cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New New peak time (4-12) what applies

N/A

Just curious and can't see a CLEAR answer but when the new Bits-n-bobs start at the end of this month its stated about the usage at peak times etc is just going to be 4-12.

What counts towards the monthly peak time usage ?? is it just my P2P/FTP that goes toward my total of 10GB or does it mean my Total peaktime use including http downloads, movie trailers/streaming and general stuff.

If its just P2P/ftp stuff thats counted towards the total peak time usage then are we going to get a usage chart for P2P use so we know what we have used in a P2P/ftp sense and not a total of all combined..

And I still cant see the Good of getting an 8mb speed ( 4x faster than i have now) and only getting twice the amount of usage allowance.
Still I suppose ebay, google and yahoo will load that much quicker.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
13 REPLIES
JonnyF
Grafter

Re: New New peak time (4-12) what applies

And I still cant see the Good of getting an 8mb speed ( 4x faster than i have now) and only getting twice the amount of usage allowance.
Still I suppose ebay, google and yahoo will load that much quicker.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

A third of the usage than before! Plusnet have quite comfortably killed off any advantages of faster connections, and apparently websites wont load any quicker, everyone else is to blame for any poor speeds you may see. Oh and no more usenet servers either, did they mention that?

Though I guess you should join the discussions on the thread that has already been started, its very serious?

Jon.
N/A

In short,

Everything will count. All http, all FTP all P2P all pop3 all smtp etc etc will count towards the first 15GB of peak time usage if your on premier up to 2mb ( an each respective product there after ) and the same goes for BB+.

Regards,
JonnyF
Grafter

Although really its only 10gb unrestricted on Premier (dont know the figures on the other packages) after 10gb some sort of restrictions kick in, although after a very in depth announcement Plusnet failed to be specific on these restrictions, and left us all in the dark.... again!

Jon.
JonnyF
Grafter

Actually, Plusnet have just announced the restrictions after the first 10gb peak here...

link

Well, they could have been worse I suppose?

Jon.
N/A

are we going to get a usage chart for P2P use so we know what we have used

You will be pleased to know that this months marvellous product upgrade (PlusNet's word, not mine) includes a VMBU which charts you p2p usage. Of course, it's not going to be any use now that everything counts towards the allowance. Thanks PlusNet, you really are spoiling us this time.
Ianwild
Grafter

It is very useful for those customers who want to know where their bandwidth is going.

At the end of the day, whatever traffic you transfer costs us the same*, and so there isn't much point from our side in seperating it up...

We were told our products were too complicated, and so we simplified them. I regard that as a good thing personally...

* That is a massive over simplification in fact, but it is more or less the case.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Sorry Ian, I was being a little bit facetious - of course it's nice to have the detailed info. :-)
I just meant that it would have been nicer to have had it at hand over the last few months when the precise amount of p2p traffic was more relevant.
I reached level 1 management in the first month of 'clean-to' allowance but probably wouldn't have done if I'd known just where my usage was going
JonnyF
Grafter

But the traffic is seperated! I think you announced it on the link above! Talk about left arm doesnt know what the right arm is doing!?

I think the packages have been simplified your right there - dont use your account for anything other than browsing and email - simple.

If I sound slightly cheesed, I am - especially when I get all my recomended friends ringing me up asking what the heck is going on with plusnet, and how do they go about leaving!

Incidently, if my recommendations do leave because of these vast changes, I hope I still get to keep my discount - after all it would be grossly unfair to expect me to pay more again for a worse service than I had x months ago?

Jon.
N/A

Actually, Plusnet have just announced the restrictions after the first 10gb peak here...

link

Well, they could have been worse I suppose?

Jon.

Oh my god. LOL.

Thank fuck I am moving at the end of this month.

LOL
___oDiN__
Grafter

can people opt out of the changes i mean not take the speed increases and stay on the speed/package they are on?

i have a few clients who i recommened and setup who arnt interested in higher speeds and would be happy to stay on the package they are on now ( the one they signed up for)
Ritey
Grafter

remember the days of unlimited broadband.... i think im still on the same contract. :roll:

They were like little ninja turtles how they changed all that in front of our eyes Cool
N/A

oh dear

i always said id avoid cable but i think this is really the end of plusnet as we know it. Effectively, premier has become plus and plus has become.....well something not worth evenhaving...analogue? Someone pls correct if I'm wrong

cheers
N/A

At the end of the day, whatever traffic you transfer costs us the same*, [snip] * That is a massive over simplification in fact, but it is more or less the case.
Strange - that wasn't the impression I got from the PN CSR when the lower 20GB/month cap, um, sorry, limit, erm, ...(?) was introduced. NNTP (including external access) was suddenly this terrible thing. Gawd, I was annoyed when the 20GB NNTP limit came in, but now I'd cheer to receive it :shock:

Stuart (getting dizzy from the spin)