debacle, I receive a large amount of spam now.

Interestingly, every single piece of junk email that makes it through plus' spam filter is properly identified by thunderbird's junk mail filter. Whilst I don't know the exact details of plus' filter, I suspect that it uses some sort of heuristic scanning. If so, I'm not wholly convinced that it's learning quickly enough.

For example, here are the X headers in some recent spam:

<snip>

X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-DSPAM-Result: Innocent
X-DSPAM-Processed: Sun Jun 3 13:06:09 2007
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.5051
X-DSPAM-Improbability: 1 in 103 chance of being spam
X-DSPAM-Probability: 0.0025
X-DSPAM-Factors: 27,

</snip>

...so dspam thinks it's innocent. I won't bore you with the exact nature of the message, but thunderbird was able to identify it as more pill-peddling junk. Each piece of spam that makes it through the filter is forwarded back to:

spam@despamchecker.plus.com

...in the hope that it improves. Not much luck so far. Sad
chrisc
Grafter

@paulspandler,

The filters can be trained with the information that we receive from messages forwarded to spam@despamchecker.plus.com.

Unfortunately this does not happen overnight however the more messages that we get the more we can train the filter.
Community Veteran

Have been out of the country for the past week. Hundreds of spam in my Squirrel Mail Spam folder, plus about 10 that the filter had not picked up on in my OE Inbox.

Anyway what is the latest with regards to change of user name?

Can someone from PlusNet please respond.
chrisc
Grafter

Have a look here for more information on changing usernames, free domains and so on.
driveconsultant
Grafter

I also think that the new filtering system is better. It allows me to control spam better without actually downloading it. It also allows me to protect some of my users by deleting the spam without them seeing it.

I have seen an increase since the unfortunate address theft incident, in particular spams to addresses that never saw it before. However, I don't think it's fair to go on and on at the PlusNet staff, it wasn't exactly their fault. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I expect if they had know there were security flaws in the system they would have fixed them. Probably.

Now - what we need in the spam filtering system is an option to score the spam and delete the stuff that is 99% certainly spam, just leaving stuff that may or may not be spam. Any chance?
waldron
Grafter

Have a look here for more information on changing usernames, free domains and so on.

If I change my username using this method, what happens to subsequent emails sent to mailboxes for my 'old' username? Will they be lost?
Mand
Grafter

Now - what we need in the spam filtering system is an option to score the spam and delete the stuff that is 99% certainly spam, just leaving stuff that may or may not be spam. Any chance?

It's certainly something we aim to offer. The next phase of the spam project is in development at the moment, so we'll have more news for you soon on this.
Mand
Grafter

If I change my username using this method, what happens to subsequent emails sent to mailboxes for my 'old' username? Will they be lost?

Hi there,

Your old account would be cancelled, so yes any mail would be lost.

You can downgrade the old account to a dialup one if you wish, however I imagine this would somewhat defeat the point of the change as you would then need to check two accounts for mail.
Teds31
Grafter

I think the Spam situation is much better,I used to get about 30 per day and that was before the incident with the E-mail problem which didnt increase my spam by the way,I now get about 3 a day but I didnt know about spam@despamchecker.plus.com which I will now start useing.I think we should all try to help in anyway we can,it is in our interests after all.
Stuart22
Grafter

spam filter slow to learn - help it please!

The amount I and hopefully others have been "spamming" despam@spamchecker.plus.net with my wonder*** spam I am amazed that it has not cottoned on to the fact that this may actually be a sign of spam. Can the training not be manually overridden for these obvious cases? Like regardless of any other indicators this marks it as definite spam.

Another "obvious to the human" indication of the recent spam attacks is the frequency of url links without a www.