cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Line Activation Failed

LiamM
Grafter

Placed an order for a line activation a couple of weeks ago for a new line that was being installed last Tuesday.

The order was placed for 2Mb last Tuesday, my £14.99 taken by Direct Debit for the Activation Charge.

Order went through without problems, got a line activation date of today.

In my experience, at this exchange, all of my referrals / clients have been activated early, and therefore I plugged in equipment this morning to expect service on the new line. Nothing happened. A quick call to Customer Support has since revealed that BT have reported 0 capacity at the exchange to provision my line.

The helpful guy I spoke to basically said (and after checking with a colleague) that there is absolutely nothing he, or anyone could do, but sit back and wait for it to happen - at some point in time in the future.

I have issues with this however,

a) The exchange checker shows my exchange as having Green Port Capacity and Green VP Capacity

b) The BT engineer who installed my line said that my exchange had tons of capacity, because although it is a rural exchange, it is off a major route in the BT trunk network. He also said that the DSLAM is nowhere near at capacity - as we have 1 DSLAM and only 1000 lines total.

c) Even if there was no capacity, I cannot believe you cannot do anything about it. You have paid BT £50 + VAT, and they're just gunna sit there with your cash and give you no answer as to what is happening? The guy I spoke to said there is no way of contacting BT, everything is automated - and if the automated system says no - then there is nothing anyone can do.

d) If there isn't capacity, why does the checker say there is? The agent I spoke to also used an exchange checker (not sure if you have an internal one - more up to date), but he said it was definately showing Green.

e) Why do BT accept an order from you, if there is no capacity at the exchange?

I also have another issue with this.

I have just referred two clients in the village, off the same exchange. One of them got extremely unhappy with me after I advised her there would be a delay to her activation as PN had to submit DD details first (I was not aware of this for the Free Activation offer - it isn't made very clear on signup). Now, that order is going to fail again isn't it? Due to no capacity?

I'm about to kick something.
9 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

csogilvie
Grafter

In the 3 weeks since that was updated, the status could have changed, though, Liam. I'm not sure how often BT provide Port Capacity updates, though... perhaps PPSlim will know.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The exchange capacity data works in arrears, the report on usertools could well have been put together a month ago.

The situation is unfortunately if BT say there is no capacity then there is nothing that can be done untill capacity is increased. You might get lucky if someone cancels before capacity is increased, but other than that we just have to wait I'm afraid.
LiamM
Grafter

I've just spoken to my local BT engineer friend (his main role is ISDN - ADSL Activations - he drinks in the local pub, so thats how I know him) and he has said that there are definately no issues with capacity at the Craddock exchange, to which I am connected and he would physically activate me himself if he was allowed to.

I also know somebody else who has just had their PN activation put through without a problem.

Are you able to resubmit my order?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What's the username, I'll take a look?
LiamM
Grafter

PM'ed you.
LiamM
Grafter

Well after speaking to my contact at BT Wholesale directly, he was able to push this through and I'm now activated.

Apparently the capacity at my exchange was being worked on as it was being shared by a couple of the other exchanges in my area. The work completed yesterday and he got them to activate my line for me.

So, everything is now fine.

Incidentally, my referrals were today advised the bulk regrades are occuring from Friday Smiley
painswck
Grafter

So your local BT engineer was not actually giving you correct information in the pub then. Guess he should owe you a pint or two. Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

What I was told yesterday is that we were only without capacity for a few days because they nicked our capacity for some other exchanges.