Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PAYG deal - later in year

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just received this e-mail from PlusNet
Coming up this year

Free night-time downloads - We've got a fantastic bonus for night-owls. Later this year we'll be offering free downloads between midnight and 8am, when our network isn't as busy. Any usage between these hours won't count towards your monthly total so you can make those downloads without worrying about the cost.

Question is what will be the shaping or priority of this.
At present all protocols are effectively unshaped on PAYG. Does this mean that when this new deal comes in the free of charge downloads will have the same priority as on BB+ i.e. in the bronze queue and will the BB+ usage limits also apply to the PAYG free period. If this is the case I assume that all downloads overnight will be comparatively slow.
6 REPLIES
N/A

If its like BB+ you can assume that your downloads during the day will be comparatively slow too...
Community Veteran

Until the full details of the product have been decided it is unlikely you will get an answer - A lot may change between now and when the product is changed that could alter any answer given now..

I suspect it will just be the case that the speeds and shaping will remain exactly as they are now on PAYG, the only difference is you get free traffic overnight. There may be a limit imposed on how much you can download overnight to stop those on 8MBs speeds causing too much impact on others, but that is just a guess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It appears that just sometimes they do take notice of suggestions posted in here:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36834
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Ahh, then the PAYG and eventually Plus graphs can all match the Premier one!
(with peak usage is actually between midnight and 6am).
N/A

I might swap over to that if the deal is stuctured right. I have never got into double GB figures with day time downloads as I do all my downloading overnight (I average 20-30gb a month on premier). I do wonder what it will do to the spare overnight capacity though.
N/A

That'd certainly make PAYG appeal more, as I'm quite happy to keep "peak time" usage down to a few GB and use more overnight... Will be interesting to see what's announced.